Exhaust note with stainless exhaust

Thought about my jag today :thinking: for a minute

Went skiing

Jim

3 Likes

Beautiful!! Wish I could be there! That’s perfect conditions for me!

ok so i have the sound files but how do i up load them?

One approach – since I assume JL does not allow those types of files to be loaded directly – would be to create the files (or on one composite file) on YouTube and then link that file/those files here on JL

Craig

Ah ok I’ll explore that

I had thought I had posted this before. Here is Bell Vs Patriot for argument sake.

They sound the same to me

but I have 68 year old ears that have subjected to 28 years of military service with the attendant rifle ranges. I also shot competitive rifle 9 years of and trap for 6 years.

pATRIOT sounds a tiny bit louder and with just a hint of raspiness. To me

My last e-type had an H pipe instead of mufflers then straight through pipes to the resonators. The tips on the resonators were pointed with a slight turned downwards. The car sounded lake a Ferrari no BS, It’s the best sound I’ve ever heard from an e type. I’ve been trying to find a resonator like those but nothing yet. If anyone has resonators as described in good condition and would like to sell please inbox, cheers!

I have Stainless Steel on my 3.8 OTS and it is raspier than the mild steel. One piece of advice I received recently was to consider changing just the resonators to mild steel (leaving everything else Stainless Steel). There seems to be quite a lot of good logic to this given they are called “resonators” for good reason. Has anyone else tried this mix & match approach?

I have a standard Bell stainless steel system on my 3.8 and I added the Patriot resonators last spring. It definitely sounds better to me and I’m really happy with it.

I think that in the video above the car already has a big bore system installed so I’m not sure how much difference the Patriots would make in that case.

Phil, I installed the Bell SS system, but retained the original mild steel resonators. It sounds deep and throaty to my tin ear.

Given the limitations of recording the sound with a digital video camera this is what my car sounds like at various RPM, from an 800 RPM idle to a max of 3,000 RPM.

The downpipes are stainless the rest of the system is stock mild steel. The mufflers are Jaguar branded from SNG.

2 Likes

Good evening Jag Lovers, picture this at the end of the resonators instead of an attachment that gives that killer sound, it’s awsome!

Are you saying that just attaching those tips makes a big difference?

Big bore will not slow you down if fed by Hayward & Scott headers with 45mm primaries and 50mm secondaries. And the sound is wonderfully nasty.

On a stock engine, headers that size will almost assuredly cost you low end torque.

On stock, perhaps, although 45 mm is not radical. Assuredly not if one allows the engine to breathe through K&Ns and installs richer needles.

I posted these resonator tips to show what these turn down tips are like. I found these on line that are accessories to the originals, that would possibly duplicating the sound. My car however had no mufflers, but an “H” cross over pipe and resonators only.

If I cannot find those resonators I’ll use these tips with a cross over or an “H” pipes to duplicate the sound. These pipes can be located on line from any reputable muffler store or supplier like Jegs performance parts. The ones on my old car looked like farmer Joe found some old pieces of pipes and welded them together with a set of decent resonators to produce that million dollar sound

If you need eye candy then you can spend thousands to get a good sound, but if you would like a great sound without spending big bucks to get it, then this I believe is the perfect solution. You can get the turn-down pipes at Napa Auto stores, cheers!..

(https://s7d9.scene7.com/is/image/GenuinePartsCompany/197654804?id=BLqsU1&fmt=jpg&dpr=off&fit=constrain,1&wid=400&hei=400&layer=1&text=%20&&pos=5,5&opac=55)

1 Like

what is the slightly bent pipe???