Jack stand recall expanded

From an email:

I’m disappointed and embarrassed because we’ve identified a welding defect in a small number of the Pittsburgh 3 ton steel jack stands (SKU 56373) that replaced the recalled jack stands. We’re now adding these jack stands to our recall. Unfortunately, this defect wasn’t discovered during the initial recall investigation.

If you own these jack stands or any of the jack stands in our original recall, whether or not you have had an issue with them, please stop using them immediately and bring them back to your local Harbor Freight Store for a full cash refund or store credit

Hahaha! I just got that email and wanted to post it. Couldn’t find the thread in Pub. Started searching in E-type and I see you beat me to it! Hilarious. For good measure they claim they will accept any jack stands, even those not yet found to be defective, for a full refund.

Refunds on these:

The policy seems pretty fair to me. I’ve got a pair of item number 62392 3 ton jack stands. Probably safe, but I’m really tempted to take them back and get my money back and puy a set of these:

I like the idea of the secondary safety pin.

I got a bunch of those, 6 tonners. Highly recommend them.

they don’t give you your money back. They give you a gift card. The computer will put the “sale price” on the card, don’t let them get away with that, they are supposed to give you the shelf price.

1 Like

See my earlier post. For the item numbers listed they give you the option of a cash refund or a gift card. I opted for the cash refund since I’m buying a set on Amazon. I took mine back this morning. Received $27.24 out of the register.

On the first recall, I went and they would NOT give me a cash refund, only a gift card, which they then put the wrong price on. So I had to demand the current shelf price which they would only put on Another card, so I have two cards to make up the proper amount.

I think that’s correct. The cash option appeared only upon the second recall, announced by the owner in an apologetic email. That was only a few days ago.

Upon the first recall I received a gift card instead of accepting replacement.
I am attempting to not buy made in China products when possible.
Just got a new set of drill bits that I paid twice as much for but they are made in the USA.
Glenn

THAT is worth the money: I bought a cheepie set of bits, once: never again. British or US-made, only, please.

I took 4 of my 6 ton-ers back today, got a gift card for $84 and change. …spent it right away, but I needed lots of sandpaper and junk anyway.

I’ve bought HF sandpaper and found it to be rubbish, YMMV.

1 Like

Mine carries 3M brand paper and Gator 4.5" discs. Same as Lowes. They can keep their drill bits however…

Paul
I am not even talking about the low-end drill bits. Typically, I will buy the higher-end Dewalt brand. These made in the USA were twice the cost of the Dewalt.
Glenn

I may have told this story before. I had a bunch of HF 3 inch abrasive disks (for muffler cutoff tool) plus some USA ones–all intermingled in a drawer. I had long forgotten about when they were purchased or from where. One day, I needed to cut an exhaust pipe on my Series 1 XJ6. The abrasive disk left a scratch, but over several minutes wouldn’t dig in at all. I was perplexed, and decided that the pipe was some sort of super stainless. Somehow, I finally decided to swap disks. The new one cut like butter. To this day I’m amazed that they would sell an abrasive disk that has zero abrasive property.

1 Like

Same for a Tap and Die set, the stuff from overseas is mostly junk, at least the cheap stuff.
Cheers,
LLynn

Amen to that. I bought a cheap set maybe 35 years ago. Got what I paid for.

However, the plastic blow formed case has held up well and is perfect for holding the individual quality taps and ides I’ve bought over the years as I needed them.

1 Like

I’ve not looked for sand paper there for several years, so I’ve no idea if all or just some of the stores carry the good stuff as well as the not so good.

I’ve bought their drill bits when they are stupidly low priced on sale. I just consider them a disposable item. I’ve bought worse, and better, at traditional hardware stores.

I ordinarily use top-quality high speed steel (HSS) twist drill bits, USA-made. But I do keep a set or two of HF bits, because they are quite useful when access is limited to the proposed hole location.

The high carbon content of HSS bits allows them to hold a sharp edge, particularly when they get hot. But the bits are quite brittle, and break before they bend. In contrast, the HF low-carbon bits dull quickly, but they are not brittle. Their ductility permits formation of curves or s-shapes, allowing me to shape the bit to clear an obstruction that precludes straight-line access. You can rebend a bit after use, too, so that it can be used again to access another obstructed drilling site.

I always bought my grinder discs, cut-off wheels, and Multi Master supplies,sandpaper, sanding pads, and blades. All would last 2/3rd as long for 1/3rd of the price. I also bought the drill bits as disposable. They should be avoided. I broke one off drilling aluminium and ran the remainder through my thumb, the rest of the set went in the trash. Now I am retired and don’t buy much of any thing. The shut-down is saving me a lot of money.