Evans Waterless Cooling

(Bob Curran) #1

I have just spent an inordinate amount of time reading the numerous opinions on Jag Lovers about Evans Waterless Coolant. Most, if not all, of the people who held negative opinions (based mainly on cooling capacity or cost) had never used it. As far as I could tell, everyone who had used it was very satisfied. What I would like to know is there anyone who has used Evans Coolant who has had a bad experience with it, or who would not use it again?

Bob Curran

(Phil.Dobson) #2

snake oil in my humble opinion.

(Bob Curran) #3

Thanks, but I am looking for the experience of people who have actually used Evans Waterless and have first hand knowledge.

(69 FHC ) #4

I looked on the Mercedes site I occasionally go to. One person related their experience. He likes the stuff but also said it made their engine run hotter.

Post #12 in the below thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w212/430158-waterless-engine-coolant.html

And Post #2 in this thread. The link in that post is interesting.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w204/531843-waterless-coolants.html

(TheoSoares) #5

I used it. In a rebuilt high compression 4.2, my shop swears by Evans. For awhile it was fine, my car around 75-80*C. Then one day I was driving down the highway and my car started to overheat. I pulled over and got a tow home, figured I blew a hose and lost it all. Got home, and the coolant was full. No idea what happened. Drove it a few more times car was running a bit warm still, OK but I was freaked out by it.

Dumped it, flushed the system with royal flush, and put in Water / AF. Runs now at 68*C and haven’t had a single problem since.

It’s fine in my opinion, but it doesn’t cool as well as water. I also drive my car every week so no worries about corrosion, etc. And it’s expensive and slimey. Water for me.

(Paul Wigton) #6

With no exceptions I know of, that’s the reports I have heard.

Not sure of any advantage, over good ol’ fashioned DI water and standard glycol AF.

(Robert Wilkinson) #7

The rep in the clip with Leno made an interesting point. He admitted that an engine would run hotter, but pointed out that thermodynamic efficiency improves as operating temp increases. [That’s a fundamental physical law for heat engines, BTW.] So an engine designed to run hot might use this coolant simply because it can function at temps that are too high for water.

I was amused at the Merc forum…one bloke thought that all liquids contained water, while another thought that water was an element.

(Paul Wigton) #8

Sadly…NOT surprised.

(Matthew Kennedy) #9

Bob,

I haven’t used it, but just like you are doing now I put a lot of thought into using it. I have just recently finished a full rebuild of my 1800 Fiat spider engine and it is completely dry, the best time to try it.

There are three main reasons I decided against it. The system will run hotter and head temperatures increase, the fluid is more viscous and gives a lot more resistance to flow (harder work for the pump and robs power) but lastly was the flammability issue. That was the killer for me.

Hope it helps.

Matt

(Paul Wigton) #10

It’s flammable?

Put that down as a never, for me!!!

(69 FHC ) #11

I thought he was just referencing the Earth, Fire, Wind and Water concept of four elements and would then make reference to The Fifth Element. He missed that opportunity though.

(Bob Curran) #12

I have to admit that I am intrigued but on the fence. My car is completely apart so there are no issues regarding flushing the system. Perhaps foolishly, I rebuilt the radiator with a new core which duplicates the original. If the radiator was not so prominent (as it is on an E-Type), I would have put in a modern core, but on an XK the radiator is fully exposed as soon as you pop the hood. The same goes for an electronic fan. It is a clear improvement but would be such an obvious deviation from original, and can always be added later. In addition, the XK system should only be pressurized to 4 lbs, with the heater core perhaps being the weakest link in the chain. If the Evans waterless would work as advertised, it would be a nice enhancement for an original cooling system in an XK, but that is a serious “if.”

(Trevor) #13

Used it, coolant leaked everywhere. Spoke to Evans who told me I needed to have my engine machined down to finer surface finishes. Wasn’t told that beforehand and wasn’t written in the fine print. Went back to regular coolant. Not worth the hassle.

(Paul Wigton) #14

Have yet to read anything to disabuse me that this stuff, in a regularly- and well-maintained engine, is anything but a solution in search of a problem.

Pun intended.

(Trevor) #15

Came to the same conclusion, worrying about some non-existent corrosion. This stuff causing the problems, such as having to carry evans in the boot for all the leaks I was having. :slight_smile: