I am new to this forum and looking for my first xke

HEY, just a minute now. :smiley:

Back on topic. Research the pros and cons of the various models and buy the one that best suits your desires (and pocketbook)… You sound knowledgeable so you probably already know not to let anyone talk you into what you don’t want.

for sure… They look much bigger in the pictures, especially with the hardtop on… :slight_smile:

True!, bought mine as a small wreck basket. Dry California car, So never drove it. Then after having my car gutted for two year restoration upon the final interior install a few months back, I finally sat in it. My first thought was WHOA! This thing is tiny! I fit comfortably, but just barely. If I don’t lean the seat pretty far back my hair rubs the headliner.

Ah, but there’s an eloquent solution … the Series 3s, which are more reasonably priced than the sixes.

1 Like

Just ran across this candidate this morning… a little spit and polish…did I mention they rust?

Oh my! “Matching numbers.”

Yes, of course. As of now I am flexible enough to get into and out of my Corvettes. Hopefully that will remain.

Y’all complaining about the size of E-Types need to spend more time in an MG Midget. (See mine below) That said, it is true that I was surprised to find out how snug Es are, considering their overall length.

1 Like

I do like the covered headlights, toggle switches, ignition key positioned in the middle of the dash, and more that come in those model years. Agreed about not rushing. It took about 2 1/2 years for me to find my '66 after many disappointing long distant drives and a few plane rides.

Thank you for that. I am in the first stages of my search. I am keeping all options open.

Welcome to this group of people with a collective knowledge on the E-type bigger than any book written. More like all books, plus some.
It’s certainly the right time to get THAT car. It’s all about Quality Time Remaining - QTR. (my daily driver tag)
As a prime example of what not to do when buying an E, must undisputedly be off the internet and unseen. That’s what I did, duh.
No knowledge of this fine forum and others out there, at the time, I relied on the fact that the car was a California car, some nice pictures and got sucked into an auction.
9 years later I have my dream car, but would do it somewhat differently next time.
Good luck hunting … Ole

2 Likes

You mention budget. I’m hoping to end up in the $75k +/- range. What do you think my chances are?

Rust actually IS the #1 deal killer with Corvettes. Yeah, I know- fiberglass body. Go figure.
I like your take on the type of use the Ser I and Ser II experienced in their time.

Decent. That money buys three different cars. It easily buys an excellent series two.
Trickier with a series one. It will buy a what I would call a “b” class restoration, which is a cross your fingers situation, Or a pretty nice honest car that needs a few things.
I would go with the honest car, if you enjoy working on them some. Really, if you up your budget ten or so, you will get into a better class.

Thank you. I’ll look into that book.

Welcome Carlo. 75k is a decent chunk of change. As mentioned already BAT keeps a comprehensive history of completion prices so you can see exactly what you can get for that. Also as mentioned, it’s obvious that 75k buys you a lot more S2 than S1.

Consider the 68 model year for many of the cool S1 features but with open headlights for better night driving. They generally sell for less.

As to the subject of wrenching, as you spend more time here you’ll note that you’re issued a wrench when you buy the car. They aren’t set it and forget it and something always needs tweaking.

3 Likes

I’m not looking to do much wrenching- a little bit is ok. I do want to spend most of my time with the car driving it. I checked-out briefly the link you posted. I’ll definitely look at it closer. Thank you

Thanks for that. I have a '66 and '68, which as you commented, are roomy. I also have a '17 which could be tight for some, but I am not a towering guy, I should be okay. I think ?

After my S1 was rebuilt I have followed the maintenance chart and it has held up very well so far. Of course, I had expert advice on tuning the three SU carbs and an expert put on the headlight covers and chrome trim after my respray. :slight_smile:

A very good point by Erica and the 68 is going to cost less and drive just the same. Also, try getting into and out of a Miata. My wife had one and it was even more difficult than my FHC. The first time you drive an E-Type be aware the bonnet pokes way out there.