Engine Removal from below

Many thanks for the link to the post. I zoomed into the photos and think I have a good idea of what you did but just want to confirm a couple of items about your setup.

1. Mounting plate is orientated with the parallel slots at the top and the diagonal slots at the bottom.
  2. One short bracket is used as a spacer to fit bolt into the top stabilizer bolt hole.
  3. The two long brackets are used to fit bolts to the lowest two holes on the flange.
  4. The last short bracket bolt does not connect to the other stabilizer bolt hole, but to the hole 2 positions above the lowest hole where the long bracket bolt is fitted.

Thanks in advance to the clarification.

Jay

Worried about the huge weight of a long iron block hanging by bolts from one end? Worry no longer, the solution is simple and (soon to be?) available - hang it from a bracket on one side.
http://forum.etypeuk.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11938&p=117153&hilit=engine+stand#p117153
This link suggests SNGB are involved.

1 Like

Erica, funny, thats exactly what I do…Guess I need to get the 2k stand. JS

Jay,

1. Correct
  2. Correct I think. It will be obvious after you get the two lowest ones on. I wanted at least one bolt as high up on the block as possible.
  3. Correct
  4. Correct. It’s at the machine shop now but when it comes back I might see if I could do the reversing the bracket trick on that one also to try and get it higher up on the block. I came up with that idea on the final bolt. It seemed pretty secure this way though.

I attempted to get the rear round core plug on my block near the center of the mounting plate for balance reasons.

1 Like

There seems to be an echo in heeyah…:grin:

1 Like

Very nice, four 3/8 bolts should be plenty of strength for the load. The only down side is you can’t paint it on the stand or work on the core plugs. It also seems to be an even trickier exercise to transfer onto a stand from a crane. The legs would going across each other. You’d need a ceiling mounted crane or brute force.

Just turn the engine 90deg when its hanging from the crane

1 Like