Interior conversion

Has anyone converted an XJS 2+2 into a standard model with the rear seat storage compartments? The rear seats are essentially useless and I would like to have the lockable storage compartments. Any thoughts or suggestions welcome!!

I essentially want to do the same thing with my coupe, I was thinking either find a scrap convertible with the right storage compartment or if one could find a part number or correct name for the piece maybe eBay

I read that the conversion when done in the other direction is very straight ahead so I would assume if one can obtain the correct parts it’s just a straight swap

Contact me off list. Am parting out a 1988 cabriolet with ‘glove boxes’ and parcel shelf rather than the useless seat. Should have everything you need. 316-seven seven six - 0065Harry Price

Contact me off list. Am parting out a 1988 cabriolet with ‘glove boxes’ and parcel shelf rather than the useless seat. Should have everything you need. 316-seven seven six - 0065Harry Price Harry Price

Would someone please show photos of this arrangement.

Also was there a model produced as a coupe with no rear seats

XJSC, or cabriolet.

Convertible (prior to 1993, all other in the US are 2+2)

Enjoy,
Steve

I essentially want to do the same thing with my coupe, I was thinking
either find a scrap convertible with the right storage compartment or
if one could find a part number or correct name for the piece maybe
eBay

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I read that the conversion when done in the other direction is very
straight ahead so I would assume if one can obtain the correct parts
it’s just a straight swap

Has anyone considered going with NON-correct parts? This seems to me to
be a place where a custom upholstery job is called for.

– Kirbert

The seat delete from a convertible needs a ton of massaging to work in a coupe. I bought one and have decided that the majority of it is unusable . The rear floor in the convertible is built up and the pieces need modified so much it isn’t (in my opinion) worth the effort. I am currently doing deletes in an 88 coupe and 94 coupe. It depends on how much of the original you take out on what to do for the finished delete. In my 94 I am leaving the fiberglass seat receivers and just forming a curved piece of hardboard over it so that a future owner can replace the seats if they so desire. In my 88 I am fabricating a complete new rear seat trim except for the side panels. I use the arm rests as a height guide for the deletes.

1 Like

I was afraid that the coupe parts would not work too well in a convertible. I have an acquaintance in Florida (next state down!) that has (I think) all the parts needed and in the correct color. Over the years he has parted out several of these cars and seems to have a pretty good handle on what works and what doesn’t! Thanks for all the replies!

I also want to extend some thanks for guiding me away from the convertible parts. I think I may follow Kirbert’s advice and start considering custom upholstery

Cabriolet, like in the top photo.
Harry Price

Harry, what time zone are you in. If the price is reasonable I am interested in the rear seat delete from your XJ-SC. I am in the eastern time zone.

Stephen

I am actually doing a rear seat delete on an 89 coupe. I can post photos when done.

Central Std Time (Kansas)
Harry Price

I’ll give you a call over the weekend to discuss the rear seat delete. By
the way, how much do you want for it ?

Stephen

$150 plus shipping. Very nice, blue. Can send photosHarry Price

Send me photos. DO you have all the parts including the side trim panels ?
If so I will take the whole set.

Stephen

Will include side panels at that price. Call me w/ your email address so I can send photos Harry Price

sjniznik@gmail.com
My shipping information is:
Stephen J. Niznik
1210 Cochran Mill Road
Jefferson Hills, PA 15025

Let me know total cost when you send photos.
What is preferred method of payment ?
check, PayPAl, bank transfer like popmoney ?