Help with identity of wheels

Does anyone out there know where a guy might find the supplier for the wheels in this photo? They appear to be black spoked wire wheels of some sort.
Thank you,
Phillip
Black%20XJC

What I can tell you is that it’s a BBS wheel. I have one and only one. It was the OE or Dealer wheel on my first 86 XJ6. The PO replaced the other 15" BBS wheel with a later 17" wheel; probably because 15" tires for a Jag are a bit limited.

The wheels are alloy colored or “natural” the wheels get painted at the dealer. or somebody else. I’ve been looking for 3 more (mine is gold) but I haven’t had any luck. BMW’s used the wheel a lot in the 90’s and early 2000’s but the bolt pattern and center is off.

That’s all I know about that wheel. OH, I can probably get you a part number… tomorrow.

1 Like

Mark,
Thank you for the response. Looks like they may be a tough item to find. Now that I know they are original Jag I can use that in my search. What does BBS stand for?
I may need to buy a car that has the wheels, replace with something else, and then sell that car.
If I happen to run across any, I will let you know.
Phillip

1 Like

BBS stands for the initials of the two company founders Baumgartner and Brand and the location Schiltach, a small town inthe Black Forest.

The wheels are typically referred to as lattice wheels and can be found on eBay etc.

Good luck
Jochen
75 XJ6L 4.2 Auto (UK spec)

2 Likes

I bought a Series III for the headlight trim. Unfortunately I wasn’t smart enough to sell it. What a money pit but my daughter will be happy (hopefully) when it’s done.

Mark

Here’s a picture of the wheel. This is a 15" and apparently is as hard to find as rocking horse poop (struggling to be politically correct :blush: ).

In '90 the XJ-S had a 16" wheel that was factory. This is my '90 XJ-S convertible. This wheel is a 16" and you can find these on ebay. People have had them chromed and also painted. This is a factory wheel. Part # CBC24693

I did a quick search on the 16" Lattice wheel and they’re readily available.

Hope this helps. Oh, one thing about the "Chrome"d wheels. they chrome doesn’t stick to alloy very well and with time, the two metals part ways and pit. I’ve got several XJ-S starfish wheels where that has happened. Especially if the neighbors dog comes and pisses on them. :angry:

Thank you thank you thank you. It looks like the wheel that I am searching for. Just need to paint the lattice portion. I suppose painting it the same color as the car body would be hoakie?
I would not anticipate a problem with using a 16" wheel on a '76 XJC?
Thank you again. I will let all know if I find any (15" or 16").
Phillip

The 15" is what I"m looking for, Thank you!

Just to clarify, the original Jaguar “Lattice” wheels were not BBS. Or, at minimum, you won’t find “BBS” markings and the style is somewhat different than the typical BBS lattice wheel that was de rigueur in the 80s. Back then everybody and their brother was using a “BBS style” wheel, it seems.

The pic shows the Jaguar wheel

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

That wheel is a 16" right Doug?

Doug’ picture shows CBC2469 which is a 15" inch wheel.

Paul

Hmmm… Good to know. Thanx @Paul_M_Novak

Oh, yeah… I guess so. Blow the picture up and you can actually read the tire size. Nice one paul :slightly_smiling_face:

Some of the facelift cars had a similar looking lattice wheel that was 16". Someone who knows about those wheels will have to chime in with the details and pictures.

Paul

The Jaguar lattice wheels (“Sport Alloy” is the official name, I think, in Jaguar-speak) were available in 15x6.5 (most common), 16x7, and 16x8 (rare!). There may have been a 15x7 version…but I can’t swear to that.

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

I had a set of 16s on an XJ40 (1994) 6.0

They are shown in the 93-94 XJ12 brochure on the old website and have a diamond turned rim rather than painted

And they look particularly handsome on XJ40s.

More so than many other cars, color and wheels make a huge difference on XJ40s, IMO

Cheers
DD

The wheels on my XJ-S are 16 x 7’s the parts catalog doesn’t show the lattice until the facelift. at least mine doesn’t but that doesn’t mean a whole lot either.

M

Just a quick thank you to all that have responded to my question. I will now have some great information to help me locate a set of these wheels and maybe a set for Mark Lee.
Phillip

Thanx that would be awesome! I’m really sick of the Dayton Wires on the Green XJ. I’m almost to the point of swapping out for the set of Kents I’ve got kicking around. Not a real big fan of the Kent Style. but I’m sick of keeping the wires clean and rust free (here in the Pacific Northwest), the wheels are heavy, bump a curb (like my kid did) and their not true any more.

Wire wheels are like dating a super model. Even though she’s moody, demanding and temperamental, you stick around on the off chance you might get a little. :wink:

Most still walking the runway are awful skinny!!!

After they mature and leave then, oh yeah!!!

On point.

My 83 SIII looks really nice shod with the XJS lattice wheels. I note that Doug’s siomiar car albeit with 4 more cylinders sports them as well.

I like them a lot more than the Kents. I forgot the width m easure but more…

Carl

1 Like