Clutch Slave Rebuild Opinions Sought - 66 4.2L FHC

Good morning forum. Looking for your thoughts on this clutch slave. Just removed yesterday - the car has been sitting for 25 yrs with all lines (clutch and brake) disconnected. Certainly plenty of rust and pitting in the cylinder. My thoughts are to send it to White Post for a re-sleve and then install a new piston. I just doused the ID with PB blaster and will use low-pressure to push out the old piston. What’s your thoughts on this plan?

Picture of ID:

Now my next question… 25 years ago the clutch and master were rebuilt (I think since they look in good shape externally). But as I said, line disconnected for 25 yrs… How can I determine if the ID bores are OK? Thanks in advance… Nick

Definitely send the slave to be re-sleeved along with the master. Do both at the same time.
The last photo is the brake booster. Are you tackling the brakes as well ? If so send both brake master and booster for a complete rebuild as well.
If its been 25 years I would consider rebuilding the calipers and replacing all brake and clutch hoses too.

Marco

Nick, I was recently in the same situation with the clutch slave. Mine was in bad shape inside and out. Taking price into consideration, I elected to buy a new Hye-dra-cyl stainless unit from Moss, rather than rebuild the old unit.

As for the the clutch and brake masters, and brake booster - there was no doubt mine needed rebuilding so I shipped them to White Post for sleeving and rebuilding. Not cheap, but worth it to me!

My old clutch slave:

New stainless clutch slave:

A recent, informative thread on clutch slaves, if you haven’t seen it yet:

I just did this job, using an NOS Lockheed cylinder. If I had to do it again, I’d have gone with the Hye-dra-Cyl unit.

1 Like

I would agree with @Michael_Frank. If you also decide to replace the lines, do not discard your old ones as you’ll need them for patterns. Save everything, clips and clamps, etc. holding the lines. Save especially the unions.

should there be a slave spring as shown on a 66?

A light external spring pulls the release bearing away from the clutch when not engaged. That prolongs the life of the bearing. The only downside is that the rod will need adjustment from time to time. I would use one, whether the parts book calls it out or not.

Tom,

If your ‘66 doesn’t have the external spring you may have what’s referred to as a “hydrostatic” clutch slave. I believe it was OEM for engine numbers 7E.4607 - 7E18355. They were known for causing premature wear of the throw out bearing and Jaguar swapped back to the “non-hydrostatic” version. So, as @Michael_Frank said above - it would be beneficial to have an external spring even if your car didn’t originally come with one. There’s more detailed discussion in the thread I linked above, and a lot more in the archives too.

Thanks all… yes, my slave does have the external spring (not shown in photo).

I also have all new brake and clutch lines and the calipers have been thru White Post.

It seems like the general consensus is to replace/rebuild the clutch master, brake master and booster.

Disassembly question:
Looking at the assembly drawings do I read this right:

1. Clutch Master looks straight forward - disconnect the peddle arm connection from the foot well side and remove from firewall.
  2. brake booster - remove 3 bolts from the foot well side and the unit can be removed.
  3. Brake master - not exactly clear on this one - Is there a connection in the foot well that needs to be undone first before removing from the firewall?

Thanks in advance.

The front of the booster is secured to the front frame rails with a bolt and bracket.

The master also needs to be disconnected from the brake peddle like the clutch.

Marco

1 Like

Thanks Marco - looks to be fairly straight forward…

This will be next on the list.

Nick

IIRC you can skip disconnecting the fork and rod from the peddle. They will stay connected and slip out of the boot as you pull the MC out. Reinstalling is just the reverse…

Thanks Marco - true for both the clutch and brake?

No, clutch fork must be disconnected from the pedal arm . I’m the owner of a 69 so a 66 maybe different also…

You’ll find that while it’s not hard to undo the mounting nuts for the servo, it’s a job and a half to work it out of the car. At the very least, you’ll have to remove the battery, tray, and aluminum belly pan. I found it much easier to remove the splash guard as well.

Thanks Michael, I guess I’m fortunate since none of those items are installed at the time. I just scoped the peddle arms and access looks fairly easy from the footwell, So I’ll plan on disconnecting both before removal just to make it a cleaner operation. Thanks