Craig Restores a Series III - Part XII

Agree with installing the steering column first.

Your list does not have engine ancillaries listed - PS Pump, Alternator, Air pump (is yours going back on?), A/C Compressor, exhaust manifolds and downpipes. What were you thinking on those?

I would also think about installing the windscreen while engine is out because of the convenience of being able to stand in the engine bay. But that is only a thought, not the voice of experience.

Rod - those will be a mixed bag. Some will go on before installing the engine cuz it is easier, more accessable, etc. Others will wait until the engine is installed (carbs, linkage, etc) cuz in my mind these could get in the way of the chains lifting the block or could get damaged during the insertion procedure.

I hadn’t considered that aspect - interesting thought. I’ll hafta give that more consideration. I have been considering using SafeLite but can’t get a human on the line. They have the singularly most frustrating voice tree on earth.

Nope. My air pump was still in place but well and truly frozen. I am also removing (or not replacing) the air injectors piping, gulp valve, and the attendant plumbing.

Similarly, I am reducing the number of vacuum lines by having sourced an original style rail piece thereby eliminating up to 4 vacuum lines (AKA - sources of vacuum leaks).

1 Like

I too, could not bear the thought of chains scratching, chafing, damaging, etc. anything on the engine as it went back in. After a bit of analysis, I concluded that if the chains were vertical there wouldn’t be any interference. A couple pieces of 1 inch angle bars with notches on the ends gave me just what I needed for the installation. Just a suggestion.

Whenever that possibility existed on any given engine, I used the old pickup tailgate chain trick: bicycle tube inserted over the chains.

Never a scuff!

A plethora of ideas! Gotta love this forum! :ok_hand:

1 Like

OUT-F#&%ING-STANDING.

Thanks Steve - that’ll allow me to assemble sooo much more onto the block while everything is on the bench / table / cheery picker and easy to access. By any chance, do you remember / have in your notes the length of the two 1 inch angle bars (the aft angle bar looks a bit longer than the front)??

AND

Do you have a web site showing more details of your beautiful Series III rebuild / restoration???

Finally, you appear to have some shop towels (other??) protecting/wrapped around the wiring on the passenger forward corner and maybe the alternator . . . . and you have ~7° list to port of the engine?
Was ist los? Oder was gibt?

2 Likes

Not sure I would trust my windscreen to Safelite. The guy who comes will have never seen an E Type before.

In Colorado Springs, I have the option of using about half a dozen major chains and several small independents.

I wonder which of those outfits have the most experience replacing windshields on an XKE? No matter who I call, the experience base is gonna be the same - nil. I figured the major, national chain will be the most experienced overall. Or maybe the small independent will care more. Crap shoot.

I was searching my photo archives for something today, and stumbled on this photo. then I noticed its date:

It was snapped on 28MAR21 – the day my Jag was taken out of its decades-long storage and finally brought to its purpose built home.

:mantelpiece_clock:
:spiral_calendar: :hatching_chick:
:spiral_calendar: :swan:

It is now 30MAR23 - two years later. TWO YEARS!!!

I thought it would go quick
hourglass

– but there is still lots to be done

hourglass_flowing_sand

Couldn’t be this far along without the existence was this forum
and – more importantly – the active and ever-willing-to-share J-Lers community.

Thank You sounds so insufficient
But they are among the two most powerful words in the OED.
Thank You.

Used to be Kabul Craig
Now Confused in Colorado
Gonna be Cruisin’ in Colorado

Thank You All

3 Likes

I certainly would be careful selecting an installer. I would try to find someone who appreciates vintage cars and would be willing to take the care to work on such a car. If one can find an installer with E typed experience, great. But I would not be so concerned about the experience. These windshields are just a windshield. Many here on the forum have installed the windshield themselves, often with NO prior windshield experience at all, as have I. I would certainly think someone who installs several windshields per day on various cars would have as good a chance as someone who has never installed any windshield.
Tom

Good point about the experience level they would have, but relying on the suction cup machine would make me nervous. I have heard the aftermarket glass does not fit great, and would rather not have to find out.

Congratulations on all the progress, Craig. Do you have a target date for your road test? As much as I would like to set a target date in 2024, with working full-time I need to be realistic, so summer 2025 is my goal.

Craig a lot of work has been done by you to date and progress in 2 years is great …you’ve also written a very interesting description which will be very interesting for future v12 restorers …keep going mate…. Great job

1 Like

Thanks Danny

High praise coming from you

I believe I have located the glazier I am gonna use to install my windshield and the chrome - when the time comes.

He is an independent glass shop. It is him and two employees. His wife serves as receptionist and bookkeeper
He has 27 years experience working automotive glass and does nothing but automobile glass (no mirrors, dash cameras, no tinting. etc)
He is not mobile but asked to come to my shop to look at and evaluate my Jag and its condition. He has done Jag windshields but not an XKE, but is anxious to try a new challenge.

No exotics in his shop but two older cars:

He is installing all the glass in the 55 Chevy; windshield in, chrome almost done - rear window on the bench
/
/
He is done with the front of the Saab 99 - rear window ready for fitting. There can’t be many glaziers who can say they worked on a Saab 99.

/

The panes of glass on the walls are for fabricating windows that are no longer available. He cuts them to fit and sends them to Denver to be tempered

And even fewer who’ve done a 96… which that ol’ SAAB is!

:smirk:

I bet your glazier can do the Jag juuuuust fine.

Hey Craig they are not too difficult …your man sounds just right ….I fitted mine dry including the locking strip but not the rubber at the top where square section goes across just laid it on there checked fit all round ……when the professional put it in he used a automotive silicon ( non corrosive ) to fit top chrome to get it exactly correct ….have you fitted up the soft top frame ? I’d do that before fitting glass just in case!

No - not yet.

Why? I figure the windshield would serve as a locating point and should be installed first??

I agree you need to make sure your top frame mates with the windshield frame. When I restored my 150 we discovered the drivers side of the windshield frame was bent slightly and would have made installing the windshield impossible as well as not mating with the top frame.
A little tweaking of the windshield frame and everything fit nicely.

1 Like