License plate help

hello i have taken my 1954 xk120 to france and finally got my collectors car carte grise . i am ordering the old style plates [Plaque d'immatriculation Maillefaud sur mesure fond noir] and need some help with a good measure of the front plate rear bumper area as my car has no plates and i am currently in california. Any help on standard GB or anyone who has french plates please let me know .many

D8143AC9-273E-48CF-8EB1-0F84BFCF0E1E

thanks

Paul
Send me a personal message in Fench as I don’t quite understand what you want.
But I have an XK120 also and I can measure the license plate areas that you need.
I am in Florida
A+
Bernard

Paul,

Pour l’Angleterre et l’Europe, Jaguar offrait la solution C.3226 (en noir), approprié pour presque tous les pays Européen. Voici cette solution sur ma voiture avec une plaque Néerlandaise.
L’arrière, il n’existe pas une solution pareille et on utilise simplement deux écrous, mais ça dépend aussi du format de la plaque.

I hope my French is still OK.

Bob K.

Bob:

Is that a mounting screw I see missing of the RH side of your boot handle? And the top RH captured nut on your license plate plinth is not positioned the same as the others! Now come on, Bob, we expect better of you than this! (Ha!) All kidding aside, your car looks exquisite, congratulations.

Chris.

Chris,

You need new glasses, as there definitely is a screw in the RH hole: it’s just the reflection that creates the impression of a CSK hole…

J’ai oublié il y a des Canadiens qui parle Français aussi…

Thanks for the complements, but don’t look too close as you might find more imperfections.
wink

Bob, that rear numberplate would look so much nicer on a UK-spec mounting panel!

une espèce de français au moins. :sunglasses:

thankyou bob is your plate 520 x 110 cm , the standard size they offer . the company will make a bigger one to cover the holes on the rear . what size would it take to clear the holes correcty on the back . ps love the plate as those are my initails! hers one i have seen with a bigger plate …to me it looks too big though.[

](https://)

my car currently has a german show plate …

I would use the standard Jaguar mounting plate without the US-plate mounting holes. That way the size and shape of plate the car was designed to have originally will fit with no extra holes showing.

thanks Roger ,where would i purchase this or do i already have it see pic , sorry im in usa and my car is in france so not easy to run out to the garage !

Add ima

ges

Paul

I think your solution with the German plate is very nice
Don’t know whether you have the US holder, but the holes might be covered by the German numberplate.

What format do the French plates have nowadays? I know the whole French numberplate system changed several years ago, but don’t know whether France has special plates for classic cars (like we have in the Netherlands for cars over 40 years).

Bob K.

Paul, that looks fine to me - as long as your plate covers where the holes would be, it doesn’t matter which you have! And I think Bob’s use of the US plate counts as part of the car’s history, I’m guessing.

The only French I know is Chevrolet Corvette Coupe, but my XK120 FHC was originally sold to a French nightclub performer named Robert Lamouret who lived in Paris, and presumably it wore French license plates before it came to the US, so perhaps I can contribute something useful to this discussion.

Leaving out the alloy cars and only considering the steel cars, there are two different rear panels suitable for USA size plates, and two different panels suitable for European size plates. There are differences, not only in the obvious bolt pattern for attaching the license plate, but also the bolt pattern for attaching the panel to the boot lid. Mine was changed from the Euro size to the US size in the 1950s or 60s, but with the other panel attachment pattern, so I now have 8 holes in my boot lid.

We have had at least two discussions about these on this forum.

1 Like

Roger,

As you guessed: I kept the car as original “as possible”. I don’t mind to show the original “American” mounting holes. I did the same on my XK 140 (see pics).

Bob K.