Broadsport 5 Speed?

Thanks for posting, Ralph. Let us know how the installation goes. Is this going into the S2 or S1?

Cedric
San Francisco
’64 FHC, stroked 3.8
’79 S2 XJ12
’02 XJR

Although I was the first of the bunch to get the box, it will be probably fitted last: it is my coming summer project.
It will be for the S1, with a 3.31 diff, moving away from the original Moss but with still the same ratios for 1-4.
On a separate note, in the third pic you can see the studs that fit onto the original bellhousing. There is one stud missing, for which I have raised a query at Broadsport. They promptly commented that this is normal because of the clutch mechanism location inside the bellhousing of the E Type.
And I am curious to learn from Brian whether the shifter mechanism is the same as the one seen in my pics.
This box has a very good reputation within the XK community on this side of the pond, in terms of performance and reliability. I am also exchanging with a UK fellow having one on his S1, with apparently high satisfaction.

Hi Brian,
My box arrived, today. It is, in fact the “billet” shifter mechanism, so same as yours, it seems.

Thanks much, in advance, for looking for your photos. No great rush as I am still some months out on installation.

Thanks again,

Huff

To all the people who have received their Broadsport 5 Speed. I got a call from the shipper of my gearbox, they wanted to know the importer of the box so they could charge duty. Did anyone have to pay any customs fees on their gearbox? If not, do you have a copy of your customs forms?

Thanks
Mark Tangney

Hi Mark,

Mine was delivered by Fedex, after I was asked to fill out a form. I did not pay customs fees, The only additional info that was required was on/for this form:

(per shipper) CBP 5106 Instructions:
Please be sure to write in only dark ink. This is a form for Customs and Border Protection (CBP) and will not be valid if any scratch marks are made to correct something. I have indicated the boxes that will need to be completed on the form attached at the bottom of this email. Please complete the following boxes:

• Box 1 (mark "notification of Importer’s number”)
• 2b (social security #)
• 3 (your full name)
• 6 (mark “individual”)
• 7-10 (your mailing address)
• 12-15 (your physical address)
• 18-21

CUSTOMS FORM CBP Form 5106 (05-13).pdf (81.4 KB)

Hope this helps.

Huff

P.S. Let me know if you got a shifter knob, when the package arrives. H

I called the shipper, FEDEX. they are sending me the form Customs Form CBP 5106. They said there is a 2.5% duty on the box, and they will bill me. Has anyone received a bill?

Mark Tangney

Not me. Not yet, at least. I wouldn’t surprise me if some bill floated in, as they have an easy time of finding just about anyone, for anything, to pay a tax/fee.

Huff

I did get a metal shifter knob in the package, XK style. :sunglasses:
Please do not complaîn for the 2.5 tax, I had to pay 19% :joy:

It is the small things that can make a big difference- I also received a shifter knob with the shipment and was just tickled to find it included!

Huff

1 Like

If there is tax, that is ok. Unfortunately my shipment included someone else’s invoice, they ordered different things, and the price is very different. I do not want to pay tax on things I did not order. Because the invoice address and the shipping address do not match, the shipping company is confused on who is getting which shipment and how much each costs. I have no idea where the mistake is from, could be the shipping company or the shipper.

Mark Tangney

Yes , I ordered parts from the UK if your in the states about 4 years ago from a non US supplier.
It was almost a death threat notice 4 months later.
Never had it before,its been on the books but not enforced till about 4 years ago.
I never heard of it and thought it was a scam,but it wasn’t.
GTJOEY1314

I received my 5-speed days ago from Broadspeed – just got to unwrapping it. :heart_eyes: Some photos and notes

1. Very well packed and on a pallet. You can see double or triple layers of sturdy cardboard. Note the heavy plastic bag wrapped around the entire box

1. It came with a tag stating “V12” – must be mine
  2. Also came with 2 small bags of bits - nuts/washers and a shifter handle

1. Nice billet shift handle and knob

1. Today’s mail brought the notice from FedEx for custom fee: only $128. I can certainly live with that.
1 Like

Very nice!! Broadsport has been very good to work with. I think you will be very happy with the gearbox.

Just quick update on the Broadspeed transmission purchase. When I unpacked/unwrapped mine last week I discovered 2 additional items in the packing box lid. I was reluctant to mention them until I talked with Tom at Broadspeed – concerned I’d received items I hadn’t ordered and needed to pay for. I wanted/needed them items so I wasn’t going to return them.

It turns out that packed in a cardboard envelop and taped to the top of the packing box was a clutch disc and speedo cable (note bulging shape evident in the first photo I posted above). Tom confirmed these were part of the purchase and no additional charges were required.

In my mind, this simply made a great deal into an exceptional deal.

I am looking forward to installing this tranny but, for personal reasons, that will be at least 2 years hence.

Did you get a shifter knob?

Huff

My shop received the gearbox today but there was no paperwork included. Hmmm.

Cedric

Everytime you shift into 5th…Youll never doubt why you put it in!..
Good luck…
GTJOEY1314

Cedric, did your driveshaft show up also? I am waiting for my gearbox only, but my shipment has your paperwork. FedEx is confused.
Mar Tangney

Mark,

I anticipated that possibility but waited for my gearbox to arrive before replying. Yes, I did get the prop shaft, too. If your papers do show up with my shipment I’ll let you know, but as far as I know it didn’t.

I hope it won’t be too inconvenient for you to mail me the paperwork. My address is:

25 Sparta St.
San Francisco, CA. 94134

Thanks,

Cedric

Mark,

I replied directly to you.

Thanks,

Cedric