Electrical woes

The guys seem sure it is RG. :thinking:

Use an ohm meter and check continuity between the open connector and pin 3 on the headlight switch just to be sure. Photo looks red/black to me but colors in photos are tough to see correctly.

1 Like

Despite what you say, I suggest that you read through this thread. It concerns a red/black wire with a black rubber sleeve on it floating around behind the gauge panel. The conclusion reached was that it is the dotted connection in the wiring diagram that bypasses fuse #5, and is only used in certain markets. I really think that the wire you have is that one. Too much of a coincidence - particularly the black sleeve…

1 Like

Mmmmm I’m thinking now that I’ve found a circuit and that it is actually red black ( old age and old wiring) that David has hit the nail on the head……. It seems that it may go on the power side and ends up on on the side and tail lamps bypassing the fuse …. This might be a fail safe for Germany

1 Like

Will give this a try when we get out there next. Thanks again for the helpful tips Doug! :+1:

Coincidence. I found the exact same wire behind my dash a couple of days ago and wondered where it came from. Its Red/Black with a small black sleeve, the same as yours. I also have the same colour wire on the light switch and on fuse 5. Everything electrical works on my car, As David said, It’s a requirement for certain markets and not ours. The Purple. white / Purple go to the map light under the dashboard. My car is Ex USA.

Cheers Phil.

1 Like

Yep, that is the exact wire configuration we are facing!

Thank you for the confirmation.

We are working on the map light set up now. Think I need to order one as I have not found one in the “parts stash” yet.

Phil, any chance you could snap a picture of the map light and wiring?

Thanks again. :blush:

I thought for sure it was RB but the boys were sticking w/ RG. Does that mean I get a cookie? :heart: :black_heart: :cookie:

2 Likes

Phil, any chance you could snap a picture of the map light and wiring?

I haven’t connected the wires to the lamp yet as the bullet connectors are a loose fit in the light fitting.

Cheers Phil.

…and ice cream, with the boys buying!

3 Likes

No: it would be wrong if you reported what you reported, and didn’t want to roll up in the corner and cry…:persevere:

From dim memory, I think I recall that the wires hooking up that dash light are purple and purple white… It will be interesting to see how wrong I am!

1 Like

Yep. Spot on. 20 Characters

Well that is just darn skippy, that’s where those wires I posted will be going.

1 Like

I mean, this is not the 1st classic car I have worked on, but the first classic British auto. :woozy_face:

Seems exceedingly challenging and a process that fights one at every step.

Not sure if it is singularly our “novice~ness” or that the car is just a huge PITA. Going with a combination of the two.

1 Like

https://media.giphy.com/media/QBG6xS1U8EInrPqCyt/giphy.gif

Fabulous!

:cookie: :icecream:

1 Like

SNAFU…:wink:

Yes. I still find myself there, often.

:grimacing:

1 Like

In case it helps here is my map light. It was kinda falling apart and fouling with the flip down panel. I patched it up with some clear Gorilla Tape and Velcro tape strips to re-mount it and then new bullet connectors on the wires. Works well now for many years.

David
68 E-type FHC

2 Likes

You reckon the brits are bad ……. Try Re wiring a Lancia from the 50’s…… EVERY wire is black……:scream::joy::joy:

Nope… Hard pass.

:flushed:

1 Like