Jaguar XJS, driving problem, transmission

…and changing the engine oil, you’ll need 10 quarts! Yes. Ten. One day I may switch to synthetic, but in the mean time I’m changing with cheap Dino Oil every 1000 miles just to get this old engine clean.

1 Like

What makes you think you’re getting it clean? Sounds like you’re making it dirtier!

1 Like

What?! How can changing your oil more frequently make it dirtier?!

Simple: it dosent.

“Dino” oils get a bad rap: regularly changed (and with a modicum of semi-hard use), they do not cause sludge or varnish. Many tens of millions of engines, having run on it for decades, and the vast majority did/do just fine.

I’ve run two Hyundai’s, similar miles, one on dino and one on fake: pulled the valve cover of both and the fake oil showed a bit less varnish, but neither had enough to worry about.

1000 to 2000 miles, a couple of times, with filter changes, and it ain’t gonna get much cleaner.

#LetsOverThinkOil!!

1 Like

Fully synthetic oil is great for modern engines and manufacturers that want to push service intervals to the limit. If you are willing to change the oil every 2000 miles then full synthetic is doing your wallet more harm than any damage you might be inflicting on your engine by sticking to regular oil.

For older engines (both design and mileage) synthetic oil is a mixed blessing. I tried Mobil 1 in my XJR-S for a while when I was driving it a lot, but it was too thin and it was burning/leaking way too much. For my low mileage cars I use a good quality semi-synthetic 15W/40 for the SAAB and Jag, and a classic 20W/50 for the Alfa. For my high milage Subaru I use Synthetic Mobil 3000 5W/20. There is no single answer, you need to pick an oil that is appropriate for the engine, your mileage, wallet and climate (to get the correct weight).

My experienced engines will continue to thrive on dino oil
Mild climate here, so 20-50 is it. yeah, "thinner’ oil recommended by the maker of the two, but, I’m “touchy” on too thin…

In the unlikely event that I get a brand new car or rebuild the engine in one of my present oes, I would consider synthetic.

YAHOO The Jaguar got past the dreaded SMOG test…
Not without travail. sniffed very clean,. got past the dumb “snap throttle” test. ugh, cat Id an issue. Resolved…

CA has gone nuttier than I thought???

And fun driving it. Running great. That V8 sound and “punch”

It was admired, and a guy inquired as if I would sell it. No sir, too much blood sweat and tears,+ money…

Huge credit to the added ground strap from
wing wall ground to engine!!!
Carl