Lets build a 1967 e type together

I’m pleased with the 185VR15 Vredestein. JS

1 Like

Well, it might be too low brow for you Joey, but I put the General Altimax RT43 on my 6" Daytons and think the car looks, drives and rides great. Steering is easy, car smooth as silk at any speed. Looks are subjective, I like the more “manly” look of the bigger tires, but I also appreciate the “vintage” look of the original size.

I was so impressed with the Altimax that I put them on my 250 SL being discussed in another thread in a 205/70-14, a step up from the Vred 185 HR 14 that were on it. Again, very happy.

FWIW, I’ve had Vred Sprint Classic on 3 of my cars. I’m done with them. Nice vintage look, but I think they get hard quickly and don’t soak up the pavement.

Can’t advise on the Altimax at extreme driving and cornering. I don’t drive the car that way.

2 Likes

Joey

I have used XVS VR15 tyres on my OTS for 15 years and they are superb. We have done a lot of high speed touring on Europe’s back roads including many Alpine passes and I chicken out before the tyres do! Those tyres are still in production as they are standard equipment of Formula France race cars so road holding is unequalled IMHO. The downsides are that with ‘enthusiastic’ driving (when my wife allows) the rears only last about 8,000 miles as the very sticky rubber encourages rapid cornering. I have Dunlop Sports on my FHC and I would never dare drive that the way I drive the OTS - no confidence in the rubber.

David

Thanks for the reminder of the Generals: they do indeed make a 14", so may give them a try on the Rover.

Yes, they make a 185/70, 195/70, and 205/70, all in 14” size.

I just put some 195/70/14 on my ‘66 MGB.

That’s the size Im thinking of, for the Rover.

I’ve got them on our Mazda 6. I’m quite pleased with them.

i think whitewalls would look great with primrose.

Thanks guys…John I had Generals on my kids 65 mustang because the car was 4 lug , 6 cylinder…
They were tough as nails as he learned everything on that car…They look great on your car.
Jeff maybe its me but your car looks like the cats meow as well baby!
Well I see you have the new v rated as are mine on the mark 2.
Im going to post pics in a minute, I changed the break in oil already and filter.
I have 3 or 4 more tweeks then the pans all go back…it 93 degrees and an etype never gets old!
Honking. waving, Im like why at they waving me down…OHHHHH.
I CANNOT TELL YOU the pleasure of the serpentine belt set up , no squeals , no slip or screech.
Along with the 1 2 3 distributor, it doesnt skip a beat.
Need a dot more in brake bleeding, the ZEUS front bolt in calipers are WONDERFUL, You go through the window.
Will report.
gtjoey1314

Gonna let me drive it? :grimacing:

Of course

So one thing we discussed
Dan swears by 10/30 oil on his rebuilds
I never understood it
Well I did hours and say 150 miles or so
I switched to my true 20/50 vr1 with zinc and look at my gage ahhhhhhh
It was dropping at idle below 40
Now it 45 base and tickles 55 once raved
I like that better
Gtjoey1314
Notice the smootz in the filter
I went to hastings filter as well

Absolutely nothing to worry about: if an engine has 5 psi, at idle, it’s perfectly safe.

Next I made my own breather pipe
The metal original was terrible
It blocks the distributor and hangs over the frame
I took heater hose all rubber and goodbye and good luck!
Gtjoey

As most engine builders would tell you, high oil pressure does nothing for you.

All it does is put extra stress on the oil pump drive gear teeth.

30-40 psi at idle is WAY more than enough.

I understand that but in my head and 100 degrees I still like 20/50
I don’t here chains , a box of snakes
Again in my head😀

1 Like

So long as yer honest: 5psi, at idle, was all Tweety needed and no chain/rattlely noises, at all.

That said, I use 30-50 in the summer, in my DD, and 0-20 in the winter.

I guess that in 6 months or so you’ll find out why Jaguar didn’t use heater hose for the breather pipe…

3 Likes

I’m completely down for using oil-resistant hose.

Was gunna comment, but… I’m too nice.

:joy:

Let’s see I won’t have blow by for about 85,999 miles😀

I believe Porsche dropped the oil pressure on one of their race cars and picked up a few HP