Hazard switch problem?

I need to get a roadworthy certificate for my 1979 coupe. I can then register the car as being over 25 years old and together with my membership of the local Jag club that entitles me to a yearly registration fee saving hundreds of dollars.

I have been checking everything needed to comply with the certificate before taking it to a registered mechanic to get the official check completed.
Last thing was to make sure the hazard switch worked. Well it does work but only appears to flash the indicators on one side of the car. I pulled the switch and it functions perfectly. So I delved into the pre HE wiring diagram and it does look like the hazard switch only activates the flashers on one side.
I have once or twice before turned on the hazard switch sitting in the car and for sure the HAZARD lamp in the instrument cluster always works, and I hear the flasher unit clicking, but I never checked all the indicators on the outside were working.

Anybody with a pre HE checked the hazard switch and found all indicators working ?

How can that be Richard?
Why don’t you post the diagram to have a look?

It took a while Aristides.
I eventually puzzled out the pre-HE circuit diagrams in the ROM and pulled out the hazard switch.
The ROM circuits were drawn before there was software for that job, so are far from elegant and give no information about how the hazard switch actually works.
Also there are many wires the ROM does not designate with a colour, and discrepancies between the ROM and wire colours in my car.
The hazard switch is Lucas and quite sturdy, with a plug that terminates the wires and makes contact with the switch pins. I had to pull the plug apart to figure out how the switch works and which pins have which wires.
Once I replaced the plug on the switch everything worked as it should.

A couple of pdf files are attached for anybody equally puzzled in the future.
PRE-HE XJ-S INDICATOR & HAZARD CIRCUIT.pdf (202.3 KB)
XJ-S INSTRUMENT CLUSTER.pdf (59.8 KB)

2 Likes

This might be a better pdf.
PRE-HE XJ-S INDICATOR & HAZARD CIRCUIT.pdf (203.7 KB)

1 Like