Fuel pump rebuild/conversion

I have a dead SU round body fuel pump from my 65 MkX. I am going to rebuild it. It is a points type. Can this be rebuilt as a solid state pump or do I have to stay with points?

thanks

Bill

Bill Imho just buy a new one solid state
It’s so cheap now and negative OR positive ground depending on the year.
Gtjoey1314
I just did mine
On eBay to Moss to Sng
Average 180 dollars?

In the UK it’s just not worth rebuilding really , rebuild kit is about £60 , new pump about £90 .

You can also upgrade the working of the points cradle by fitting a points saver like this.

kind regards
Marek

1 Like

Yup. Better to repair/recycle than landfill.

1 Like

Bill, If you do rebuild it
Can you post pictures
I’d like to see the condition of the internal parts with 15 years of ethanol gasoline
On the market,unless your in farm country with no ethanol?
Would be interesting
Gtjoey1314

When I got my Daimler I drove it home 200 miles and the fuel pump failed twice :astonished: Nothing that couldn’t be fixed just by switching the ignition off then on again though.

I ordered a new one from ebay - German made and guaranteed to fit but it didn’t. I got my money back without any hassle but I had to pay the return carriage even though they had mis-described it.

So I went direct to Burlen and their service was absolutely 100%. The guy I spoke to knew exactly which pump would be right for my car and it arrived in a few days. No problems since.

I bumped into our local Morris Minor expert and he said it was near enough the same pump as an MGB. He also offered to refurbish my old pump to keep as a spare and did so for about £25, if I remember right. He has done hundreds over the years so I am confident it would work for another 50 years if I hadn’t bought a new one before I spoke to him.

1 Like

I’m in farm country, but this car was in dry storage for 20+ years. Last time I put gas in it was around 2000 or 2001 I think and it was 2 full tanks of AVgas as it went into storage. Pop the caps and it smells fine (no I’m not planning on running it with 20+ year old gas even if it is AVgas), but the pump diaphragms have dried out. Kits are $60 each and new pumps from Moss are $262 each. I’m building pumps! I was just considering the solid state conversion as the solid state repair kits are $31 each (no points in the kit). I just have to find the ss conversions as referenced by MarekH

Take pics. AV gas is a dream come true

I have rebuilt about a dozen of them with conversions to transistorized operation, the first about 28 years ago. Some were for other people. The ones still with me have been excellent in service since then.

I dealt with a couple of dead pumps a few years ago. The end of the thread has some contact info for parts. Maybe they can help you out.
Micah

SU Pump rebuilding - Saloons - Jag-lovers Forums (jag-lovers.com)