Front bumper 1973 Jaguar XJ6 S1

Hey Mike, where did you mount switch for fog lamps? Thank you Steren

Hi Steve. The original location for the fog lamp switch is in the dash next to the tach. There is actually a rectangular cutout in the plywood hidden by the veneer that is where itā€™s supposed to be installed. The switch is peculiar to S1 XJ and Daimlerā€¦ Iā€™ve looked and havenā€™t found the same switch used by other cars although itā€™s possible. Itā€™s become fairly hard to find in the past few years.

Iā€™m lucky enough to have found the correct nos switch so itā€™s in the correct dash position.

Also the red/yellow wire for the fog lights is in place in the lighting wiring harness on the left side - at least it was for my LHD 72 which of course didnā€™t come with fog lamps.

~Mike

Here is a pic of the back of the dashboard where the cutout is

Thank you Mike , I have NOS lamps , mounts and switch.

So if I understand correctly you mounted the early bumper to the existing mounts after cutting off some of the metal? Did you use the early bumperā€™s horizontal braces (shown in your photo)? I assume you did.

Nice jobā€“means you donā€™t need the early bonnet hinges, right?

Yes, early bumper, existing mounts cut on an angle so lower piece of mount would not show underneath bumper. May have ground down metal before bolt on hinge to get closer to body of car. Donā€™t know which brackets were used yet because I was driving the body shop crazy. I will let you know when I pick up the car,it has to be polished. Next project fog lamps.

1 Like

Also rubber underneath overrides was just some kind of stepping the body shop had. It had a groove in it and fit perfectly, which is great, because I donā€™t believe anyone is making it.

It ws the early style brackets

/Users/stevenraskind/Pictures/Icloud photos.photoslibrary/resources/proxies/derivatives/37/00/3763/UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3763.jpg

1 Like

So do you only have to run wire from lamps to connection on back of dash? Any Photos? Thanks Steven

Thanks very much Steven. Your detailed description is very useful to me.

And to me. Mucho Graciasā€™
Phillip

No pics but unlike S3 itā€™s not as simple as just hooking up the RY wire. The switch is powered from the headlight switch through an inline fuse. That wiring isnā€™t there - it came with the fog-lamp kit. What I did was use the RY wire to switch a relay and run new power wire from the stud on the firewall through the relay and to the lamps. Much better than original.

~Mike