Is the XJ the cool, affordable vintage car?

When I retired a few years ago, I was in the enviable position of being able to buy any car I wanted. Take note," any car I want", is not the same as “any car”; I’m not bragging, my wants are modest. Anyway, since I spend much of my time lurking here, that car would likely be a Jag. Much deliberation later, long story short, I ended up with an early S1. No electronics, smooth ride, comfort, good looking, old enough to be quaint but good enough to be used, and incredibly cheap when compared to Mk 2 , S Type or any of the earlier, and arguably less competent models. I have heard of the XJ referred to as the best British car ever. Mine is not quite roadworthy yet, later this week I hope, after a 3+ year refurb, but I have owned several previously and they were all reliable DDs once sorted.

3 Likes

In terms of overall drivability, comfort, and panache, I have never, ever driven a sedan as good as the XJ6!

4 Likes

Especially when compared to its contemporaries. Way ahead of anything else.

3 Likes

Miles… furlongs… Leagues, ahead! I still have never driven any sedan, including modern ones, that ride as beautifully, as supple as an XJ6.

My ultimate test of that is over railroad tracks: no other sedan I’ve ever driven over railroad tracks will go over them as smoothly and without complaint as does a Jag.

4 Likes

The only modern car that I have driven and can compare to the XJ was the VW Phaeton.
But then we are in Bentley territory…

1 Like

I mean it’s a good car and all but I‘m not this enthusiastic about it - it isn’t nearly as fast or as silent or efficient as modern cars. Comfort is good though.

The large tyres do a lot for the ride and are miles better than modern 18“ alloy rims, sure. And the large steering wheel is nice. Winds don’t push it all over the place and it doesn’t rattle. Yep, it’s pretty good. But so are other cars each with their own purposes.

It’s such a usable car even on modern roads and motorways. And now that they’re a rare sight on the roads the styling really stands out. Even non car people appreciate it. A recent trip to take family to a big gathering was made extra special by going in it. Somehow more subtle and less showy than a sports car.

2 Likes

Built like a tank and drive like velvet.

Here’s the thing. It’s not that they’re necessarily superior to other cars on this point or that point. They might be in some aspects. In others, clearly not.

It’s that they have a combination of qualities that, together, give a driving experience you won’t find in other cars. It’s how the car feels, and how you feel while driving it. Some put it down to je ne sais quoi. But after so many years of driving them I’ve narrowed it down: there is a “this car will take care of me” feeling. A sense of well being that comes from having a snug cabin, utterly vice-free driving characteristics, a sensation of security and planted-on-the-ground solidness…

I’m preaching to the choir, no doubt.

Cheers
DD

6 Likes

Yes!!!!

What Dougie sez!

:smile:

1 Like

Incorrigible and Unrepentant Tom Boy that I am, This car makes me feel like a Lady!
Even when I’m driving the wheels off, with Great Enthusiasm and Enormous Panache!
(‘;’)

4 Likes

It’s kind of funny , my Grandad, who was a die hard Rover P4 man, saw his first XJ-6 from my cousins Jaguar Dealership, when they drove it down to to Portsmouth where he lived. It was kind of a mustard yellow colour. Well my Grandad’s world must of changed on that day. He could not stop talking about that new Jag from the moment he laid eyes on it.
That’s a right proper motor he proclaimed.
Now I’m going have to see if I can find a picture of that car, it was immaculate.

1 Like

Aha, I found it, at least most of the car with my mother in the picture way back when.
Don’t ask me what year or colour that car is but if it was in mint condition like in the picture , must be worth a few dollars.

4 Likes

As a Rover fan, and a Jag fan, I gotta say…compared to the engine in the P4…boy howdy!

:grinning:

Colour is Green Sand I believe, Pete Crespin called his S2 the “mustard missile” and was so enamored with the colour that he put a photo of it on the cover of his buyer’s guide to the XJ6. Can’t tell if your example is S1 or S2.

2 Likes

Clearly s2, bumper, wheels. Looks like cloth seats - nice.

Yep. SII. Probably early, as I seem to spot chrome turbo wheels that had been optional for SI cars. For SII cars the Kent alloys were the option over silver steel wheels with hub caps and rimbellishers. Is that an Italian car? - The indicator lenses below the front bumper look white instead of amber…

Very nice car, but, yes, even at the time Jaguar’s various shades of sand, clay and mud were problematic for the less tolerant public expecting a luxury sedan to appear in dark and majestic colors or in opalescent shades. Stories have been told that dealers were repainting brand new cars to treat their customer to a Burgundy car, if the car delivered happened to be Green Sand. My own car oozes the period in Fern Grey (high gloss Rhine Army green), and I like it, but I doubt there are still that many around.

Keep the spirit - and a penchant for the less desirable classic!

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

2 Likes

My S1 was Fern Grey, I liked it, understated, but classy. Top shot is before, lower one after. It was uninsured, but lived to fight another day. Fortunately, in those days I had enough spares that the only cost involved the chassis machine. A few years later it suffered similar damage again in the same area, this time insured, fortunately, prompting the repairer to comment that the car had had more hits than Elvis!

2 Likes

What was it, that DD just recently said?

:+1:t2:

First crash was a comedy of errors. Maiden voyage after replacing the V12 with a 4.2, I took the family on a day trip to Mt Ruapehu. About 2km from home, on a windy gravel road, a vehicle was cutting a blind corner, I locked up the brakes and glided gracefully into the other vehicle, getting wedged in and unable to back out because it was uphill and no traction. A few minutes later, a couple of hunters arrived on the scene in a 4WD; they tied a rope to their vehicle, and put a loop over the towbar of mine. About 5 metres away, the loop slipped off the towbar and the Jag attacked the other vehicle and then headed towards a ravine; the door was jammed closed, so I was leaning through the window to divert the car away from the bank. I had to steer it into a culvert to stop it, which wiped out the left side of the car as well.
My mate thought it was amusing enough to commemorate on my 40th birthday invitation.

The second occassion was more serious. Blinded by sunstrike, my wife turned into the path of an oncoming car on the open highway, causing a headon. Miraculously, no one was injured, but the other car, a small Japanese SUV was a write off. The Jag probably would have been, but I had enough parts to repair the car and sold them to the insurance company for a price that made repairing it viable! I actually turned a profit on that. Plus it was the final accident at a dangerous intersection that forced the construction of a roundabout, which also benefitted me personally because I was to use that very intersection daily for 10 years when I got a job near there a couple of years later.

1 Like

Almost there.

Also , the collection of bits I should never have sold. The Daimler is a Double Six; it lived outside because at the time, it was less valuable than the hay in the hay shed and there wasn’t room for both.
The V12 is out of the XJ, but there was another dismantled, from a genuine Lister, with Forward Engineering stickers on the manifolds, plus a 3.8 and short stud 4.2 block. Oh well, can’t go back now.

2 Likes