Grand Circle Oil Leak under way

The Grand Circle Oil Leak is now under way. If you would like to follow our progress you can do so at:

https://gcol2018.blogspot.com

A photo album exists: working on a link. See later post…

Enjoy!
-David

3 Likes

Thanks for the links! I for one really enjoy the pics and the posts.
Bob

David,

Who is on the tour?

BTW - You did not get the permissions right on the second link - I get a 404 error.

Regards,
Ray L.

David;
Thanks for posting. I will follow your trip with interest.

Joel.

Ray,

There is a “cast of characters” listed on right hand sidebar of the blog. It may not be present on the mobile version. I will try to fix the photo permissions.
[edit later]: The photo link should be:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/mNiBZnhgDvA79dXg8

-David

1 Like

Thanks for posting your blog, David. Gosh, how I wish that I could join you on one of these tours, but the time off work and the distance to join the group prevent Carol and me from joining. At least the rest of us on the forum can enjoy the trip vicariously. And you do a beautiful job with the photos. Thanks again and keep them coming.

Gosh I envy having a open road view like this looking over the bonnet of my E. Did you get to punch it and take it up over a hundred ? I remember being on the road between Flagstaff and the North Rim in the early '90’s in a rental Mustang and having a great time. Got a ticket from a park Ranger once we got back in the park on the North Rim for going much slower.

David
68 E-type FHC

Partly why I love living in these wide open spaces!

David,

If I took mine over a hundred I’m petty sure there would be a cop round the corner and I would lose my license. The days of a mild ticking off as long as you show the cop the motor are gone, at least around here. Over 100 is a felony, and as a green card holder, I could be deported. I can have enough fun in our E-Type without going to extremes…:grin: Read today’s account (when I write it) of what can happen… I think the subject will be spending the night in jail…

-David

3 Likes

I thought I had heard some of the lonely roads out west had pretty high speed limits now days so wonder if might be some good opportunities for low risk higher speed E-type performance . I may be becoming jaded too since I cannot remember the last time I saw a cop on any of the Houston area freeways enforcing the much needed speed limits for the traffic conditions. On many days my view in the slow lane reminds me of a scene from a Top Gear special since bad road behavior goes pretty much un-checked around here.

David
68 E-type FHC

Made it back home just after 3 PM Saturday. Had had hoped that the transmission would hold up for the trip and it did. Did not realize that someone else had a trans failure until I read blog. Even though I have a newer Alfa 4C I am still amazed at how well the E did on the trip. long runs at 80 mph and short blasts of 90 and 100 mph. Lots of power to pass slower cars even at higher elevations 6k to 9K feet. On the subject of passing I saw too many close calls, I am very cautious when it comes to passing. On the trip home I was doing 75 mph and coming up on a slow moving pickup on a two lane (my direction) pulled into left lane to pass and suddenly the pickup moves to the left and then back to the right, crazy.
Fantastic “Oil Leak” thanks to Geo and Joe Lucas.
Glenn, one of three on the trip.

3 Likes

Safely home by Saturday afternoon (I had one of the shorter distances to cover).

Alas, the tolerance for speed is not what it was a couple of decades ago (and possibly just as well) though my GPS does record the max speed for the trip - checking it now I see it says 100. I am sure that was a singular event, probably during the execution of a pass.

I did get a consistent 21.6 mpg - not that any of us much care about economy in an E-Type but it is possibly an indication that the engine is running well.

The driveline problem that will be bringing one car home on a trailer has yet to be diagnosed. There is some hope that a failed U-Joint is the culprit which would be an easy fix.

Waiting for the tunnel in Zion… Jaguars as far as the eye can see:

4 Likes

congratulations. I wish I could drive mine 10 mi.

Debbie and I got home by just after noon on Saturday. I guess we had the shortest return leg of all. Makes a nice change from the 2-3 day haul. I have now “pumped out the bilges” and the carpets and underlay are hanging out over a railing dripping gently! Thanks to Geo’s inspiration my “tool tray” now slides all the way back without hanging on the floor mat studs. Thanks again to Geo for putting together a wonderful tour, and safe trip home for those still out on the road.

3 Likes

Got home yesterday evening having travelled 3,172 miles with the only ‘hiccup’ being a slipped choke cable in Ely Nevada that prevented Shawnee B.A. from starting with an ambient temp in the mid 20’s. Suspect that total miles driven ‘award’ will go to Drew, he should get home this afternoon.
Great tour Geo! Looking forwards to next years tour, now off to the garage to pull out the Koolmat and find (hopefully) the source for the muddy water that kept coming up into the drivers side foot well.
It was great to see you all!
Cheers,
LLynn

2 Likes

Mary and I made it back to Austin around 12:30 Monday afternoon. Drove through rain and low 40 temps all the way from Sonora, Texas. I am a little tired of dealing with rain and cold although the tour itself was okay and quite enjoyable with some fantastic days. I didn’t mind seeing the snow as it was another beautiful part of the trip. Our car had water problems too as the driver’s footwell filled last night and Mary’s filled on Friday night. We drove 3,434 miles and averaged 21.64 mpg which, as Geo says, would indicate a good tune. Everything is drying out in the garage and the rain continues to come down at our house.

–Drew

2 Likes

Got home safe and sound Monday afternoon. Car stayed dry after Geo salvaged me with tape to put across the top. But then, I’ve been sealing little leaks for a decade.

Drove a mere 2800 and change miles, lost track of the gallons of fuel purchased, but know the mileage is about 18.5 at 80mph and A/C on. (only used it across the desert)

Looking forward to next year…

LLoyd

A step backward, after making a wrong turn, is a step in the right direction.

Kurt Vonnegut

3 Likes

If one searches the archives, I think you’ll find @chuck_goolsbee refers to that as “confusion tape.”

:slight_smile:

T’was good to see the few I knew, in Scottsdale: I hope to bring Margaret on a future Oil Leak.

2 Likes

Good to see you, Paul. I still haven’t decided what type of rear-view mirror I will install. The clamp on I used this trip didn’t hold up well to the 80 mph on Interstate 10 and it fouled on the opening of the door.

–Drew