British number plate replacement letter/numbers

I have a 48 1.5 Saloon, MkIV. Any idea where I can get replacement individual numbers/letters for the rear number plate?

Ace Peak Plates in the UK, their web site is expired but they are still on facebook.

James,

They come up rarely on UK Ebay. There’s an American Ebay site that specialize in Rolls Royce & Bentley that have a huge selection. I cant recall their name.sorry!
Art

theluxuryjunkyard.com
I tried them for D-shaped taillight lenses but they had none.

Tks for replies, I searched but could not fine the site mentioned. If anyone has a link I’d appreciate it.

James,

They come up rarely on UK Ebay. There’s an American Ebay site that specialize in Rolls Royce & Bentley that have a huge selection. I cant recall their name.sorry!

ROB

There are a god few, al shapes on Ebay UK just now.

[lucas red d lens | eBay](https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?
from=R40&_trksid=p2060353.m570.l1313&_nkw=lucas+red+d+lens&_sacat=0)
Art

Found this link in another post.

Never tried this lead but there is a seller on ebay at

Tks, took a quick look. Appears to have mostly cutout stuff. Mine are the slid in rectangles with black base and white letters.
I’m thinking a sign shope could make them.

James, you might try here:

I think it’s true to say that there is no current manufacturer of the translucent digits used originally on the rear of these cars. As I see it there are three options:

1. Acquire original digits either used or NOS.
  2. Find someone with a 3D printer and the skill to design as per the originals.
  3. Locate non-translucent digits of the original form, paint them white and mount them on a black board mounted at the back of the lightbox behind the glass such that the side lamps illuminate the front side of the digits.

My SS Jaguar wouldn’t win any concours but I have lived with solution 3. for the last 25 years and I can’t recall anyone pointing out how wrong it looks. They are also clearly lit at night.

Peter

3 Likes

Another source for number plates and parts is Jepson & Co… The firm has been making plates for about 120 years. They have a variety of styles and materials. I’ve never used them but have seen them featured on televised car shows. They have a website at

https://www.jepsonandco.com/ready-made-plates/vintage-classic-plates/

Tks, great web site. Unfortunately they do not make plates that are illuminated from behind or individual letters/numbers.

Do you mean like this?

Or how about posting a picture of yours?

I will admit that KMG’s characters are much closer to the correct font of the original ACE translucent ones. I didn’t put a lot of effort into sourcing my characters as I considered it a temporary solution until I managed to find a full set of correct original ACE translucents for my car. I never did and just lived with mine for more that 25 years now.

Peter

Here’s what mine looks like:

That’s what it should look like.
So why do you seek more characters?
(Apart from the fact that DVLA doesn’t know about your car.)

Peter

Was thinking about changing to something I wanted, but will likely leave it alone now.

That sounds like a good plan, especially if you ever wanted to sell the car back in Britain where the original registration is a distinct asset.

Peter