LED bulbs - flasher issue

While waiting on some gaskets to finalize the cooling system refresh, I decided to replace the brake and turn signal bulbs with LED’s that I purchased from SuperBrightLED’s. I thought I had read past threads on the topic properly and had prepared by buying the CEC EF-33RL LED Flasher unit to replace the stock relay.

Before I installed the bulbs, I gave the stock system a quick test and everything worked as expected. I then replaced all the turn signal and brake bulbs front and rear, installed the CEC flasher relay and no turn signals. Now I still have incandescent bulbs in the dash turn indicators, but everything I had read seemed to indicate that was acceptable.

I then tried the CEC unit in the hazard relay socket and no hazard lights either. Did I get the wrong CEC relay? Is there a better solution? I prefer to hear the audible click of the turn signals if that is possible.

Bob,

I just did this in my 1963 OTS (no hazards in case this is significant), and everything works fine. You did connect the separate ground wire on the CEC EF-33RL LED flasher to the chassis, didn’t you? It won’t do anything without that.

-David

Until I saw that it worked, I used a jumper cable to ground it to the steering column. But no go.

The flasher unit I have been using for years with LED bulbs is a Tridon EL13. Originally I purchased at PepBoys but I now see it is available on Amazon for $10.00. Solid-state unit with a nice loud click that I can hear.
Glenn

I must be blind, I can’t find it.

I do not know how to add a link. I just changed my search engine to DuckDuck Go and it pops at several places.
Glenn

https://www.amazon.com/Tridon-Stant-EL13-Flasher/dp/B01MYX9XFQ

Alternate sourcing:

https://autoplicity.com/3204023-tridon-flasher?utm_source=google&utm_medium=surfaces&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAl4WABhAJEiwATUnEFyPMxLdSWv6mbPGR_UY4H2QYbVlU-vMz8PhZIbsGW771x7lUYDO7HBoCZLYQAvD_BwE

I see Rock Auto and Advance Auto Parts have them as well. I’m assuming an EL-13 flasher is the same regardless of the manufacturer.

Ignore the Down for Maintenance warning. The link works

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/novita-3-terminal-12-volt-heavy-duty-hazard-warning-and-turn-signal-flasher-el13mc1/12067705-p?c3ch=PLA&c3nid=12067705-P&adtype=pla&product_channel=online&store_code=&gclid=CjwKCAiAl4WABhAJEiwATUnEF1uczV7JuZzU7Rkz4dMNqVfTomvjhQtiquahfrGO8GQNBbVFg9t49xoCdSsQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

After further fussing, I can get the CEC relay to work with the hazards (when grounded) but it is still a no go for the turn signals. I’m going to run to Advance Auto Parts and try to get the one you indicated.

Bob Faster (@bfast) did a fantastic job testing flasher units suitable for LEDs in our E-Types in this thread: LED Flasher comparison
Unfortunately, it just seems that there are a lot of variables to this issue, and it is still a bit hit and miss. Since the flasher units need to sense the load from the indicator lamps to operate, it seems that you need to pick a unit that matches the precise LEDs you are using. Based on Bob Kirk’s experience, I am now concerned that though the CEC flasher unit is currently working with my Superbright 28 LEDs, it may not continue to do so reliably. I may have to pack the original flasher unit and incandescent bulbs in my road trip spares, which I’d hoped to avoid…

It seems even more confusing that that. I just purchased the Novita EL-13 flasher relay and the results are that when the ignition is on and the turn signals activated, I get a dim constant on of the front and rear turn signal LED’s. They are clearly not fully lit and are dim, but there is no flashing whatsoever. I can change from right to left and that side dimly lights, but not one bit of flashing.

All my lights are LEDs except for the rear lights. I have found that the LEDs for the rear are not as bright as the standard bulbs. Maybe the standard bulbs add more resistance and that is why the Tridon is working for me. May put in LEDs I have and see if there are any problems.
Glenn

Flashers again. I researched a bunch of flasher a while ago including Novita/Tridon. The likely issue is that the Novita/Tridon EL13 is not specifically designed for LED operation, although many vendors advertise it as such. The manufacturer http://novitatech.com/?q=aftermarket/products/electro-mechanical-flashers/el13 only indicates that it is rather load insensitive; that’s not PRECISELY the same thing. The amount of load it takes to get it to start flashing reliably is not well defined. A simple test is to go back to at lease one incandescent bulb with the EL13 and see if that works. If that works (fairly certain), the simple solution is either get bigger LED bulbs or an LED specific flasher.

Ron

Just replaced rear standard bulbs with LEDs and the flasher does not work. My guess that the two standard bulbs add just enough resistance so the Tridon works.
Glenn

I really encourage everyone to read the thread initiated by Bob Faster @bfast that I linked to above. He clearly indicated that the EL-13 does not work with LEDs at all 4 corners.

1 Like

Bingo! Eureka! I too just put my incandescent bulbs back in the front turn signal sockets and the flashers work with the E13. Obviously, I now need to find a relay that is specific to LED bulbs in order to run LED’s in all four corners. Off to re-read Bob Faster’s thread again!

When I went to LED bulbs I replaced the rears first and the turn signals worked just fine. The load of the conventional bulbs on the fronts was enough to make the flasher work normally. When I replaced fronts, the flashers stopped. I tried different flashers without success and then decided to add a pair of artificial loads to the fronts. That kind of negates the power savings from switching th LED bulbs, but it’s just the front turn signal bulbs which only see intermittent use. I made the switch for the increase in brightness; amp savings were secondary.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sylvania-Automotive-LED-Load-Resistor-and-Equalizer-Pack-of-2/52621707?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1182

Installation was simple.

1 Like

Just use hand signals. :grin:

I will interate once more. I used Bob’s final flasher from the UK for the turns and hazards and they all work fine. And no ground needed.

But no sound of flashing either. I have another relay on the way (Amazon) and should have it tomorrow. It promises to deal with the mixed environment of LED and incandescent and has a flasher sound…we will see… If this doesn’t work, then I will be purchasing the silent UK version.

You’re telling me you can actually hear a flasher?! Your ears are better than mine! :grin: