Jaguar XKE hard top auction

I aint never had the kind of resources that would allow me such a silly dick-wavin’ contest.

Maybe worth noting that the “winning” bidder (Malamut Auto Museum), probably wasn’t bidding with his own money either…

2 Likes

May be I should consider selling the two Hardtop Rear Chromes I recently picked up… at this rate, I’ll never be able to afford a hard top but should make a profit from the rear chromes!

What’s been said to date are true, but how do we explain a mid fifties Mercedes 190 SL hard top being sold on e bay for $25k and there were quite a few bidders. I must reiterate the e types are certainly not the stinky side of a horses A$$ but could be compared to a SL Mercedes. I think it’s time we not just revise our thinking of the value of these cars but the value of the accessories as well. Yes it’s fiberglass which is cheap, but so are Corvettes that are getting very high numbers ($2-$3) million. That being said I could see $12-15k for the great looking hard top. My two cents and have a great day… :blush: :pray:

1 Like

190 total production numbers were in the range of S1/2 roadsters but I have no idea of the number of hardtops sold with them. They may be rarer. Were high quality reproduction tops ever made and if so at what cost? Very close to spec reproduction tops have been available for Es for some years now in the 6k range. That will have the effect of suppressing prices because people who just want them for the functionality will go that route rather than paying for originality, and avoiding the need for restoration in the process.

I’m feeling much better about paying $3500 for a very nice complete original hard top just over a year ago! (Thanks yet again Erica!)
New paint and re-chromed bits and I’m all in at $4700 for a near-perfect body color top.

4 Likes

I have a hardtop for my 69E. It came with the car. I’m thinking very hard about sell it. I will never use it. It has all the chrome and the head liner is very nice with a couple small spots. It does need all new rubbers, and the chrome redone and painted.

2 Likes

Along the same lines I wonder what is the value of an aftermarket 120/140 fiberglass top. They were always thin on the ground. Certainly the aftermarket aspect will dominate the value but for those of us who used to use our XKs such a top was always in demand. I can’t remember when I last saw one offered.

I had watched this auction as well… I assumed it would go up to $10,000. With that said I am glad to see the result (I have a hardtop). Are they worth $25K? Maybe (I had a 190 hardtop that I sold in the past too). I wont be selling this one.

The thing that makes the top valuable is (it seems) that everyone likes the looks of the hardtop on the OTS. It always draws complements, and seems to stir a good emotion. Maybe it is the racing cars that use them? Maybe it is the quality of the top? Whatever it is does not matter. What matters is that everyone likes the look. That brings the boys to the yard as they say.

I had told one of the bidders that prices were up-up-up at the $7000 bid. This certainly proves it.

1 Like

I only go out with the hood down. Call me the outlier, but I’ve never liked the look of the hard top and always felt it was a space waster. Where do you keep it, and when would you use it? Consider that any trip is an out-and-back, so if you go on a multiple day jaunt, you don’t have the option to go topless. Thus, you’d probably leave it home, neglected.

3 Likes

Already done in Uk Paul available complete for about $5 k if I remember rightly

My point, precisely… and maybe better quality.

Spot on Michael, I hope others will also see the light and not dare to think that these people are beyond lunacy, but having no remarks for the prices of these cars surpassing $300K. I will not be surprised in a few years the average price of these cars will be $200k-$250k and concourse examples between $500-$750k+. It may seem a bit ridiculous but so was flying to the moon when aviation was just a pipe dream. I know a little about forecasting and these numbers may play well into the future surprising the unexpected. My two cents mate, cheer :wine_glass:

2 Likes

Here you go

1 Like

They could sell those for 10 grand…:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I agree and alway said that the OTS looks better with the hard top plus its a much more relaxed driving experience like a coupe.

2 Likes

Let’s revisit this in ‘a few years.’ Put me down as ‘not likely.’

You mean 20 to 25,000…
This auction is like the OLD Moody blues song…
You decide what’s real and what’s an illusion…que the music.
gtjoey1314
Virgins watching a whorehouse in action.
And Im the only Capitalist on this forum :slight_smile:

Hard tops may be the canaries in the coal mine.
Where is the ceiling on asset values when the money supply doubles? Have you bought a steak lately?

1 Like

Wiggles an early flat floor welded louver outside latch car back in 1961 was under $6k from a Jaguar dealership. The price of the came that needs full restoration was sold a years ago on ebay for $135k. while the retored value based on Hagerty’s report is :
HAGERTY VALUATION

CURRENT & HISTORICAL VALUES

View current vehicle values and see how they’ve changed over time in a 3-year, 5-year and to-date intervals. Compare these values to other vehicles and benchmark financial indices.

Current Values

• #1 Concours$375,000

Condition #1 vehicles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best vehicle, in the right colors, driving onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the vehicle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are correct and superbly fitted. The one word description for #1 vehicles is “concours.”

• #2 Excellent$279,000

• #3 Good$177,000

• #4 Fair$114,000