Jaguar XKE hard top auction

auction t

Hi jag lovers the hard-top auction on Bring a Trailer is now at $10,600 and counting…

1 Like

Over $25,000.00 now!

1 Like

This is unbelievable, the auction ended with a hammer price of $26,250 holy Camoli, I can see it but I don’t believe it WOW!!! :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: I’ll keep mine cheers… :wine_glass: :wine_glass: :wine_glass:

The price sold does make sense, the Mercedes 190 roadster hard tops are being sold between $25k-$30k and our series #1 and #2 roadsters are on par with that pedegree, I now do understand the logic of this being our new norm :relieved:
No Reserve: Jaguar XKE Series 1 Removable Hardtop

No Reserve: Jaguar XKE Series 1 Removable Hardtop

Sold for $26,250 on 9/24/21

I’m sorry: that is insane.

2 Likes

Insane yet how many factory hardtops are out there?
I know from experience that an S1 roadster with its soft top up and windows closed is getting noisy with wind buffeting at 65mph plus.
The hardtop with it’s completely upholstered headliner, in place with the windows up, is silent and you hit 90 and don’t even know it!

1 Like

Lots. They’re not rare. This auction result is nuts.

2 Likes

Hello Paul, sorry but I do not share your opinion. like everything else prices escalate from gas at the pump, real estate, food at the super market to the cars we drive. I’ve not heard of anyone complaining about the price of a Roller, vintage or present day Bugatti, or Ferrari which sells for millions.

At an auction a year ago, a Ferrari was sold for over $25 million and I’m sure they might be other auctions that may have sold cars for more, so why should the cars we love be the tail end . Our cars are not worth millions, but remember the man who believes the E type that we love and appreciate is the prettiest car he has ever seen is worth far less, so what’s the issue with the hard top that’s worth a few thousand dollars?

The prince drove his wife Magan from his wedding in an e type, he didn’t drive a Bugatti Mercedes or a Roller. I’m happy I have the car, not to mention the factory hard top which the price has hit a sore note. Have a great weekend cheers!

1 Like

I could fabricate one for less than that.

2 Likes

Since it’s never happened before it’s clearly an outlier. The closest one I’ve seen was a pristine restored one, including a well done headliner and fresh paint, and it sold for 10k. This was just a decent one with interior stains, paint mars and decent original chrome. This was just two crazy people with too much money who both refused to be outspent.

3 Likes

Sounds great Wiggles, sign me up but remember they are original once…

2 Likes

Occam wins. Again.

By a razor.

:grimacing:

3 Likes

And all 3 “to’s” in one sentence.

6 Likes

Are you thinking the same thing I am, Erica?

as in … “To /insert losing bidder here/, in case you’re tuning in to the Jag_Lovers E-type forum (you should be). Hey. I like you. I wuz really rooting for you at the end there and I’m so sorry you got outbid at $26,000 for that pretty nice looking hardtop… but, hey. Maybe we can strike a deal. I might be willing to part with mine … for you? … only 25 grand.”

But yours is red and mine is BRG. Maybe would have to reshoot them in black.

Tongue in cheek. I don’t get it.

Nuts.

5 Likes

Who said English was difficult.

2 Likes

It crossed my mind for 5 seconds but they don’t permit direct email contact between bidders or solicitation in visible chat comments.

1 Like

Surely not me, I’m not a homophonophobe

4 Likes

Enjoy…:crazy_face:

Wiggles I’ll agree and if that’s the case so let it be, it was great entertainment while it lasted :laughing: :laughing:

1 Like

This is the genius of the auction model, particularly the public auction in front of a large audience such as BaT. When it gets down to two bidders there has to be a winner and a loser. And some folks simply cannot bear to be a loser, particularly in a public setting in front of an audience. The perceived loss of face drives them higher. I bet if you offered the $26,000 underbidder an identical hardtop now, he wouldn’t buy it for half that figure.

4 Likes