Is the XJ the cool, affordable vintage car?

Two young blokes in a Mazda SUV (of some description) pulled up beside me - I was in the bride’s S1 XJ6. They asked “what car is that”, I told them. “Long and low and cool” was the response. Well yes, I think to myself, given your ride looks like a tipped over fridge.

1 Like

Nice. Used the Double Six as a wedding car too.

6 Likes

The best front end ever! A Series 1 Daimler!

Cheers!

My choice is still the S1 XJ12.

2 Likes

Well, it’s s free world. :slight_smile: Right?

A SWB S1 XJ12 is nice. If I could pick just anything I might go for a LHD SWB manual S1 Daimler Sovereign.

But as far as coupes go thet are all S2, except one S1 proto which is RHD, so I am happy with #2J50041DN. YMMV.

Cheers!

This car may have a few people scratching their heads:

Rob

Hi,

Sure, made to look like Series One-and-a-Half-ish.

:smiley:

Cheers!

Looks like the greek cars that are a total mix but it’s a… well. LWB S2 with late s1 doors, rear, s3 grille?

Have done nearly 50,000 km in my Series 3. Never failed to proceed. The most serious let down was a leaking radiator, which I replaced.

I might add it did refuse to start at home recently, but I have now sorted that problem.

1 Like

I did 2000 miles this summer… Behind my Series 3 engine…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

1 Like

Beautiful, Rob. Please tell us in detail what you have done.

1 Like

Hi again,

I bought the black 4 speed car above, from a local engineer who restores boats and cars for fun.

He started with a '78 and used bits from S1/2/3 to make it his own:

S1 one piece rear bumper, Euro front lights and bumper, S3 grill, S3 interior, S3HE engine, V12 E Type 4 speed, deleted side markers, custom dash cluster.

When I visited him, I always told him I loved what he did, so when it became available, he called me.

After 35 years of 6 cylinder XJ’s, this is my first V12. It’s a blast to drive.

Cheers,

Rob

4 Likes

affordable in my case means only the day of purchase. :grinning:

Then I spent an overwhelming amount of money and time, the same amount allowed me something higher.

Of course, I also made many mistakes.
and a story that never ends, still all the interiors and exteriors.

beautiful to drive it even as daily use.

Fred

4 Likes

I find the XJ an immensely practical classic! Last weekend I had no other option to haul a 2 x 1 metre duckboard, but a ski rack on the XJ made the day - certainly the most elegant transportation the duckboard could ever have dreamt of …

Nice, isn’t it? - I should have painted the duckboard though, prior to mounting it …

Best

Jochen

75 XJ6L 4.2 auto (UK spec)

5 Likes

Cars are meant to be used for the purpose they were built for.
So far the E30 is my only car with a trailer hitch.
I used it to take logs to the saw mill. And built my workbench with the wood (I bought it as fire wood, but it was too nice for that).

Or to pick up some ignition coils for the Jaguar (with an engine attached to them):

5 Likes

Ash? Breaks my heart what’s happening to ash trees. Got one in the yard 17 feet in circumference and it’s costing me a fortune to keep it alive.

1 Like

Yes, mostly Ash for the workbench. And some Maple I made a desk top and window sills from.
A lot of Ash trees are dying, it is a fungus that is spreading. Luckily some ash trees seem to be resilient. Time will tell if the ash will survive.

Unfortunately most of the trees are cut up for firewood, especially with fire wood prices soaring. I have been looking for a large log to make a dining table, but they are difficult to find because they get usually cut into small pieces straight away.

Here it’s the Emerald Ash Borer that’s killing them. I’ve cut down dozens of Ash in the back 40 because of it. You’re putting the wood to better use than me. I’ve just been selling firewood.

Can you get any closer to the wall? :grin:

Luckily we don’t have that one. We have a bark Beatle called “Hylesinus fraxini”, the German name is Eschenbastkäfer wich loosely translates to Ash bark beatle. It is no where near as bad though.