D-type wheels on XK

I’m considering new wheels for the 140-E, and I’ve always loved the look of the “D-Type” wheels on D-types, and E-types but not seen them on a 120/140… Anyone have a picture handy?

Brandon “D” type or Light weight E type wheels require a lot of other parts as they are pin or peg drive. Look sort of like wheels are out there but expensive. They do look great either way.

The wheel image above from xks unlimited indicates its standard spline drive… or bolt on, but I’d stick with splines as I have now… just haven’t seen on an XK

I tried them on my 150 and they look great. Only Problem SWMBO said stay with the wirewheels!

Did you happen to snap a pic?

I will check

07714 759198

not my car but it might help

http://www.classicandsportscar.com/classifieds/classic-cars/jaguar/xk120/jaguar-xk-120-1953/6615151

Any idea the details behind that car Phil Dobson?

Looks like its highly modified to the point that the dashboard isnt even stock.

Thanks that’s perfect, with the back to back… think I’ll stick to wires.

My dash isn’t stock

No. I have no idea. I just “googled” xk120 alloy wheels.

Brandon, I think you must have hit “Reply” before your image finished uploading. You can edit your post ad redo the upload (if you wish).

Fixed, thanks for pointing it out

Check out XK 150 FHC 825011 on XK Data.

S[quote=“Brandon_Shriver, post:3, topic:350891”]
The wheel image above from xks unlimited indicates its standard spline drive… or bolt on,
[/quote]

You can get 15" cast wheels quite cheaply from Realm Engineering and they come in bolt-on or splined version. The problem with standard spline fitment is the spinner sits quite far outboard and this makes the spinners look large and prominent.

The most realistic is the cheaper bolt-on version with 42 dummy correct-size spinners.

The cheapest is the 15" cast one-piece bolt-on version with no spinners. You need bolt-on hubs of course.

The same wheel with stock 52 mm splined center is dearer but the spinners are prominent, as mentioned.

Realm’s 16" version is a lot dearer due to small volumes and is still a cast center.

The totally correct 16" pressed peg-drive wheel and 42 mm spline hardware is about $1,800 per wheel, not including peg-drive hubs.

A subject dear to my heart only can think of 2 cars that had genuine D type wheels in period there will be others
the most famous is of course [1ALL] an XK120 DHC which if I recall survives in Andorra
This car was very active in the late 1950’s early 1960’s by then owner Eric Brown chairman JDC.
These were full peg drive
The second car was a 3.8 litre XK150 S that was here in Australia owned by one of the Leech brothers they each had an XK140FHC a pair of early XK150 FHC’s a pair of 3.8 S 150 Coupes and a pair of early E type coupes!
The wheels were fitted c1960 but have standard Jaguar splines and spinners.
These were removed in the mid 1990’s and 15 inch wire wheels fitted due to difficulty in obtaining tires and in 2004 when the car changed hands the new owners had to purchase the wheels in addition to the car and when they sold the car they kept the wheels. I purchased the set of 5 wheels of them and will fit to something one day.

OK- she can drive. But can she use a tire gauge?

What about some Borranis XK 120 Wheels or XK140 & XK150 wheels

Interestingly this is a 600-16 Stella Bianchi tyre on a Borranni wheel, just like Biondetti ran in the MM

While I’d love a set of Borranis ~$8,000 is a bit steep.

Notice the two shots at Brands Hatch (or above & below the BH heading) have different D-Type wheels. The top car had the 1954 12-hole Dunlops, whereas the car below (and every other picture?) uses the 15 hole wheels used for all but the very first D-Types.

Hi Peter:

Very observant of you! Note that the black and white photo of the top car (with the early 12 hole D-type wheels) shows it had original rear bumpers whereas the car below and in the racing shot has wrap around bumpers front and rear. However, what is the purpose of the filler cap on the RF wing (visible in the second b/w photo and in the colour shot of the car beside Monty Mostyn’s D-type? If the car was full D-type spec is it possible it was the filler for the oil reservoir?

Regards,

Chris.