car Pekka shows. In 1973 I installed a set of Michelin XAS
tires because Car And Driver ranked them the best. They lasted
years - thought they would never wear out. Never felt they did
much out of the ordinary, and they were actually unusually
small tires for the size. When they did wear out I put a set of
XWX on the car (205 /70 -15) They were a revelation - for
10,000 miles. Next up was a set of SP41ā€™s. Again very
impressive - I thought much better than the XAS tires but they
were toast at 10,000 miles. Yes softer tires do handle better.
Then a set of Avon 185 -15ā€™s - hard rubber hard handling. I did
have a set of Pirelli Cinturatos on a Rover. They rotted out
internally in a year. Never bought Pirelliā€™s of any kind since.

Thatā€™s my early tire story - anybody still awake out there?

Terry Sturgeonā€“
68 E Type OTS, 67 E Type coupe, 07 XKR
Victoria, Canada
ā€“Posted using Jag-lovers JagFORUM [forums.jag-lovers.org]ā€“

Search the archives & forums - http://search.jag-lovers.org/
Subscription changes - http://www.jag-lovers.com/cgi-bin/majordomo
Support Jag-lovers - Donate at http://www.jag-lovers.org/donate04.php

In reply to a message from inlinesix sent Sat 16 Apr 2016:

I donā€™t think these earlier experiences with different makes
and models of tires means much at all these days, what with
many of the major tire tire companies continually changing
ownership. Thereā€™s certainly no reason for brand loyalty for
many of them. I know that Iā€™ve had both good and bad
experience with several major brands in the past but any
information now needs to be fairly current.

Pirelli Tires has just been sold to a Chinese Chemical
company, Avon was sold to Cooper Tires years ago, Dunlop
could be made by any one of several different companies. Who
knows who actually makes Vredestein.

And they could also be made anywhere. Cooper(Avon)is a US
company but an Avon I just bought for a motorcycle was made
in England. And a Pirelli high performance tire I bought for
another motorcycle was marked ā€˜ā€˜Made in Chinaā€™ā€™ in tiny print.

Hereā€™s a list of tire companies although itā€™s not quite up
to date. Thereā€™s only one British company listed, who I
never even heard of.

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tire_companies]ā€“
Clive, '62 Coupe 860320
Ontario, Canada

In reply to a message from Clive Wilkinson sent Sat 16 Apr 2016:

Interesting list, thanks. So the Dunlops Iā€™m buying
tomorrow are made by Goodyear.ā€“
The original message included these comments:

Hereā€™s a list of tire companies although itā€™s not quite up
to date. Thereā€™s only one British company listed, who I
never even heard of.
[List of tire companies - Wikipedia]

ā€“
John Walker, 1969 E-Type Coupe

There are only a few proper period tyres in the 185VR15 size

The Dunlop is a genuine period tread pattern that i believe came out in 1968 and were fitted to the series 2 e-type. However they are not currently made b y Dunlop. Sadly Dunlop are not making any historic road tyres.

The Avon, are made by Avon. I donā€™t know when that tyre came out. I think it might have been '70s, but i donā€™t really know. Iā€™m just specualting, on the basis that Aston Martin fitted Avon tyres, but some of the cars that i know of that left the factory on radial were on Pirelli up untill the DBS. But to be frank iā€™m speculating.

the Cinturato is a genuine period tyre that Jaguar offered as an option in period. and today, probably along with the Michelin it is one of the best tyres for an e type.

Michelin XVS Is a 1976 development of the first asymmetric tyre the XAS which came out in 1965. It benefits from all the things that made the XAS make cars like the Citroen DS more suited to motorways.

I think the Vredestein is a completely new tyre, but you shouldnā€™t really fit on an E-type. Yep the Vredestein is cheaper than a Michelin or Pirelli. and a MGB is caper than an e type.

Dougal,

Just to carry a point down-thread, my experience is that the 185HR15 Vredesteins work better than the Michelin XVS, which also work darn well ā€“ my E-Type experience with Vredesteins spans a decade, using them on long tours, track days, fast mountain driving. I used only Michelin XAS/XVS from about 1974 and loved them. On my last XVS set, new ones were not available at that time so I got Vredesteins. My experience was that they performed better.

Vredesteins are not available in VR or higher rating in this size, and this may be an issue for the British MOT checks, but here in the US steady speeds over 130 MPH are seldom if ever available, seldom if ever run. If HR speed rating is sufficient for a US owner, Vredesteins are the ones to get.

Higher price is never a justification to buy something unless you canā€™t be sure of what you are getting (even thenā€¦).

Jerry

[quote=ā€œLongstone, post:24, topic:122227ā€]
ā€¦Cinturato is a genuine period tyre that Jaguar offered as an option in period. and today, probably along with the Michelin it is one of the best tyres for an e typeā€¦

I think the Vredestein is a completely new tyre, but you shouldnā€™t really fit on an E-typeā€¦[/quote]

Youā€™re in the tire business so that should give your opinion some weightā€¦

http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/index

ā€¦but you do not say why they shouldnā€™t be fitted to an E-Type other than they arenā€™t expensive enough.

1 Like

In the business of selling tyresā€¦ so, buyer beware! But I definitely respect Dougalā€™s opinions in general. The Longstone videos on tyres for E-Types are very useful (except for anti-Vredestein part).

Dougal, do you want to accept Geoā€™s challenge and say why the Vredesteins are inferior?

Jerry

speed ratings have changed. i think H is the new V rating. someone plz confirm.
ed

From TireRack.com:

The most common tire speed rating symbols, maximum speeds and typical applications are shown below:
L
75 mph
120 km/h
Off-Road & Light Truck Tires
M
81 mph
130 km/h
Temporary Spare Tires
N
87 mph
140km/h

P
93 mph
150 km/h

Q
99 mph
160 km/h
Studless & Studdable Winter Tires
R
106 mph
170 km/h
H.D. Light Truck Tires
S
112 mph
180 km/h
Family Sedans & Vans
T
118 mph
190 km/h
Family Sedans & Vans
U
124 mph
200 km/h

H
130 mph
210 km/h
Sport Sedans & Coupes
V
149 mph
240 km/h
Sport Sedans, Coupes & Sports Cars

Jerry

Your opinion on tires (or Tyres) is yours so be it. What I would like to see is the documentation that the Cinturato was offered as an option. I have asked for that before but have yet to see that. As for Dunlops I guess the tire (or tyre) fairy found the 3 new sets I have seen in the last 6 months!

When my cars original Dunlop tires wore out I replaced them with Michelin XAS.
Have always had Michelin tires of some sort on the E until a couple of years ago.
It is hard for me to say if the current tire I have is the best or not because of the changes made to the car over the past year and a half. Can say this is the cheapest tire ever on the car and car handles and stops better than when new. Changes have included adjustable Gaz shocks all around w/adjustable perches at rear. Poly Bush all around , up-rated anti-sway bar and EBC Red-Stuff pads. Oh tire is Kumho from TireRack @ $70. ea. May buy another set to keep on the shelf because this is a discontinued tire and donā€™t know when inventory will run out.

Glenn

Just be aware that tires age-out (6 to 10 years depending on whom you ask) whether they are on the road or on the shelf.

I put Kumho on my '73 2+2 and agree with Glenn that they are a good tire, I had Pirelli P4000ā€™s on the car after I first bought it and while they were as good as the Kumhoā€™s dry they were much worse than the Kumhoā€™s in the wet. Iā€™m not sure about saving a set though Glenn, unless you drive a lot more than I do Iā€™d be concerned about them ā€˜aging outā€™ on me. My tires are seldom worn out before the 8 years that I will use them.
I also second the favorable comments about the Vredā€™s, thatā€™s what I have on my '68 and I really like them, they are far superior to the P 4000ā€™s that I had on it, wet, dry, you name it. JM2CW as usual.
Cheers,
Lynn

I made the mistake of keeping my Michelin X Redlines way too long. I know they were the wrong tire, but they looked good with the regency red, the problem was I kept them way too long, partly because they were michelins and only had about 3500 miles, and second because they are out of production.

I looked at new michelins, but they are expensive for a driver car and one that will see time kill the tires before mileage. So I went with the Vredā€™s. the ride is so much better. I realize I had old tires, but the michelins felt like solid rubber compared to these. plus the michelins were noisy and had crappy grip.

my point is, I would rather buy better value tires and replace them every five years than be lured into thinking my old tires that look new are safe and worth keeping.

I am not saying there isnt a time and place for as original tire as you can find, but I am not a concours guy, so for me the value is in the expendable price of the tire. Any brand new tire beats the most expensive old one.

My last set of Michelins were on there for 13 years , way too long. These tires will never wear out with the miles I put on. My idea is to change tires every 5 years at this price.

My crazy idea is to get a spare set put them in those ā€œSpaceBagsā€ vacuum out the air and store in a cool dark place . If my Michelins lasted 13 years exposed to the elements

the Kumhos should be OK for 2 or 3 years wrapped up?

Glenn

Glen,

ā€œLastedā€ is a questionable position. Tires can be run after decades and be OK for a while. The point is that after about 6 years the risks of using them goes up, it is believed. 6 years or 10 years is not a drop dead date, itā€™s a date of ā€œtoo great a riskā€.

You canā€™t tell the condition of tires by looking ā€“ even if there are no visible cracks. One of our listers took an old set of Michelins to a Michelin guy who checked them over inside and out and declared them OK. When they set off before too many highway miles the tires blew up!

We have had testimony here from a tire engineer (he said) that the tread rubber contains softening elements that are released when the tire is used, so that if a tire sits unused it can still go hard. I sure would not be storing tires for later like that, and I would not mount any tires over 6 years past manufacturing date.

YMMV.

Jerry

PS ā€œKumhoā€ or any brand is not enough information to guarantee quality. Kumho for example makes some stellar tires, but also makes some real losers. You need to look at the specific tire, say TireRack feedback, to know whether itā€™s a good one.

Yes, tires gas-out throughout their life - and wrapping them in plastic does not stop this.

I once set a stack of new tires (and lots of new & clean parts) on a tarp on the floor of our guest room. The 6-week restoration went on to become a 16 month restoration and when I finally cleared the room and pulled up the tarp there was a nice dark ring in the carpet where the bottom tire had gassed through a couple of layers of tarp.

BTW - no amount of cleaning would remove itā€¦ but I do have a very understanding wife.

Good point Jerry, Solus was the version.[quote=ā€œAhwahnee, post:37, topic:122227ā€]
but I do have a very understanding wife.
[/quote]

Yes you do, and very nice :slight_smile:
Cheers,
Lynn

I have taken 2 cars off Vredestein and fitted XAS and they were miles better. one was an Alfa Spider and one was a Daimler V8. And i mean much nicer. Oh yes i have XVS on my Shadow 1 too https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKRf4Mp980Q But my Lotus Elite has Cinturato with Borrani wheels https://www.borrani.com/jaguar-wheels/e-type.html

I am amazed to hear some one say they took Michelin off and preferred Vredestein. That is completely contradictory to the general response. I can only assume that is down to the fresh rubber compound having taken off with old Michelinā€™s and fitted with fresh Vredsteins. Which is the case with all the coments on here. This will be particularly apparent in a warm climate. Or determined by what values you judge it on. if you value a soft ride over directional stability and progressive handling.

I know i am going to get a series of people defying that, now but i also base my theory on the fact that we never get any come back on the Michelin, but we used to get complaints about the dintā€™s in the side wall of the Vredestein. And here is the real crux of the matter. when we sell XAS and XVS tyres we regularly get people ringing us up elated with the improvements to their cars.

And the Vredesteins look dreadful. It just does.

I have a Jaguar bulletin about tyre pressures for radial tyres which includes the Cinturato which we are just putting on this web page as i write http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/jaguar-e-type

It hasnā€™t been easy to get documetation from Jaguar, however i have had this email from their Heritage department.

Hi, ref our discussion yesterday, I tried to check with our archive team but they are temporarily closed for business due to a refurbishment programme. However, I did manage to pick through a very good ā€™ E Type guide book last night and found the following paragraph:

Jaguar E Type Series 1 - 3.8 litre - Wheel and Tyre Equipment

Dunlop Road Speed RS5 tyres were fitted, size 6.40-15. Cars for the USA commonly had white sidewalls, originally with a wide band, later with a narrow band. Dunlop RS5 Road Racing Tyre were available, sized 6.00-15 or 6.50-15 for the wider rim rear wheels.

Jaguar Cars would fit other tyres on request, including radial tyres such as Michelin X. By May 1963, both Pirelli Cintura HS and Dunlop SP.41 HR 185-15 were stated to be available. If SP.41 tyres were fitted, maximum speed should be restricted to 125mph (200 kph).

Hope this helps ā€¦ Martyn

It is worth pointing out that the Cinturato was available well before 1963, like 10 years before 1963! Jaguars comments and tyre choice is very heavily weighted towards their neighbours Dunlop who of course were also producing cheaper tyres than the Cinturato.

I have also been told by period Jaguar employees (who wasnā€™t keen to have his name used) that the Cinturato was used in period. Though of course that is not evidence that would stand up in court it did give me the confidence to look for more evidence. if anyyone else has some please post it.

There is of course the excellent film and an advert with Jimmy Stewart on this page https://www.cinturato.net/e-type-jaguar-tires.html Incidentally that car is owned by a friend of mine that lives about 5 miles from where Longstone Tyres is.

Changes such as ā€œadjustable Gaz shocks all around w/adjustable perches at rear. Poly Bush all around , up-rated anti-sway bar and EBC Red-Stuff pads.ā€ are all things that you would do to a car to modernize it. modern tyres work well with modern cars, so your experience of how a car handles in these circumstances are sort of difficult to consider in relation to a standard car which will have a much softer ride and very importantly will roll more in the corners, which is all part of the vintage experience. Iā€™m not saying modifying cars is wrong, but it is not comparable.

Here is a rather cheesy picture i drew to try to demonstrate the benefits of a proper period tyre over a modern tyre https://www.facebook.com/longstonetyres/photos/a.212924405440944.58518.205313032868748/1155809451152430/?type=3&theater of course it is exaggerated to demonstrate the point.

More modern and wider tyres have effectively sharper shoulders and a flatter foot print which among other things puts more rubber on the road, which even on a classic '60s car with soft suspension and lots of travel that rolls in the corners will improve straight line braking in the dry, but you donā€™t have the caster or adverse camber to take advantage of it when the car rolls in the corners.

A perfect example would be if you assumed the top car is fitting 205/70R15 P4000 (which incidentally are now probably very old. I also believe when these were fitted to the XJ6 they softened the suspension to make up for the harsher tyre)
And the bottom car is fitted with a nice period carcass that is developed in conjunction with cars of the period. in this case cars that were developed with crossply tyres. lets pretend it is the 185VR15 Cinturato https://www.borrani.com/tyres/185x15/exact-match/185vr15-pirelli-cinturato.html

An E-type does not add adverse camber when the suspension is loaded up when cornering, like a modern car does. the wheel stays parallel to the side of the car, and the suspension travels further than a modern sports car. so when the car leans in cornering it rolls onto the rounded shoulders of the tyre and gives progressive handling. However on a modern sharper shouldered wider tyre, it rolls up onto the edge of the tyre and lifts the inside of the tyre and lets go much more dramatically. so lots of grip, then let go, lots of grip then let go.

That description and those pictures might make it look like, if you fit a modern tyre, you are immediately going to crash, which is clearly not true. However what is true is that a period tyre, and i would suggest the Cinturato, will give you a much more pleasurable sporty, light, progressive, rewarding drive that feels fantastic. a modern tyre will give you slightly more ultimate grip in a straight line, but who cares. Only really racers. i donā€™t think you chaps are suffering from locking up your wheels under braking, and the compounds used in the Cinturato are smack bang up to date and move water out the way fantastically. and just having a bigger foot print isnā€™t exactly relative to how much more grip you get you still have the same amount of weight just shared out over a larger area.

Oh yes fatter tyres might mean you do less wheel spins. But give me a brake, iā€™m trying to make a living here. I sell tyres not transmission and half shafts. because of course more grip wears and brakes all that stuff quicker. fatter tyres will make your steering go sloppy and loose quicker.

Oh yes and wheel spins are cool!

These tyres are cheap really, over the years they are on your car. when you buy high specification tyres for a modern sports car from a top brand the prices are comparable.

Here is the thing; if you drive the car put the best tyres on; you will enjoy it more, they are a drop in the ocean compared to other jobs you do on your car.

Pirelli and Michelin cost more than other tyres because they are the highest spec, they have the best build quality and they are made to suit these cars, which means they are made in small batches and cannot be produced like say a Ford Mondeo tyre. also Pirelli and Michelin are 2 of the worlds best tyre manufacturers. I can justify the cost, but i do accept that it is a big hole in your credit card bill.

Back to that rounded shoulder thing. If you have got wide wheels and you like the full wheel arches look and are therefore determined to fit a fatter tyre, then if you fit a period tyre (surprise surprise) such as the Michelin XWX http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/205-70vr15-michelin-xwx.html or the Cinturato CN12 https://www.borrani.com/pirelli-tyres/cinturato-cn12/205-70wr15-pirelli-cinturato.html and the derogatory effect will be diminished and they look miles better.

The P4000 http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page/pirelli-p4000 was a great tyre. they were great on my late series 3 XJV12 but they look awful on a '60s car. all that big modern writing on the side wall and the tread pattern look completely wrong

and to me the Michelins look like SNOW tires. so obviously its a matter of personal opinion.