Cooling fan conversion V12

Good afternoon from Queensland.
I am in the process of an electric fan conversion for my series 2 V12.
I have purchased a twin fan unit from an AU falcon but no matter how much I shave off the shroud it will not fit.
Has anybody done this conversion and what type of fan did you use ?
Regards Marty

Just remove the shroud, Mary - it is not essential…

…or try other fans…:slight_smile:

Frank
xj6 85 Sov Europe (UK/NZ)

Thanks Frank.
I have removed the original metal fan shroud and was hoping to shave the falcon shroud enough to make it fit into the space in front of the engine but it is too thick. Snares on the pulleys.
I need to purchase , hopefully, a slimline twin fan system that will fit.
Hopefully someone has done this before. Remembering it is a V12.
Marty

Australian cars are almost unknown in the USA, but we have enough V12s in everything from standard Jags to street rods that a cottage industry has grown around them. Here is what Google turned up. I have not purchased from any of these other than being a long term occasional customer of JC Whitney.

http://www.v12performance.com/CatCooler.html

http://v12s.com/jaguar_cooling/jaguar_xj12

http://jaguar-parts.jagbits.com/electric-radiator-fan

http://www.jcna.com/library/tech/tech0008.html

http://www.jaycorptech.com/c-14-spal-12-volt-fans.aspx

http://www.jcwhitney.com/cooling-fans/jaguar-v12/c1647d1146j1s21.jcwx

Hi Marty,

You could also try the Davies Craig website - I’ve seen application specific listings for the Australian market there previously, and you’ll be able to check the dimensions of the recommended fan(s).

Simon
Kalgoorlie

Twin pusher fans at front of radiator? Worked well on my 6. Never tried it on a 12 though.

Couldn’t remember the name at the time I posted. Kenlowe was the brand. There is a neat option to fit the temperature probe into the thermostat tube using a silicone sleeve without any further modification. Give them the car model and they will specify the fans.

The temp probe is pretty common. Kenlowe are a good brand but if you’re not in the UK, you probably don’t know them or have access to their products. For US owners, I would spend the money and buy SPAL. There are plenty of cheaper alternatives on ebay, but that’s what I would use if it was my car.

That said in 99.99% of cases, a properly functioning clutched mechanical fan will move more air than any electric fan setup.

The main advantage of the electric fans is that they only work when required, Al - this reduces noise considerably, for more comfort…

At speed, the ram air exceeds the fan capacity, and the fans stays off - the ‘mechanical’ fans runs all the time even when not needed. Idling or moving slowly, even under load; the electric fans are more than adequate to meet the cooling requirement
Frank

Not trying to be pedantic, honest!!!
Because, for one thing, clutched mechanical fans do a great job and have been time tested in many critters.

But, they have a limit not mentioned here. At rest, with the engine at idle, fan speed is lowest!!! One could argue that more air is needed then from the fan as there is none from motion. OTH, less petrol is being burned, so less heat to dissipate.

Note. Many shops employ box fans to place in front of cars being worked on. Over heat prevention?

My lump has two “mystery brand” Efans controlled by the PCM. I’m very pleased.

OTH, my Jeep has a conventional clutched fan. It does the job just fine.

Carl

Agreed, at idle, when a fan is locked up, it will only spin at the speed of the engine which is probably 800rpm. The design of the blades on a mechanical fan even at this speed should allow it to move a lot of air as the resistance is overcome by the engine and not a little motor.

The aux fan should also help it along.

Not that I’m against electric fans, but if it was my first choice, I would replace the crappy little aux fan with something better and make sure the rest of the system is functioning properly before I throw the clutched fan out.

Noted:

But, if the “little motor” has enough torque to spin the blades at a decent RPM, would that not be just as good as the “big engine”
spinning the clutched fan.

I think both are equal to the task.

Biggest advantage is that efans draw energy only when needed.

And, in some app’s, one less belt.

Carl

No… at idle, maybe but when the big engine revs past idle, a clutched fan will move more air than any electric motor.

Agree, but that is when it is less needed, if moving in traffic!!

Carl

I have to disagree. In slow speed traffic a clutch fan will move more air
and is needed. At high speeds the force of air will push more air through
the radiator and both clutched fan and electric will disengage.

Personally, I would make it a point of installing a shroud, and it actually does aid cooling of coolant a great deal, however there is also argument that without will aid cooling the already hot V12 engine bay…and a V12 is one you don’t want to play with in that regard.

…and perhaps more importantly, also to guard cutting your hand off inadvertently while tinkering as the car is running…

…say what you will, but i haven’t one and it always freaks me out…and has caused bloody fingernails a couple times…These cars we are ALWAYS tinkering on in variety of ways and times…exhausted, hot, etc…whew, been there done that.
You don’t want to hate your car at the end of a day’s work!

I’ve been into Jaguars and had them since I was a kid. Take it from me…
Besides, it’s thorough and correct.

Otherwise, I cannot recommend one specifically…there are so many options out there. Measure twice and cut once next time… :wink:

I did it on both of my XJS cars too…never had a problem…

I will do it on all of them now, but there is the argument that electric fans do go out, then what?
Especially on a V12, you don’t want that…

Gives me some thought now on a V12 again.

One fellow who was on this forum who had an XJS from the 70s and has since sold his car…name Embden? Still has a site, was here on JLovers…

Anyway, he made interesting point of keeping it on his for that reason…although strangely removed the clutch from it.
He had his car since new…so, that is another bit to confuse you (us).

Twin fans,separate circuits and in front of radiator. Override in case of thermostat issues. Saves fingers, improves front of engine access and problems with locked up clutch or shedding blades, the latter perhaps more common with BMW’s? Well it’s only happened to me with a BMW.
And as Frank says, a deal less noisy.
As an aside, when I fitted mine, I mistakenly put them on back to front. They first came on when parked, as a pedestrian passed in front of the car. One massive blast of air directed at the poor guys legs and a wonderfully shocked face.

That is more a matter electric fan selection, Al…

With the right choice the electric fan(s0 will move adequate air, even for the V12 - providing the radiator is functioning as it should. However, the fan will only come on at its trigger temp - which is usually well above the ‘full open’ thermostat…

The mechanical fan will not disengage as airflow increases - the torquatrol is a slip clutch, reacting to resistance. Incidentally, my Mercedes had a thermostatically controlled mechanical, engine driven, fan - only came on when needed, which is something I would gladly have on my Jaguar…

Frank

Frank, of course, provided that you can fit one big enough and your alternator can keep up, an electric fan can keep up.

My mechanical fan experience comes mainly from the viscous clutch systems in Mercedes Benz which will disengage pretty quickly as you get moving. I’m surprised that there is no such option for a Jaguar.

Good morning people.
Thanks for your opinions.
I have decided to install twin electric fans. A 14" & a 12" behind the rad.
Behind the rad because there are 3 heat exchangers in front, oil cooler etc.
I have previously installed an adjustable temp controller which I will control the 14" fan. The 12" will come on when the aircon is engaged or the thermal switch instructs it too.
Speaking of the thermal switch, I find is has no earth connection to complete the circuit.
Summers can get quite hot in Queensland, hence the reason for some extra insurance.
As us Jag owners say … See yi on the side of the road sometime !

Regards Marty