Carpet and seat runners, 120 OTS

Dealing with seat runners. Can someone tell me if the seat runners are mounted directly to the plywood, or are they mounted onto the carpeting. The carpets are gone in my car, I really can’t tell.

My runners are a mess. I’m looking for alternatives to Moss’s $500.00 pair. I had a look at the repop runners in my MGA and they’ll work while robbing only 1/8" headroom - hence the need to know how the carpet works.

If I had druthers I’d bolt the seat down to the floor for the extra inch of headroom but the next owner might be 5’7" with short legs.

Mine were full of crud so I cleaned them, attached them to a working platform and worked them until they rolled smooth. As I recall some of the balls had moved out of their correct place, and I had to knock them back. The lifting eye is just a handle for sliding them.

I don’t know if this is true of the OTS, but with the FHC we came to the conclusion that there were 3/8" plywood blocks to raise the runners up above the carpet.

My seats move very nicely now.

Mine are bolted through the carpet, but this car has been got at so much, I’m not sure whether that’s something you can rely on. Someone with a more untouched car may be more help. Good luck.

According to the books I have, the runners sit on top of the carpet and the mounting set screws go through the carpet, wood floor, and thread into a single long piece of steel bar with two threaded holes in it. That is how I have done mine.
Chris

Yea, I’ve got the steel bars, Something I rarely see on cars on BAT.

it is not too difficult to dis assemble the runners, re-plate them and replace the ball bearings.
then they should work perfect again for not much money.

mine are running smoothly again after 50 years without use.

You haven’t seen mine. I’ve got on soaking now just to see if I can get rid of the ‘Found on the Titanic’ patina.