Converting to triple SU carbs

Do I see a contradiction here? :grinning:
Tom

2 Likes

The only problem with FI is that it needs a longish session on a RR to dial in all the settings . This is quite expensive and involves revving the engine with the car stationary . I was talking to an owner at a rally last year who went through this , and it resulted in his engine overheating and blowing the CHG - as we all know , the XK , like that other great British engine , the Merlin , doesn`t like being overheated .

1 Like

I have wondered if this would be a good, relatively easy EFI conversion for the ZS carsā€¦?

http://www.pattonmachine.com/TBI-Components.htm

David
68 E-type FHC

2 Likes

Hi Tom , yes you do. I am in a quandary as to which way to go! Just doing the research :+1:

Thanks for your informative reply.
Doing my best to make England proud- just need 2022 Spring to arrive with sunshine!:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

I donā€™t think youā€™ll regret it! See if you can find a decent used set instead of going with new. They show up somewhat regularly. As someone pointed out itā€™s possible to use a 3.8 set up, which has three individual intake manifolds, instead of the 4.2 which has a single manifold. However the Mk10 sedan also used triple SUā€™s and virtually NONE of those components can be used on an E type. Yet they are often described as being suitable for an E. So if youā€™re thinking of buying a 3.8 setup ( triple manifolds) run them by someone here to make sure they will fit an E. Feel free to direct message me if you want someone to review. The easiest and safest way is to find a decent 4.2 set. Be patient. You can also place a wanted ad here on Jag-lovers.
Also let people know where youā€™re located and you may get a volunteer or three to assist. Itā€™s really not that hard.

Hereā€™s a 4.2 set I sold a couple of years ago for $1600. [SOLD] Triple 4.2 E-type SU carb set and manifold

2 Likes

Philipā€¦here is a set on sale in the classified section on this forum a month or so backā€¦dont know if they are sold yet but they are in the UKā€¦Peter Crespin whose selling is well known on the forumā€¦as your in the UK its worth you also checking out the UK E type forum and posting in the wanted sectionā€¦Steve Wanted triple SU carbs and Manifold

1 Like

do they have fuel injection that looks like suā€™s?

Short answer yesā€¦google SU fuel injectionā€¦Steve

IIRC, although the ports and studs all line up between both heads ( 3.8, 4.2) there are water galleries that need blanking if using the 3.8 manifold on the 4.2 head. Just a vague recollection, others may be able to confirm or deny.

2 Likes

Yep, you are correct: if 3.8 manifolds are used, two coolant passages have to be plugged.

1 Like

This is a 3.8 set up on a 4.2 engine. Somehow I think the 3.8 looks better than the plain jane looking 4.2 manifold. It works just as good as the ugly 4.2 manifold below, yukā€¦

3 Likes

Iā€™m not sure if it will meet the bling criterion, but over here in NZ, a local modified his US spec S2 roadster to take 3 SUs by simply welding 3 flanges to accept the carbs whilst blanking off the 2 Stromberg holes. With aircleaner in place, it would take someone familiar with E Types to recognise the modification.

2 Likes

Hi Bob, thanks for your reply.
How did you replace the choke cable? Through the dash top?
Did you replace with a twin or single cable ?

Looking forward to hearing from you.
Cheers
Phil

Hi Phil
Based on a recommendation from the forum, I have continued to use the braided cable that came with the stromberg setup. Not ideal, but the length of cable that is unsupported by sheathing is so short that there is virtually no flex. I used one and tucked the other to the side. Having said that, one of my winter projects is to install a solid cable, and that is done by taking the dash top off, which is not a big deal. (Four nuts.) As mentioned, some on the forum suggested I leave the braided cable in place and I honestly donā€™t think it caused a problem. Donā€™t let that get in your way.

Also you might pm Peter Crispin on the forum. I get the impression he has a stockpile of parts and may have a decent set at a fair price.

2 Likes

I too converted to triple SUā€™s from my Strombergs and I ordered a new single strand Series I cable from SNG and it fit perfectly. You could use only one strand from the original choke cable but then you have the second cable to coil up and stow.

MY 2+2 had been converted by the PO. They left the second cable just kind of lying there. When it was fully extended I cut if off the core and sheath at the bulkhead and pushed the nub end back past the grommet.

1 Like

The S2 choke cable works just fine on the SUs. Mineā€™s on year 15 or so. The ā€œspareā€ (or second cable) is at the ready: coiled and zip tied to a frame rail. I havenā€™t seen it in years!

Enduro/ISDT motorcycle riders used to route spare cables for clutch, throttle, and brakes in place. If a failure occurred, it was much quicker to repair if the cable was there. Possibly saving the stage score. Belts and suspenders?

2 Likes

Yeah. And the smart ones even remembered to lube them and tape over the ends to avoid being stranded with a rusted spare for a busted originalā€¦

With two tire levers and plug spanner taped to the frame, Tommy bars welded on the end of each axle and spare plugs in your Barbour jacket you felt invincible - at least as far as the first deep ditchā€¦.

Yes, I have a set of triple SUs for sale in the UK. Someone coincidentally told me last Saturday I should have copyrighted the word Strangleberg. Except thatā€™s not how copyright works.

1 Like

Hi.

Sounds a bit Norwegian, how about Dr. Strangleberg? :smiley:

And even the original ā€Strƶmbergā€ which was a very common brand of electric components over here, sounds more like a Bond villain, you know Dr. Strƶmberg?

Not getting to Dr. Strangelove, just yet! Or are we?

Cheers!

1 Like