E Type Bumpers S1

(Include at least one picture)

Description:

Asking price (if selling):

Contact information: E mail or message me. Lacrawfish@yahoo.com

Cost of shipping (if selling):

Willing to ship worldwide?

I am in need of a complete set of front and rear bumpers for a 1967 S1. Looking for stock but if modified for an amco bar that is OK.

Prefer original parts. Let me know what you have a s we can go from there.

Thanks

Please always be careful before sending money or valuables to someone you don’t know. Use an escrow service if you’re not 100% certain of the identity and integrity of the person you’re dealing with.

By using this service you agree to resolve any and all disputes with the other party directly, and to indemnify and hold Jag-lovers harmless from any claims, losses, liability, or expenses (including attorneys’ fees) that arise from your use of Jag-lovers and this service.

Hi Dan, are you seeking bumpers for a roadster or coupe?

I am in need of a roadster.

Roadster and Coupe bumpers are identical year for year…
But bumpers for a 3.8 Series 1 are different for a 4.2 Series 1 - they look the same on the outside, but their method of attachment means the underside brackets are totally different.

For a 1967 Series 1 4.2 you want the bumpers that the brackets on the underside have a slot in them, and not a thread. The 4.2 Bumpers are attached by passing a bolt through the slotted bracket into the thread insert in the bonnet sheet metal, and to allow a spanner to tighten the bolt, there is a cut-out on the lower edge of the bumpers adjacent to where the slot is in the bracket.

For a 3.8 Bumper, no cut-outs on the lower edge of the bumpers, as the bolts enter the bonnet/boot sheet metal from the inside through a plain hole in the sheet metal, then into the threaded insert on the bumper bracket, so the spanner tightens it all up from inside the bonnet nose and inside the spare-wheel compartment. Sad this, as you need to remove the fuel tank to get the left-rear bumper off and on :slight_smile:

I do have some bumpers but not sure if they are roadsters, coupe or year, I’ll set you know tomorrow.
Garth…

Thank you. I look forward to seeing these.

I am confused on bumpers.

I have a S1 4.2. A 1967 that I believe was made in late 66.

The bonnet is believed to be original to the car since it had the same colors of paint on it when being stripped.

I believe I have the mounting on the front valance for the bumpers with the captive nut on the bumper.

The bumpers with the slotted bracket on the chrome bumper itself will not fit. The hole next to the tire aligns but the hole next to the mouth does not align by almost 2 inches. This is all based off the marker light being the reference point for alignment.

It is my understanding that the captive nut bumpers have the hole next to the mouth in a different location that may fit.

My bonnet mounting has basically two rectangular cut outs with no sign of a nut ever being welded or attached to the front valance.

Were there two or three different types of front bumpers for a S1? In review of pictures which may or may not be correctly labeled I have seen one type with two slotted holes, one type with two captive nuts, and one with a nut and a rectangular hole.

Lastly my rear bumper mounting on the car has two bolts sticking out of the car and one hole next to the tire for a through bolt.

In your experience is this correct for my year?

I was being simplistic saying the change was exactly with 3.8 versus 4.2 Series 1 E-types.
Actually the REAR BUMPERS change happened in September 1965 at Car Nos 1E1413 (RHD OTS), 1E11741 (LHD OTS), 1E21000 (RHD FHC) and 1E32010 (LHD FHC)
The FRONT BUMPERS change happened a little later in February 1966 at Car Nos. 1E1479, 1E12580, 1E21228 and 1E32632.

This information is included within numerous factory publication including both the Spare Parts Bulletins and the Service Bulletins, and indeed this difference is something I have regularly checked over many years when judging E-type originality in Concourse events, as it is very easy to check front and rear bumpers having the cut-out or not along the lower edge of the bumpers blade - two cut-outs per bumper for a 1966/1967 E-type, and no cutouts for a 1961 to 1965 (date-of-manufacture) E-type (and check Car No for late 1965/early1966 cars). There are only the two different Part Numbers for early and later bumpers (four sets of course for front/rear and left/right), so no interim variations…

Dan, check your Car No against those quoted above, but if your E-type is later than these Car Nos then it sounds to me like your car has at some time in the past 55 yeras has received a 3.8 or early 4.2 bonnet to replace its original, or maybe just some modifications to suit mon-original replacement bumpers… but up to you, whether you want to restore bumpers and bonnet/boot sheet metal back to original, or indeed make your own modifications as an expedient…

You Sir are a wealth of knowledge. Thanks.

My number is 1E14611. I have a LHD OTS.

Are there any differences in the bonnet besides the bumper cut outs that I could look for to identify it as a 3.8 or 4.2?

Were the bumpers on the side latch cars any different?

Apart from the Bumper mounting issue, there are no other significant differences in the 1962 to 1967 bonnet sheetmetal, although there is clear evidence of a subtle difference in the rolled-edge shape of the radiator intake, or mouth of the bonnet. But clearly avoid 1961 bonnets as there are significant differences to bonnet-lock apertures and louvres arrangement, and similarly note that bonnets with the so called ‘open headlamps’ were introduced in January 1967 for USA/Canada market LHD cars, but not until June 1967 for RHD cars. This in fact may well be the key to understanding what you have.
Factory records say for LHD OTS supplied to the USA market, that the ‘open-headlamp’ bonnet was introduced from 1E14532 onwards, thus your 1E14611 was clearly originally supplied with an ‘open headlamp’ bonnet, and not the earlier closed-headlamp bonnet with clear shaped toughened safety-glass covered headlamps. AS above, this does not affect the bumper bar mounting, but if your E-type has ‘closed cover’ headlamps then it is not your original or it has been modified - both situations have been often done. The introduction of these open-headlamp bonnets is referred to generally around the world as being the introduction of the un-official term of Series 1-1/2 E-types, however I am aware that in certain circles in USA only the unofficial term Series 1-1/2 now refers to the later introduction of 1968 Model Year emissions controlled engines (twin Stromberg Carburetters etc), with just the earlier ‘open-headlamp’ cars still without emission controlled engines (triple SU carburetters) as an interesting (quaint?) term of Series 1-1/4. Regardless, does your car currently have a closed-covered headlamp bonnet or an ‘open-headlamps’ bonnet…

I currently have the closed headlight version.

Do yo know what engine number Stromburgs were introduced?

I am thinking I may have a 1.25.

Your chassis number is definitely a true series 1

Maybe I need to start an identity my car thread. I was confused on bumpers now I am confused on what I have.

If pictures in XKE data are true there were a lot of headlamp modifications or bonnet swaps after the listed numbers.

For those of you into the numbers…are the published numbers of changes a hard stop or more of a suggestion?

it’s my understanding that ALL cars prior to the official introduction of the SII cars, were known by Jaguar themselves as SI cars. However, it’s useful to know about these parts changes, and when they occurred, to make the obtaining of replacements “easier”.

When the E-type was introduced in March 1961 it was referred to/badged as simply the E-TYPE, nothing more…
When the 4.2 E-type was introduced in August 1964 it was now referred to/badged as the 4.2 E-TYPE to differentiate it from the 1961-4 E-type that only now became retrospectively referred to as the 3.8 E-TYPE, albeit this was never an official factory model identifier.
When the Series 2 E-type was introduced in August 1968 it was officially referred to by the factory as the SERIES 2 E-TYPE (but was still simply badged as a 4.2 E-TYPE) to differentiate it from the earlier 1961-Sep1968 E-types that only then became retrospectively referred to as SERIES 1 E-TYPE, albeit this was never an official factory model identifier. And thus you also now had reference to 3.8 SERIES 1 E-TYPES and 4.2 SERIES 1 E-TYPES

Then soon after coining the unofficial reference to a Series 1 E-type mostly based on the cleaner looking covered headlamps, slimmer bumpers and smaller above the bumpers side-lamps, you started to get the later 4.2 Series 1 E-types where they were modified to have open-headlamps being referred to retrospectively as Series 1-1/2 E-types being visually seen as an interim change to the Series 1 before the introduction of the Series 2. The term Series 1-1/2 is not, and never has had any factory official recognition, bearing in mind that the open headlamps was a minor modification introduced to satisfy 1967MY USA Safety Regulations, but was standardised across all E-types for all markets for economic/standardization reasons only as there was no legal need outside USA. Open HEadlamps were introduced from January 1967 for E-types sold into the USA market only, legally satisfying 1967 MY safety regulations, but all RHD E-types as well as LHD E-types for European markets (and other non-USA LHD markets) did not receive open headlamps until June/July 1967 - as there was no legal need. So this is why you now get some confusion over LHD E-type bonnets for cars with LHD chassis/car numbers 1E14532 to 1E15889 (LHD OTS) and 1E34113 to 1E34550 (LHD FHC) and 1E77010 to 1E77645 (LHD 2+2) made between January to June/July 1967, as if a particular car was built/sold into the USA market it had an open-headlamp bonnet, but if built/sold into the European market it still had closed headlamps with a glass cover. So anyone with a LHD E-type built between January to July 1967 needs to know where there car was sold new, to establish whether it should have a closed headlamp bonnet, or an open headlamp bonnet now referred to unofficially as a Series 1-1/2.

Things then get more complicated for USA 1968 Model Year Emissions Regulations - so a separate legal framework than the Safety Regulations that introduced ‘open-headlamp’ bonnets (and other safety matters), and again the USA 1968MY Emissions Regulations only applied to E-types built/sold and Certified into the USA market as 1968MY cars - these cars had many engine modifications, of which the fitment of the Twin Stromberg Carburetters was the most visually obvious, but also all certified 1968MY compliant cars have a plaque attached to the car. All RHD E-types and all LHD E-types built/sold into non USA market did not receive any engine modifications, retaining their Triple SU carburetter engines, as they did not need to comply with USA only emissions regulations.

These 1968MY USA market cars were introduced from August/October 1967 from 1E15980 (OTS), 1E34583 (FHC) and 1E77709 (2+2) onwards, but again please note, only for USA market cars, as LHD cars from these Chassis/Car Numbers on built/sold into Europe and other LHD markets other than USA (Including Canada) still had triple-SU non-emissions compliant engines…

Now for reasons that the logic totally escapes me, in certain circles within USA only, someone decided to start ‘unofficially’ referring to these USA market only 1968MY Emissions Compliant E-types as being Series 1-1/2, thus contradicting the unofficial reference to ‘open-headlamp’ cars as being the original use of the term Series 1-1/2 (which of course is still the term used in all other countries). So now these USA market only cars with just open-headlamps as introduced from January 1967 up to the 1968MY emissions compliant cars introduced from August/October 1967 are now unofficially referred to as Series 1-1/4.

So in an international forum such as this JagLovers forum you have total confusion as to what is exactly an ‘unofficial’ Series 1-1/2 E-type. So best to go by the exact Chassis/Car Number, and know whether your car was built/sold new into the USA market, or whether an E-type built/sold into UK or the rest-of-the-world.

But Dan, your 1E14611 is a LHD 4.2 E-type OTS, and if you must a 4.2 Series 1 E-type, but according to its Car No it would have originally had an open-headlamp bonnet, but would still have a triple-SU carburetter (non emissions controlled) engine, so I would unofficially refer to it as a Series 1-1/2 E-type, however am aware that in certain circles within USA some people may refer to it as a Series 1-1/4 E-type :sob: But totally up to you whether you want to restore it back to factory original condition (only matters to you and if you want to enter a Concours), or whether you want to modify its headlamp arrangement and its bumpers arrangement - both modifications are regularly done…

3 Likes

After your initial comments yesterday I did some reading today. I stumbled across an older publication of a JCNA guidelines for concourse (I believe).

I found the blurb on open and covered headlamps.

What I did notice is there are specific numbers listed after the published stop numbers that are called out to be covered headlamps.

Do you know how these specific car numbers came to be exceptions? Were they well documented concourse appeals?

Is there a guide on how to tell a non US market car from a US market car other than the heritage certificate?

Is it known if non US cars were made on the same assembly line and were they intermixed or was Monday US. Tuesday Europe… etc…

Dan, Its not my place to comment on JCNA Concours Rules - they apply of course to only JCNA sanctioned Concours events in USA/Canada and indeed I understand are written specifically for USA market new LHD E-types, so they don’t specifically cover RHD cars or indeed specifically LHD cars not sold new to USA.

Maybe that’s why they note there may be certain cars after the published USA Chassis Number points, that have closed headlamps - as before, no surprises there as I have already detailed, but LHD cars not sold to USA retained their covered headlamps up to August/October 1967, so probably examples of cars imported second hand to USA ex Europe or indeed maybe ex Canada - I don’t know if JCNA differentiates new USA cars from new Canadian cars - I suggest you ask JCNA for clarification, and also how they would handle RHD cars on non-USA new LHD cars where there are certain specifications quite different…

But given everything is modifiable, and indeed 55 years later many E-types have been modified or not faithfully restored, the only definite way you can determine if your car was sold new to USA or not is to seek a JD Heritage Certificate; always good to have regardless…

Yes, thank you Roger for your detailed writings and sharing your knowledge here. This surely deserves being published in a more prominent place than here in the classifieds section.

1 Like

Thank you for your time to answer these questions.

I plan on procuring a JD heritage cert.

I am now very curious about a bonnet replacement. I find it odd (but not out of the question) this happened. Everything had the same color paint in the same order so the donor car would have been the same color and early on in life. I say this because the last respray was in the early 80’s which I assume is long before covered headlamps were a “big deal” thus somewhat ruling out a bonnet that was modified to closed headlamp.

Body sheet metal is also too good to support a major collision.

I believe I have the original owners name and would like to see if I can track down and perhaps a picture or two or a story may become available.

Just to add to the string of conversion, I found these in the garage which
should be whats needed for the 67series
Richard