Jerry Mouton, RIP

What a wonderful tribute from the Jag-Lovers community to Jerry. He would have loved the procession and, of course, would have enjoyed visiting with all the JL folks there. I visited with Ray and some of the drivers that I knew and would have enjoyed meeting the others. Jerry was so very lucky to have so many good Jaguar friends in the area. I know there were other friends that wanted to attend, but were unable.

As I was listening to friends and family talk about Jerry’s “enthusiastic” driving style, as Ray very aptly describes it, I was reminded of the first time I rode with him. I had purchased a Primrose 1969 E-Type FHC and cleaned and rebuilt the entire front suspension with new bushings, etc. Jerry was at his home on Lake Travis here and Erica Moss and I went out to say hi. I took my car which neither had seen and Jerry and Erica took it for a drive. When they returned Erica said that I needed to ride with Jerry while he drove and suggested I remove the small floor jack in the back behind the passenger seat. This seemed curious, but I did as suggested and off we went down Bee Creek road which is a winding 30 mph country road. Jerry gets the car up to around 60 right off the bat and slides through a few corners with the cedar trees seeming to come perilously close to the sides of the car. “Feels like an E-Type” he says as he punches the accelerator and rockets off through another turn. I don’t know if we reached 80, but as we slid through turn after turn and I became more and more surprised that we were managing to stay out of the cedars I kept thinking: “I rebuilt this front suspension and Jerry knows it. He sure has more faith in it than I do.” When we returned to Jerry’s house Erica had a sly grin on her face and I was thankful for the advice to remove the jack although Jerry had avoided sliding off the road into a tree.

I am sorry I did not get to talk to more of the JL and Jaguar folks there for the services. I got to visit with John Carey, Lloyd, Mark Stephenson, Milton, Les, but missed seeing Phil (what a beautiful Mark X), Dave Ferguson, Jeff, Bill Blythe, Clive, Mike, Andrew and George. I especially wanted to say hi to Bill McKenna who had done much work helping Hanneh, but unfortunately missed him.

Jerry loved his Jaguar friends and living in Palo Alto. I was disappointed when he sold his home on Lake Travis and moved full-time to California, but Jerry still came to visit a couple of times a year and he and Erica and I would go out to lunch and talk E-Types. Of course, Austin can’t hold a candle to the Bay Area as far as the wonderful weather goes. And all the great Jaguar enthusiasts there and the car shows make for a wonderful environment. For a car guy like Jerry he was already in heaven.

–Drew

2 Likes

Ha, thanks for reminding me of that one Drew. That was classic Jerry. I have a bunch of scratches on my muffler from where Jerry bottomed it out rocketing through the dips on Old Spicewood Rd. I’ll think of him fondly every time I see them. As we drifted through the switchbacks he kept saying, “you know it’s a car right? Cars are meant to be driven” He certainly lived by those words. How many of us would don a helmet and enter an auto cross in one of these? Special guy, for sure.

2 Likes

Well - I hadn’t realized that it had been some time since I was on the forum, just because life had been busier than normal. But then - just tonite - I see the VERY sad news about Jerry…

We were all fortunate to have Jerry in our midst here on the forum. His knowledge of E-types was vast, but no larger than his apparent grace when dealing with everyone! While we never met face to face, Jerry was instrumental in helping me acquire some parts that were near him, and it seemed that he was just like that - very selfless and always willing to assist.

My condolences to ALL of his friends here on the forum and his family as well.

God Speed Jerry.

1 Like

Ron,
You comments follow what most had to say about him. We will be meeting at a local car/wine venue on the 28th of this month here in the SF Bay Area to remember and celebrate our fallen fellow Jag-Lover. He is missed.

2 Likes

John - I truly wish I could have met Jerry. The photo you posted with the parade tribute as fantastic as well.

It really tells us that time is fleeting, and that we should make the most of it.

Last and not least - my condolences to you as well - I know you spent a fair amount of time with Jerry and when I see the videos of Betty with Jerry pitching in - well I wish I could have been there.

Hope you are well John.

Well done Guys,
Wish I was there. Here is my tribute to Jerry.

Regards
Chris
Cape Town

1 Like

Wish I could be there, John. Jerry, of course, loved his friends and loved these get-togethers. He would keep @L.Lynn and me updated about the visits afterwards. What a great group of Jaguar friends you all have out there in the Bay Area.

–Drew

Thanks Ron, I watched the engine install video just today - it was bittersweet.

I haven’t logged on here in years, so to log on to THIS is pretty sombering.

Jerry was always very helpful, and supportive when I had my E-type. I’m hoping to get another one in the coming months, and his input will be greatly missed.

The great thing is that Jerry will live on through his encyclopedic contributions to this site. As long as JL (or its database) is online, Jerry will continue to contribute.

2 Likes

My thoughts exactly…

I visited Jerry’s web site earlier today for a quick check on how some interior pieces go together. Another tremendous contribution to the E-type community.

http://moutons.org/Jaguar/Photos/Details/

I can’t believe he’s no longer behind the wheel of his E. I only got a few opportunities to talk with Jerry but each time he was full of joy and wanted to share his passion for E-types. And I hadn’t seen his supportive notes about my photos until now and wish I could thank him for being so kind. What a wonderful example of how one person can make everyone else’s experience positive, fun and educational. Godspeed, good sir.

4 Likes

Does anyone know what happened to his E-type? Was it sold?

I believe his son has it.

As of a couple months ago, no. It will be sold at some point, but there are other more urgent things to be dealt with.

Regards,
Ray L.

Got a ping on my phone last Friday evening, Jerry Mouton has just joined FB messenger, give him wave and say hello!
Very surprised to say the least but this isn’t the first time I’ve had stuff from FB from friends who have died, none of them from messenger tho.
I should contact FB and let them know but don’t really know how?

Dave

Yeah, same here. My ex boss is still on there, dead for 5 years or so. Don’t think there is a plan on how to remove someone if a family member doesn’t think about it and even if they do if they don’t have the ID and password it will live on forever. Disgusting really. You could contact FB but I doubt they will change info unless they are given proof just like if someone tried to remove us (tho we’re not dead yet :slight_smile: they’re not going to let a 3rd party remove us. There must be a way but I can’t think of a clear path.

p

If Jerry was going to post anywhere from the other side, I think it would be here. I love that I keep seeing him pop up in resurrected threads.

5 Likes

Like so. I hope the link works.

https://m.facebook.com/help/contact/228813257197480

David