Does anyone know how to fix or know a source for 16cu?

[quote=“Bagpype, post:4, topic:411950”]

A very generous forum member sent me a 16cu and it didn’t work.
Adam,
Sorry my ECU was no good. I didn’t know, the car was dead.

I just got back an ECU from AJ6. It took several months, but mine arrived after he’d had a heart attack, so I can’t complain. I’m just glad the good fellow is alright. He’s better and working again, but at a slower pace, and no more Plus-Torque intakes.

If anyone’s thinking about using BBA Reman for such repairs, beware it looks like they are going out of business. PM for my rant if you like.

Fellows on the XK8 forums have had good luck with other American repair businesses.

Kirby says replace all capacitors. They leak corrosive stuff that wrecks the boards.

Good luck,

Rob

I had Roger do one maybe 18 months ago, I want to say it was 4 months and $600. I had him repair it and do the “super enhanced.” My best advice is to email him and see what he says. But you gotta be zen with the turnaround time, it takes what it takes. Maybe there is other stuff you can do to the car while you wait. And I guess the sooner you send it the sooner you get it back. One other option is watch Craiglist for a car that is being parted out. Might get lucky. But again, might get another dead ECU.
Sorry you’re going thru this, it’s frustrating for sure.
Bob

1 Like

My suggestion would be to see if there is a “pick & pull yard” near you and pull one from that car. They should only run $25-$50 so that you wouldn’t loose much money.

The Jaguar V12 is unique and a good runner is superb. First car that I have ever driven that feels better the faster you go. No fussiness at 90 and wants to go 130. Anyone can have a SBC…a V12 XJ-S is different and refined.
Last thing I would change would be the V12, I would spend my money on 3.54 gears and a 4L60. Or a 5 speed…
A V12 is a lot like a Norton Commando motorcycle, smooth, lots of torque right off idle and enough power- plus you don’t see one everyday.
But then I put a Rover 3.9L with EFI in my MGB because Ford and Chevy V8s do nothing for me.
You might contact John’s Cars in Dallas, he does the lump parts. Maybe he could point you to a known good ECM… I also think you could do a Megasquirt 2 for less than a grand.
Someone in the Atlanta area has to have a sorted XJ-S you could drive to see what I mean.

2 Likes

I’ve exhausted all of the yards. I use a site called car-part.com that searches all the salvage yards. No dice. I don’t give up easy, I am just very frustrated with this ecu problem and I’m really scared of having to deal with this exact issue in the future. 4 months for a repair is an absolute no go unfortunately. This Jaguar is blocking my small shop’s entrance and another car that needs to get out for paint. I don’t want to junk the Jaguar and am constantly trying to find an ecu but god damn is it exhausting. Hell my old Austin Healey was easier to find parts for!

Isn’t that a Buick engine?

Yes the Brits made it work :grinning:

Yes, but the Brits managed to put there mark on it. I’m not saying I am against American iron, just that every hobby car around here is a Camaro or a Chevelle. I built a Pontiac GTO back in the day, before there were aftermarket goodies, that would run with any Chevy. Even back then you could buy Chevy performance parts at the local dime store.

A couple other possibilities:

I’ve been running these old Jags for over 20 years, usually as daily drivers, such as my present V12 sedan. As time goes by parts issues…availability and quality…have been making it a bit challenging.

Add to that the problem of 30-35-40 year old electronics (ECUs, ABS modules, etc) reaching the end of their lives.

Good luck on your search.

Cheers
DD

I have one sitting in the loft, but I am in the UK.

Are you sure you don’t have some other problem like an intermittent earthing fault in your loom? It is odd that you have tried four ECUs but never had one that works.

kind regards
Marek

Hi Merek,
I have checked for ground faults and continuity from the loom all the way back to the ecu. All of the ecus had different issues that were constant and unique to all of them.

I don’t see why you can’t move the car and store it a few months, and send a 16CU to AJ6 for repair. If I remember, it was only a few $100 for a repair. An ECU coming back from him should be good for a long while.

At that point, you KNOW you have a good ECU, and can move on if the engine still acts up.

Easier said than done. The car is currently in the only storage I have and the driveway is gravel. These v12 beauties aren’t exactly light weight! I keep scouring the web looking for an ecu while I research a lump. Or even someone in the US that can repair one.

From the UK:

New, but Non Cat:

Remanufactured from Australia:

Well, good luck, i hope you can get the ecu. Part of the charm of driving these cars is the unique character of the Jaguar V12. Its smooth power, it’s long torque curve, and just showing off that you have a V12.

Example, the power starts kicking in strong at about 2000RPM. Can’t remember what peak torque is (3000rpm?), but the power keeps coming all the way up to 5000RPM! And it’s smooooth. Almost feels electric. And the redline is 6500RPM! Most V8’s aren’t like this.

I admit, it is a long journey getting it running right, but in the end its worth it.

… and here I am, about to send to the crusher 3 perfectly good 3.5 Rover engines.

Once the heart and soul is ripped out of a Jag it ceases to a Jaguar. A Chevy engine transplant will effectively personify that of the walking dead. At a glance only the others will be fooled.

1 Like

Eh, I just need the car to run and move. While I respect the v12 and am going to give it one more shot to get it running, I have no problem putting an ls3 in it.

2 Likes

Compared to the job of sourcing a working ECU, the job of putting a lump in it is kind of a massive job…

1 Like

Agreed. Again, I’d love to fix this v12. I’m not saying otherwise. I am just preparing myself for a lump situation in the event my luck continues down the same path with finding an ecu.