Ignition Warning Light Suddenly On - Alternator?

Atlas. Also sold under other badges. I had one for a time. Son has it now…

Way back when I was in old hot rodder Tom Beaty’s shop. His Chevrolet pickup was Olds powered. And super charged. he made his pulleys on an old lathe!!!

Mine is a Craftsman… they also were Dunlap’s sold by Sears

Is that pulley a press fit with nut or what. Any keyway… How will you adjust in out position

In my experience, alt pulleys are typically a slip fit with a nut you tighten the bejeezus out of with an impact wrench. Everyone else’s experience agree? I don’t recall ever seeing a key in one. I do recall having a hell of a time getting that nut loose now and then.

I’m still pondering the fact that the hole is 17mm. That’s really big. I’m guessing they had to go massive here because of the belt loads, especially when people overtighten the belts to address a slipping ribbed belt.

Yes 20 characters 20

I think the pulleys on the starter/generators of both my tractors have keyways, but never on an alternator.

Miss the old Sears stores that sold appliances with parts lists that allowed you to repair them and almost every tool and warranted them for life.

1 Like

FYI, I’ve got Land Rover alternator installed (do i now have a Marelli car?), but it was not a plug n play. A few spacing washers were needed in two places, as was cutting some plastic off back of alternator to fit huge Jaguar alternator cable eyelet. I forgot that I need a bigger alternator belt, so have that on order. Once I get it all working (next week), I will make a separate post about fitting this LandRover alternator in with the aftermarket pulley I bought.

Regarding pulley, yep, just slip it on, then washer, then nut. 70ftlbs. I don’t have impact gun, so it was an interesting setup…I put huge 12 point wrench on nut, with other end of wrench in a vice. Then got my torque wrench with the 6 point hex socket (the alternator shaft has female hex), right hand on wrench and left hand holding alternator, and managed to get the torque wrench to ‘click’. (If I had a helper, or three arms, it would have been easier)

My 34 year old Lucas was looking quite tired.

Also, the new alternator is quite ‘open’, so any coolant work above, ill make sure to cover!

Nice work. I’m not that ambitious… we just replaced the Lucas and let it go at that

Thank you. I’m still aching from it all, 4 hours of work. Took me a few tries to make sure pulley lined up. Very difficult fitting bolts when you need two hands to lift alternator into place. And i ended up having to remove fan and all belts.

I’m only in my late 50s, but wonder if i can keep this up! I’m trying to quickly restore this car before i need restoring!!!

1 Like

Looks good Greg! 20 chars

As I recall Sears labeled it’s top merchandise Craftsman and it’s economy merchandise Dunlap.

I have an arbor shaft of the Dunlap brand. Powered by a motor sourced from a defunct washer. Stone on one side and wire wheel on the other. Kinda patched together, but, it does work… .

I took two junky lathes… a Craftsman with gears and a Dunlap and made this lathe work. I have rebuilt a few lathes over the years… I went to a surplus store and found the motor… an old GE that says on the tag. Washing machine motor… 1/4 hp… Oil cups that wick oil upward to bearings

I forgot where I scrounged up the motor for mine. Some GP 1/3 HP unit. The local electric shop showed me how to reverse the rotation and simplify the mounting, I had a couple of reversing switches. Used one to power up. never got around as to how to connect it I had spare gears to enable a reverse drive!!! and a manual and a source for a lot of the parts. One support for the lead screw was missing., The source could no longer offer one. I found one on EBay!!!.

I agree today’s market for appliances is pretty sorry. We opted to repair our old Maytag washing machine rather than buy the junk that passes for appliances today.

But if it’s tools you’re looking for, know that Sears sold the Craftsman brand to Lowe’s. Same warranty continues, I just swapped a broken socket at a Lowe’s the other day – although it did involve some discussion. Just head for the tool department at Lowe’s and you’ll find an aisle full of Craftsman stuff, including drawers full of sockets and wrenches sold individually.

2 Likes

Curious, mine needed washers only at the tensioner bar…

Likewise on mine; although I did adjust the thickness of the OE washer that is between the alternator front ear and the bracket to fine tune the belt alignment. IIRC, the thickness increased by .025” and was calculated by measurement of the Lucas mounting vs. the pulley center.

Funny, mine ended up needing exactly three washers on the tension bar too, and THEN I saw your photo. So I got it right :wink:

Regarding the other one, as you can see in my photo way above I added a washer towards rear pivoting ear. Like Robert said, the distance between the two ears was a tad more on the Land Rover. I experimented with sandwiching the washer between the front ear/pivot, but that put my pulley out too far front.

Technically, where I ended up putting the washer I guess wasn’t really needed, as that little thing in the rear ear will be pressed forward to fill the gap once I tighten it, but I didn’t want to take a chance that there was too big a gap, so I put a washer in there.

So got new Land Rover alternator in and working. Now getting high 13s when idling at 700rpm, and drops to 12.6V with headlights, fan, stereo, and aux fan on. I guess thats ok, for a 100amp alternator? I was surprised, the biggest voltage drop was from interior fan!

Ignition warning light is completely out. So all good.

Will write up this weekend.

In reading through your posts, I think that you may have a poor ground path in some of your circuits - I do no think that you should be losing those volts like that when you turn on the headlight, fan, stereo and aux fan - I read that this is a new alternator, so it should be working correctly - check that your battery is clean on top, across the area between the negative and positive posts - check the condition of the battery voltage level - verify that there are clean good grounds for all those items that you turned on - does the alternator output increase with the increase of the rpms, when these items are turned on?