Lets build a 1967 e type together

David. Thanks for the info.

Well it won’t help. But if you have the OE (41207) distributor, changing the advance curve to S-1 will make you think you’re hitched to a rocket. Even with a 3.07.

2 Likes

Guys I need everyone’s input
Look at the picture
The car had the old wonderful Michelin XVS 185 hr15 the height and stance and feel were great but to my knowledge they are discontinued
Next the vreds 185 /15 /70 a noticeable smaller tire
They drive great but feel a bit dinky on turns
I’ve had 205 70 15 for decades but I forgot on my green coupe was it on 5 51/2 or 6 inch wheels
I just drove the yellow car 150 miles today with the car half in pieces
What a great ride I just need REAL help on great tires
My cintiratos are great on the convert for the looks but a little too dinky for ny traffic
Ideas?

SorryimageI don’t know why the picture is sideways but the bred is a lot smaller
Nice ride but ehhh

Your car will not struggle
My God it pulls like a train there is so much torque
The 354 is terrible by today’s standards imho

I think it’s a personal choice: either size should provide adequate roadholding.

I prefer the wheel wells “filled out:” largely why I used center-laced wheels, with 205s.

1 Like

I think your 185/70R15 may be about an inch and a half smaller diameter than a 185-15.

I like the Vreds but have always used the 185-15 size.

2 Likes

69 Coupe

Do you have some close-ups of the tires and wheels? Not sure how center laced differs from “normal” wire wheels. I also like the Wheel wells filled up! The 185 tires always make me feel like the tires are too small for the body??

Mark

To my eye the 185s look just right for those wheels wells…

And as I’ve noted before, I like my tires to look like a super model (tall & skinny):

by comparison for your review. here are the Vreds in 185/70-15.
oddly , on the twin car to Geo’s

for what its worth… I agree with Geo, my tires are too small. Jerry Mouton told me they would be and I didnt believe him. rookie mistake

1 Like

geo just so I understand they make a vred 185/15 without the 70? so its like the michelin?

Wiggles to this day those lace wheels look wicked.

1 Like

69 Coupe

Leo, here is what I mean. This is a pic of my 69 in 1974, taken n Missouri Valley Iowa. I concede it is sitting too low at that time (shortly after I bought it), but the front wheels seem to be set too far inward? Just my opinion. But no matter what opinion, it is still a beautiful car and I am so glad I started re-doing it before it was lost to time!!!

As a side note, this was taken on my honeymoon. Traveling thru Kansas, we hit a storm that contained lightening a California boy had never seen. It stormed all night and I drove thru Kansas with my arm thru the center dash area, manually rotating the wipers back and forth for 4 hours. Both pics were the very next day, the one with me taking out the wiper motor to work on the it!!

Mark

If the tyre size has no leading “P” character, it conforms to the Euro-metric size specification. The Vredestein Sprint Classic tyres conform to this standard. A tyre size 185HR15 is what you want for the E where 185 indicates the tyre tread width in mm, H is the speed rating, and 15 is the rim diameter in inches. In the Euro-Metric standard, the absence of an aspect ratio in the specification means that it is AT LEAST 82%. The 185/70R15s that you show have an aspect ratio of 70%, which means they are about an inch too small in diameter. I understand that Vredestein now also make a 185VR15 (ie V speed rating) for those so inclined…

There we go…so the 185 hr15 would be a inch and a half larger or like the Michelin in the pictures…
Compare that to the 205/70/15…but all could still be mounted on the 5 inch wheels.
Hmmmmm the 205 were great but maybe I need a little more traditional look. Has anyone seen or put on the pirelli p4?

Since you were just married couldn’t you have talked your new bride into that chore? :innocent: :smiling_imp:

When my sister divorced she was struggling financially; had an old VW. When the wipers died she tied shoe laces to the wiper arms and looped the ends through the front windows. When it rained her daughters fought each other for the right to work the shoelaces. :rofl:

Perhaps not.

The last set I bought (from JEGS) was almost 3 years ago -

|Upgraded to Ship Direct from Vendor|
|Qty|Item|
|1|257-579878|185HR15 VREDESTEIN SPRINT|

But looking now I do not see them on any of the usual sites (JEGS, Summit, Coker). Uh oh.

This happened once before - I think because they make a bunch of an uncommon size then cease production until those are exhausted. Hopefully these will again become available.

Coker does offer these in that size:

A buddy of mine just took the 10 year old Vreds off his Mk2…after the car spent the last 4 years in storage, he said the tires were “as hard as charcoal“.

I know 10 years is (generally) considered too long to operate a tire these days, but a good quality tire shouldn’t be rock hard after that amount of time.

I had generally heard good things about those tires, but that put them in something of a new light for me.

Tirerack still has them in stock:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?zip-code=93924&width=185/&ratio=0&diameter=15&rearWidth=255/&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17

Put these on a couple months ago. Front tire sits 26” tall right now.