Can of Worms; where to stop?

All the topics of hubs, brakes, u-joints, shocks, and IRS have got me wondering where to stop when I replace the u-joints in the IRS. I have ordered up-rated u-joints, green stuff brake pads, handbrake pads, and the hub puller tool. I am hoping to pull the hubs, take out the shafts, replace the U joints, and brake pads, with out the whole thing turning into a total rebuild of the rear end.

Steve 67 fhc

Ah, the joys of E-type ownership. Maintenance is like Columbo toying with a suspect, “Oh, just one more thing sir”. :relaxed:

New hub bearings and seals?

Do it properly, do it once.

3 Likes

Steve, you can take your repairs as far as you think you need to go. But if you miss something, you’re setting yourself up for that sinking oh-crap feeling soon after going through all of that work.

IRS tear down is a big job. But if I can do it, so can you. Keep in mind there are many VERY experienced members here ready to offer advice and share their knowledge. Reading the forums related to IRS rebuild work is likely enough to get you through it. It’s what worked for me and it looks like you’re already familiar with the search function…

For me, I adapted the attitude that it’s a 50 year old car and cutting corners is BIG gamble with safety and reliability. So I drill down and go in deep.
I’m with abowie1, do it right and do it once.
Good luck, Anthony

My attitude is that for anything that is a bother to get out/off and represents a fair bit of downtime I’d rather go through the whole thing and check it thoroughly, replacing anything worn beyond spec (obviously) but also anything that is subject to wear unless I know for a fact that it is new.

If you’ve got the IRS out and mostly dismantled, it really isn’t much more effort or cost to get stuff blasted and painted and replace seals and such. At least then when you put it back in you can say “Ok, just maintenance for the next 50 years.”

Here’s my moral tale: two weeks ago I had to remove the IRS to overhaul the brake callipers - one piston was sticking badly and no amount of easing it back and forth would free it enough to make the brakes balance. It’s a real pain to do - I calculate it was about 4 days’ work just to get the IRS off and back on again, and just 1 days’ work to overhaul the callipers (plus several more hours bleeding). But I’m very pleased to say that the brakes are now better than they’ve ever been at any time in my ownership.

I last did this job in 1992, exactly 25 years ago. I was a young man of 39 then, now I’m 64 and struggling a bit. I just hope I don’t have to do it again in another 25 years!

I would remove the IRS ass’y and do a complete overhaul, especially
replacing the diff seals with the modern variety. The old seals can get
fried and in so doing, allow not only lube loss but foul up the rear brakes.

If you have the IRS out and doing all this stuff, now is the time to decide
whether or not to change the diff ratio. Also might want to fit
“easy-bleed” brake extensions.

The rest is really just bushes and bearings, and I echo what everyone else
has said, do the thing completely and correctly.

Ah the joys of shipwright’s disease. As the cage is out it would be a shame not to do a complete resto on it. Powder coating, plating, new bearings bushes and seals, shims and spacers.

And while the cage is out, refresh the paint under there…

1 Like

And to get the IRS out, the exhaust system needs to be removed; good time to inspect it and replace if necessary. Once it’s removed, it’s easy to remove the exhaust manifolds to clean and paint or reporcelain. Oh, and then that gives good access to the front and rear engine mounts to inspect and renew as needed. Gosh, you’re now well on the way to dropping the engine for that needed overhaul. Best renew the wiring looms while the engine and gearbox are out. Might as well do a bare metal paint job while you’re at it.

Slick. He was a favorite of my dear departed… At one time, I even had a straggly rain coat like his!!! Best to await BART on a cold winter morning on the open plat form Not all that bad in the wind tunnels of SF’s down town financial sector…

But, then she got me a “doozy”. A real London Fog. I mnwever dared ask how much?

Carl,

Oh, I used Jphn’s method to measure one pint of oil. The Pyrex cup from the cupboard. The Pennzoil was so nice and clear, that I’ll just wash it well and put it back in the cupboard. Who is to know.

Way back when, pal Billy and I went camping. Alas no Crisco to fry the eggs!!! Oh, well, a dab of Texaco. Just fine. Even pan toasted a few slices of white bread. Oh, oh, n o butter , either???
Aw, just dip in the yolks.

As usual, washed the utensils in a cold stream. The sand made a fine scrub…

Carl

According to the paperwork with the car, the IRS was rebuilt 2 years before it was parked for 29 years. I replaced the suspension mounts and changed all the fluids when i got the car. The exhaust is in good shape, the diff doesn’t leak (much), and the bearings seam to be in good shape. I am hoping to get the car on the road since i only get to use it for two months a year. I will take a good look at everything I can, and see how far to go. If the IRS has to come out I will do it all.

Yep !

On a single case of beer?

I’m impressed.

Or did you chicken out and just rinse the inside of the diff?

Andrew - that is unknown :grinning:. I have a spread sheet documenting every single hour spent on this restoration, money spent and lots of other stuff, but not logged the beers consumed. Damn, that would have been a fun stat to know how many frothy beverages it takes to rebuild an IRS or renovate a heater box.

Don’t let your wife find that spreadsheet. :worried:

Time and money is one thing, but I’d be sure to hide the “other stuff” columns.

My late father-in-law used to rate the difficulty of various tasks on the number of beers required to complete: “That looks like a three beer job.”

“…documenting every single hour spent on this restoration, money
spent…”

That’s very dangerous because at some point you’ll start to realize that
maybe this isn’t/wasn’t the best investment, or others in the family will
realize and question that, and then there’s no good outcome.

Best to just keep the paperwork and not look too closely.

When I restored my E Type I saved all the receipts. A friend of mine said when the car was done, grab a bottle of Scotch and have a rite while burning the receipts without totaling the expense. Wife enjoyed immensely and she will never know!

Len Wheeler