Building Realm C type

Hi All…Im based in the UK…My way in to Jag replicas was a Realm C type…grp body and a very nice tubular chassis…useing an early XJ6 as a doner car…and a recognised way to register it correctly…just a couple of photos …chassis is upside down ready to fit the ali floors…collection day of body and chassis

8 Likes

That looks like a fun project - I’m jealous. I have a question about the design of the chassis design. On the front suspension, it looks like the vertical loads which are carried up through the coilovers (yellow in the photo below) are then all translated into the small C-channel (red) which then acts like a moment arm translating these into the welded joint (blue).

If this is all correct, that seems it would place enormous stresses on the weld joint, especially the bottom part of the joint which would be in tension. Is there something else going on there that isn’t seen?

Hi Jeffrey…yes a really fun project. …the weld where you circled in blue isnt a C section but a box section as can be seen in the photo above of the upside down chassis…I know nothing about structual chassis design but this chassis gets very good reports from some well respected people…I know one example thats done 25k very hard miles with quite a bit if track use…i havnt heard of a failure…Yet…Steve

Thanks Steve, and good to hear of the frame’s reputation. Good luck with the project, and please keep us informed as you go. With lots of pics, of course!

Hi, I’m not sure how recently you posted this but I’m hoping to collect my car from realm in the next couple of weeks, it would be good to have a chat with you and compare notes.

Hi Chris…yes im building now…i think its possibly you joined the Replijag.com forum the start of my build is on there… (Steve Hook)…Say hi to Adrian from me…will pm you my phone number…Steve

Hi Steve, thanks for getting back so quickly, I’m hoping to collect my car (chassis and body) from Adrian in the next couple of weeks, fingers crossed,it’ll be great to speak to fellow builders to get tips and advice on pitfalls etc.

Cheers
Chris.

Hi Chris, could I suggest that you remove the email and ph no from the post and use the PM (private message) facility? Just for your safety.
Click on the persons avatar, as I have done here.

1 Like

Hi…if admin read this post can they please edit out Chris,s contact details…i have been in touch with him re helping with his new build…i think he cant edit his post becaus hes new to Jag Lovers…thanks…Steve…Thanks Admin…i note you have edited out the details…cheers Steve

1 Like

Hi all, given Dan Pinks recent response to the replica Jaguar market is anyone in U.K. part way through a build, at all concerned that JLR won’t come gunning for you?

Im in the UK 3/4 through my build. …i have no concerns…Steve

Realm and would love to ask a few question about these cars… Where are you located? I am in Los Angeles.

thx
BLair

Hi Blair…ask away here…or PM me if you prefer…Steve

Hi Steve,

So here are my first few observations and questions.

1. This car is truly gorgeous, I have had several Ferraris, Mclaren etc, but this thing is truly beautiful.

The brakes are very tight. Is this the normal setup . Very little pressure and you are stopped.

The clutch seems to grab at the top of the throw.
The steering column has bit of play in it. Is this normal?
Is there such as thing as a manual? I dont think my hazards are working.

Is there a group of US owners you know of?

OHHHH The big question. What do you guys do for side mirrors? Really want at least 1 driver side mirror, suggestions please?

Really looking forward to driving this thing.

Nice to meet you!

Blair

Please share in public, there are many of us that are keenly interested! :+1:t3:

2 Likes

Hi Blair…im assumeing that you have a Realm…so all GRP (fibreglass)…Adrian Cocking in the UK makes/supplies the body/chassis in house…most of these cars are “home” built so no 2 will be exactly the same…there is no manual and no US owners group as far as i know…most are built useing a “doner” xj6 for many parts…brakes/steering/clutch etc will all vary so down to the owner to build/set up to suit them…there is a good facebook group for all things Jaguar Historic thats worth joining…plenty of knowledge there on Realm Jaguar Historic Replica and Specials Register (Jaguar Drivers' Club) | Facebook plenty of wing wirror options if you google Jag C type and look at images…first photo Realm second Proteus…Steve
IMG_9685

1 Like

Hi Blair, realm are located in Evesham uk and are still making c type body’s, their phone number is, 01386 849116.

Like the bullit style better I think. Any thoughts on a little play in the steering colum as I said very little but not rock solid? th

Hi Blair…steering column in a Realm is typically Jag xj6…steering rack Morris Minor/MG midget…shouldnt really be any “play”…look for whatever is worn or loose…im assuming you have 2 universal joints have a look at these…or the upper steering column splines…typically this is extended by welding 2 upper column spline pieces together with a reinforcement rod down the center…inspect and make sure its all good…on most Realms builds the upper steering column adjuster is still in place but the large plastic adjuster boss removed…if adjuster isnt tight you will have a loose column…whats the actusal problem…does the steering wheel move up/down?..Steve

It movs perhaps a 1/4 inch left to right. Is there an actual adjustment somewhere on the column?

thx