Hood tack strip question

did you wrap it in vinyl to match the interior? can’t tell from last pic

Probably the main reason to wrap is to protect a wood strip since it can rot. It’s not really necessary with rubber, but if it’s not at least tucked behind the strip and looped over the body edge, then the bare painted metal will be visible inside the car behind the trip panels.

I was at a JANE meet and the judge was explaining to an entrant the point deduction for not wrapping the tack strip, going all around from behind the strip then pulling a tail over the cowl and under the interior Hardura trim
IIRC the way he said to do it

1 Like

It’s not possible to know whether the strip is wrapped without dissembling the top. But you can tell that it wasn’t wrapped over top of the metal. The painted edge would be visible all around the back.

he was looking under the top at the rear deck from outside and could tell that it wasn’t wrapped around the tack strip

Not sure how that’s possible on a well done install. There is a chrome strip screwed in all the way around and a rubber bead under that contacting the body. If someone tried to pry that up on mine they’d get a cold beverage thrown in their face.

1 Like

I went with the vinyl mid way over the rubber. Have a look at the pics higher in the thread at #23.

Going to order this belt from Ebay, looks to be the same listed above.

Jaglovers approved?

For the alternator? Should work just fine so long as it’s the right length.

Aga!

Subsequent photos shows me how the belt is used in that position… Wonderful idea!

Yes, this one should work great for you too, Larry didnt post pics of his success, hope he will chime in time report.

1 Like

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

You’re funny!

Great idea this forum has, use a tack strip instead of the wood.

Nicole,
Been busy the last few days and not on Jag-Lovers. Just saw this.as long as it is the 1500 mm length, that’s the one. As I recall, I did trim the height so that it was thinner. And I wrapped it the interior vinyl. Let me pull what pics I may have taken.

1 Like

So of course the first is why i needed to redo the strip. You will most likely need to use a strong heat gun to straighten the belt as best as one can. I got my pretty straight but as you can see in one of the pic’s , on the right side there is still a kink that had to be fettle with during the install to lay flat. I wrapped the new belt after cutting down the thickness. Used contact cement and stapled the vinyl to the underside of the belt. Make sure you give yourself plenty of width of vinyl, it would have been nicer if mine extended underneath the hardura, even tho there are trim pieces. Before I glued the vinyl to the car, I used SS #4 wood screws from the inside to hold the belt. I added a few more than there were holes drilled through the car for the original as these don’t have nuts, they simply bite into the rubber.

For the top itself. I rolled the trimmed edge underneath itself as I stapled the top to the rubber, a much neater solution I think and eliminates the piping. The chrome trim covers the staples and even though my top is a bit short, as years ago I let the cut edge show, and didn’t want to but a new top this time, throwing a slew of staples has kept it attached well.

I didn’t get around to cutting in for the chrome hood tonneau clips as we were in process of getting the house ready for sale in Jan 2021 when I had started this. I have to figure out a way to add those now without ripping the top off. Or at least no totally

Here is a closeup of the final result with the rolled edge and no piping.

Good luck and sorry I didn’t see this earlier.

Larry

1 Like

Superb Larry! It looks amazing.

These are the things that make this forum my saving grace! I’m totally a visual learner. This explains perfectly how it will work. Seeing your deteriorated wood makes sense why this will be a superior product choice!

I also have biscuit interior so this is what mine will look like!

Many thanks sir! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: :blush:

Candie

1 Like

Oh forgot to tell you, use SS for the staples as well as the screws

1 Like

Made the mistake of using brass for something and that ended badly. Too soft and broke.

Candie …so can stainless they tend to break too ! Zinc steel are fine ……will out last me !

1 Like

Without fatigue?
At least they would not rust due to possible water ingress in that area…

1 Like