Is the E-Type hour glass shaped along the sides?

Hi,

I am preparing my FHC for re-spray and am wondering whether the
shape along the sides is correct.

I have had to do extensive bodywork on this car.

Under a coating of filler, every single panel around the car
(except the roof) was dented and full of slide hammer holes.

I have replaced some of the panels and repaired others and
the car is in primer for final preparation.

The reason for the question is that when I run a long
straight edge along the car it is slightly hour- glassed shape in the middle.

At the sills it is straight, but half way up the doors it is
very slightly wider on the front and rear wings.

Looking at the paint reflection on some cars shows a slight
curve over the front of the door and front wing and the rear wings with slight haunches.

I have not changed the position of the A and B posts or the
bulkhead side panels, so I can’t see that it could be wrong.

The line drawing in the service manual suggests that both
sides are laser straight, but are they?

Thanks,

Paul

What is referred to as “Coke bottle shaped” or area rule in aviation design. It’s a more efficient fuselage design for aircraft, because it results in less drag. I doubt it makes a measurable difference at E-type speeds.

I’ve always felt the car was so shaped. Easy enough to tell. Tape a string to the top of the front wheel opening and stretch the string to the top of the rear wheel opening. If there is a gap between the string and the door the car is coke bottle shaped.

Hi John,

Thank you for your help.

The reason I ask the question is that my car had been so badly misshapen and repaired that I cannot be sure if it is now the correct shape.
I have run a string down both sides and as I move towards the top of the doors this coke bottle shape is more apparent.
Quite subtle but it is there.
I have run a line from the B post forward to eliminate the rear wings from the measurement, but there is still a coke bottle shape at the top. only about 1/4" though.
It looks ok, but that might all change when it is in glossy paint.

I just wondered what others had if they ran a straight line down the sides?

Paul

I don’t know how accurate this is, but if there is an hourglass shape it is very slight…

My car has a very straight un-rusted and unmolested body. I have a 60" straightedge, which stretches from the front tip of the rear bumper blade almost to the front edge of the cowl. Using this, it looks like the sides are dead straight to me I would have been surprised to find otherwise, since that would have required complex compound curves, for very little stylistic advantage.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho
S2 FHC

Hi Doug,

Yes I have seen that, but if you look at the reflection down the side of this random selection of photos from XKE Data, you can see the the arched reflection that to me means that there is some shape, although it is straight at the sills?

Paul

Paul,

I don’t know the answer to your question, but have one comment. You say that your car is a FHC but provide no other details. It would help us if you add details in the “my cars” section of your profile, or at least tell us in this thread. I would not assume that all years and all series are the same in this regard. For example, I believe that the rear areas of the FHCs were subject to extensive changes in profile sometime in 1962. Clive Wilkinson has made frequent reference to this in some of his postings, and this is borne out by references in Haddock, Clausager etc. The answer to your question might be YES in some cases, and NO in others.

-David

Sorry David I thought it was in my profile; I will amend it.
My car is a 1965 Series One FHC.

Paul

Paul,

Ron James posted an interesting picture about 6 weeks ago in this thread:

His post was 24 out of what is currently 135 if you want to find it. I am assuming he doesn’t object to me posting the actual image here for your review:

Click on it to see the full image.
Looks to me very much like Doug’s image above.

Craig,

Clearly hour glass shaped. However, that car is clearly a Lightweight, so I wouldn’t make any deductions about the shape of a '65 FHC based on that.

-David

Good point David. I guess I just don’t have the eye for it. One of many reasons I’m not an artist. I don’t see the hour glass shape in this picture or in the “sketch” posted above by Doug. I see two very straight (not quite parallel) lines in the sketch.(?)

The line is nearly dead straight. There should be no dip amidships. No hourglass shape. Even the XK120, which is a deceptively curvaceous design, features mostly long straight lines throughout.

Craig,

Take a straight edge (I just used an old envelope from the junk mail I’ve just been going through), and lay it on your screen along the side of the photo of the Lightweight. Move it so it just touches the side of the car at the front and rear wings, and you’ll see a small gap in the center. It probably only amounts to 1/2" or so full scale. On the Lightweight, it appears that most if not all of the “curve” is aft of the B-pillar, and is probably just due to flares on the rear wheels to accommodate the larger width tyres the Lightweights used.

-David

I get it! We’re talking this hour glass:

Not this!

:wink:

With respect, Craig, Twiggy = hourglass = Jennifer Lawrence = a stovepipe.

Might as well tie the two subjects together!

[quote=“davidxk, post:7, topic:351606, full:true”]
For example, I believe that the rear areas of the FHCs were subject to extensive changes in profile sometime in 1962. Clive Wilkinson has made frequent reference to this in some of his postings, and this is borne out by references in Haddock, Clausager etc. The answer to your question might be YES in some cases, and NO in others. -David [/quote]

David, right, the early Coupes were different at the rear wings instead of being straight down the sides, although this won’t apply to the OP since his car is a later model. On the early cars, there was a definite bulge outwards of the rear wing after the door which can be seen in the photos here of my old '62.

A straightedge would touch all along the sides at mid height from the front of the front wing to the rear of the door, after which, the line would move out. And that straightedge would not be parallel to the car’s center-line but further out at the front.

That is only at mid height. I don’t have my notes here but IIRC, the tops of the sills are parallel to each other and therefore also to the car center-line.

Thanks for your comments guys.
Looks like I have a bit more preparing to do.
I checked today and it is probably only about 1/16" to a 1/4" off. I could probably fill it, but I don’t want to go in that direction.
Paul

The changes are listed in Jaguar spares bulletin P.60 issued in June 1962 and took place at LHD 886014 and RHD 860479.
Bob
Plymouth, Mi.

Not bad, then. Figure out where the sight line needs to be. It will be very close to dead flat, then a way to stabilize the plane. Cut, weld and reweld as needed. This is my current project, fabbing and installing a wing panel on my XK120. Same principle.