Installing windshield chrome strip (or trying to)

IMG_00011

There are two ways this has to bend (I think) the first is the curvature of the glass, done that. The second, it appears, is the vertical aspect (?).

As you can see I have the middle part seated, but the ends are pointing up. If I try to bring the ends down, that of course forces the bottom out of the seal in the middle.

I have no idea what to do, or which way to bend it for the vertical bend, let alone how with out mucking up the chrome strip

Thanks all, Pat

Try flipping it over and try it again.

When flipping it over that just accentuates the problem I am having.
Pat

Did you remove that trim piece to replace the windshield or is it a recently acquired one (new or used) ?

it is new I’m afraid… my project car never came with one installed.
Pat

Try to CAREFULLY clamp the middle section on a bench or similar then CAREFULLY bend the ends in the direction needed.
Test, repeat, patience…

Pat, where did you buy it from? When I replaced the gutter chrome trim on my coupe I bought a set from SNG and one set from Martin Robey. I used one piece from each set because the other pieces looked just like your bottom trim piece. There’s no way they would fit.
Andy

I had this same thing happen back when I did my '68 restoration. There was no way I could get the lower piece to fit, finally measured the thickness of the new piece and it was a ‘hair’ thicker. Gave up and reused the original dinged piece which fit perfectly. Sorry to hear that nothings changed. Good luck.
Cheers,
LLynn

I got it from SNG, will try the vice ending suggestion tomorrow. Unless anyone here has a spare used lower trim for an S2 2+2.
Pat

Just use your hands to shape it. Whene done shaping the chrome. you should be able to hold it up to the rubber and have the correct shape before installing.

I used the bench vice idea, but I’m afraid that I could not get it to bend any amount, at all. On the bottom (when on the car) is a bent upwards “lip” that acts as a total reinforcement to the strip and will not let it bend.

There must be someone out there that has installed a new lower chrome strip for a 2+2 - please!
Thanks, Pat

How’s this for an option. Ad says it’s new…

Pat, my experience is limited to the OTS, but I am sure both models show the same challenge for this specific part.
If the windshield is not properly seated = rubber fully seated down, there no single chance to get the chrome strip to fit. I struggled with this and thought that the original chrome trip had been deformed during the rechroming process, bought a new one and tried to no avail. Finally, discovered that the painter had been a bit too generous with the filler along the lip on which the rubber would sit. Once the excess filler/paint had been removed (and a normal protective paint layer done), the rubber went back fully seated and the windshield went in easy and deeper inside the car. The old chrome could be fitted in one step starting from one side (+ I understood why it had a small hole drilled on each side hidden under the hockey sticks), see pics:

Thanks for the link to the ebay strip, I contacted them and they bought it from an estate sale so they know nothing of the history of it (I was hoping it had been installed). So as the masking tape says new, I suspect it would put me in the same boat I’m in now.

Thanks Ralph for your feed back, it all helps. But the thought of taking my glass out again is pretty scary, I’ll have to figure something out - but what…
Pat

How I installed mine of both the FHC and 2+2. I’ve done this maybe 6 times total as I had the cars painted, replaced damaged windscreens and bad gaskets.

1. Tape padding all over the bonnet and scuttle.

2. Center the chrome strip without installing it. Mark where the ends are with a piece of tape on the windscreen. Loosely fit the doglegs to ensure they cover the end of the chrome strip.

3. Start at one end by laying a small 2"-3" bead of weatherstrip adhesive under one end. Work about 3"-4" under the lips on the windscreen seal.

4. Run a small, 1/2" long sheet metal screw through the hole in the end of the trim strip into the locking strip .

5. Work the strip into position along it’s length.

6. When you get to the far end, repeat steps 3 and 4.

7. Let the adhesive dry overnight and remove the two screws. The weatherstrip will rebound and fill the hole the screw made.

1 Like

John, it’s been several years since I checked in. I’m back to doing my old convertible and now doing the chrome and it has been a real bear on the lower chrome. You mention that the dog legs should show overlap with the strip yet when I do a rough check it looks like about an inch is exposed. I don’t follow how your estimation shows overlap? If the chrome is outside the rubber I would expect the strip to be more to the front of the car. I’m guessing anyone who’s done this has had questions of the length but this piece is original to the car and my science tells me no shrinkage has occurred.
The other question regards the screws holding the ends. I gather it is to keep the strip from popping out? I have extensive experiences with superglue and it has occurred to me that I could bond string to those ends instead of drilling holes.
Thanks

So your glass is in and locking strip in? Until this is done it is impossible to actually attempt to get the chrome seated in the seal . Lay the chrome on the top it should conform to the shape of the seal and screen …especially if this has been on the car before. Measure the distances at the ends they should be equal both sides and equidistant from the centre of the screen …… if they are correct mark the rubber with tape both ends , Separately place the hockey stick against the a pillar as though fixing it to the pillar and see if the bottom end covers the tape …… doesn’t need to be much .

This is a very fiddly operation but patience is your friend here

Take a look at another approach to installing the bottom windshield chrome strip.

There is always more than 1 way to skin a cat…… but some a better than others!