Electrical woes

It seems to me this it the first issue that needs to be addressed. Not sure what kind of short would have caused smoke and not ruined the harness. But you certainly do not want any more damage. For starters, I would be visually looking for any signs of heat or melted wires in the area you saw smoke. If not, then consider one of the methods mentioned above to find a short. But you need to be confident what caused the smoke so it will not occur again.
Tom
Tom

1 Like

She can always replace the smoke…

:scream:

1 Like

Depends if your looking in the mirror

:joy::joy::joy:

I’ve heard of those.

:+1:

Ok. We are making progress.

What is this symboling on the wiring diagram? Resistor, plug?

This is at the emergency brake switch left of RG

Thanks guys.

Warning light in the dash has white ( live) and red green is the ground side …. Yes that hand brake is your emergency brake

1 Like

The lamp has 12V when the ignition is on. Both reservoirs and the handbrake illuminate the lamp by providing a ground - the reservoirs when fluid is low, the handbrake when the lever is pulled.

1 Like

So where does this wire attaches. We know it goes to the handbrake switch but where does it connect in the fuse panel?

Have you done a check to make sure it goes to brake…… I don’t know for sure on your car….but on a series 1 the only red green goes on the wiper motor switch check the wiring diagram. Note there is a black band on the wire. Just to clarify in the dash panel.

We are looking at the wiring diagram and still confused.

Ok so send a photo of the dash wiring

What color does that wire appear to be? Looks to me like it may be red/black. There is a red/black wire on the side lamp switch, also on the line side of fuse 5:

If it’s red green probably the wiper switch…… but if it’s red black see George’s post above

I already have a red black on fuse 5

The Ohm meter, indicated same wire coming from handbrake switch. Why we are confused.

Ah in that case does it belong to the warning light in the dash

Hmmm. Ok. Let me go try that.

Thanks. :crossed_fingers:t2::hugs:

I believe the wiper uses a Red/Light Green (RLG).

The wires from the brake reservoirs and handbrake are indeed red/green but seems odd the end would present itself behind the center panel but anything is possible.

Ok.l, have not resolved this wire issue this evening but will hack away at it next evening out at the shop.

At least got turn indicator corrected, head light high and low beams, brake lights, hazard lights, reverse light and horn working. Thrilled those are working!

2 Likes

If indeed red/black then it goes from fuse 5 to pin 3 on the headlight switch. Looks like Geo already mentioned this possibility.