Make the top fit the frame or the frame fit the top...?

Looked at my top today for practically the first time; I drive her every day that it’s dry, but if the weather is wet enough to need to put the top up then the car stays inside, so the tops lives folded down. Not sure of the manufacturer or installer but it looks quite new, however having been down almost permanently it’s shrunk, and my efforts to close it at the front have resulted in it partially pulling away from its anchoring at the back.

The fit around the back of the window leaves about a half inch gap - it seems to be more the shape of the frame than any shrinkage in the top, although there doesn’t seem to be any adjustment in the frame.

Is this as good as it’s likely to get? Should I try to make the frame fit the top or the top fit the frame…?

Thanks.

![IMG_0273|375x500](upload://kY622KpX2uLz8MrdNCjRe1vEIli.jpg

Also there is a sleeve in the hood fabric right by the frame mechanism - should the frame mechanism be inside that sleeve?

This is nit picking, admittedly, but presumably the sleeve is there for a purpose?

Hi Bob,
I can’t answer your questions regarding the frame, except that the frame can’t shrink.
It is however quite common for soft tops to shrink if not in use. Unfold it and leave it in the sun for a while. As it ‘thows’ it will be able to streach out again. Try fitting it after a half hour or so, and eventually it should fit again.
Regards
Chris

Before untacking everything. I’d try one thing first. Soak it with a hose and slowly stretch it out. Loosen the clamps if need be so you can latch it (even though it won’t be all the way closed. Repeat if necessary and you may be able to stretch it back to full length. Allow it to dry in the garage, not in the sun. The problem with untacking the rear is that there isn’t a whole lot of room to spare there. The tacking strip is 1" max width. Some combination of the two approaches might be necessary.

The sleeve you pointed to is meant to be exactly where it is. It’s extra padding to prevent the frame from rubbing a hole in the top.

I think it’s worth a shot but honestly it looks very shrunk, like an inch or more. You might not get that back. Also have you tried doing this with the windows down? It looks to me from the first photo, that your rear horizontal cantrail is out of adjustment and is hitting the glass too soon. That might be a big part of your problem.

On some tops a metal disc was slipped inside that pocket to better protect the top.

Do both side windows fit like that? The other alternative is that it is not the top and not the frame - but a window that is out of whack.

Window fit and gap at the back of each is the same on both sides.

I would say the top has simply shrunk due to lack of use and simply leaves a gap behind the window, but I have managed to gently stretch it enough that I can actually clamp it shut at the front but still those gaps are there.

See attached picture where you can see I have pulled so hard forward that some of the rear and side fittings have pulled out, yet still the gap.

Perhaps the windows themselves are the wrong windiows…

I’m not sure the window gap is from shrinkage.

Its always been my understanding and practice that the hood should be up and latched whilst in storage to prevent this shrinkage.

Quite the correct storage behavior, of course. Would work if I didn’t drive it at least once a day…rain permitting…and always with the top down.

Born British I am very fortunate to now live in California, though now Northern-ish (25 miles South of San Francisco) rather than the Southern (Newport Beach, Irvine, etc.) in which I found myself upon arriving on these shores in 1992. Growing up on the south coast of England (Portsmouth/Southsea) we would spot any small patch of blue/lighter grey sky coming in amongst the black clouds over the Solent and ride our bikes as fast as we could either east or west along the Prom(enade) to make sure we made the best of those few minutes, sometimes seconds, of relative sunshine as it passed overhead.

“It’s brightening up, look!” is a quintessentially, if hopeful, English phrase. I smile every time I hear it when I’m home.

Back in the late 70’s/early 80’s my Dad worked for the Southern Electricity Board and (since he was an accountant) would save up his mileage allowance in order go to the local British Leyland dealership and buy an Austin Maxi, Princess, Ambassador, Maestro, etc. (happily never a Morris Marina/ Ital!) and while he did his paperwork, or (more likely) booked it into Service, I would creep up the other end of the dealership and try to sneak into the Jags without the salesperson noticing. I remember to this day the “thunk” the door of an XJS made compared to the “ting!” of the cars my Dad was buying at the other end.

But even then, though I was sitting in a new XJS I still was looking at the picture of an E-Type I could see on the wall through the windscreen.

“One day”, I thought, “one day” I shall have that car that shoots past all the grey/brown cars on the motorway like a red spaceship at twice the speed. I honestly never actually thought I would have one, but I did dream.

Dreaming wasn’t something us Brits were encouraged to do back then. “Just be thankful for what you’ve got, there’s a war on you know. Here’s an egg, make it last a week”. Even in 1976…

Now I live where it only rains some of the time instead of all of the time, I honestly never put the top up except to wash it. Actually with the E-Type I don’t even put it up then, I’m just careful with the water. Since jumping the pond to The Colonies I’ve been lucky enough to have owned convertibles, in chronological order: (firstly, filling the dream) an XJS, Audi TT, Lotus Elise, Aston Martin DB9, Maserati and now (alongside the Maserati) the E-type.

The E is obviously my favorite, it’s the only one you can drive without everyone loving the car but secretly (or not so secretly) hating the driver (me).

But I need to find a workable strategy to keep the top down without it shrinking, since that’s where it will stay 99.99% of the time.

Or maybe I don’t. Perhaps I should just buy a waterproof car cover for when I need to leave it out somewhere overnight…? The window gaps don’t exist when the top is down…

2 Likes

Fantastic story. I remember the depressing 1970’s very well

07714 759198

As one suggested, leave it outside in the sun to warm up before stretching. I did that when my S3 had a vinyl top and it made a big difference. With a fabric/mohair top I’d imagine adding some water to the fabric might help stretching the fabric.
BTW have you contacted one of the soft top fabricators for advice ?
Cheers … Ole

First time I raised the roof on the S2000, it didn’t want to know. It had been down for eight years So I left it partly raised for a day or so, going back several times to see if it would stretch to the windscreen to clamp. Eventually it did. Didn’t need any dampening.

About now (probably tomorrow or Friday) the hardtop will come off for the summer. The rag top may need two goes to get it to shut properly.

What an image - I recall a line from ‘Sense & Sensibility’ (the movie) - ‘There’s a patch of blue, let’s chase it!’.

I do wonder about the door glass as the fit around those is (so far as I can tell) dictated by the metal frame which isn’t very susceptible to either adjustment or shrinkage.

FHC & OTS have different door glass though I have never examined them closely enough to see what differs.

My top shrank until it was pulling the wood bit apart long the rear of the cock pit - in the end the only solution was to replace the top which should buy me some years before it too shrinks from lack of use.

Rob, you may find this solution that I used until I modified a tonneau to fit my OTS. Look at Moss Motors Interior cover (pn.237-800). It’s for a TR-6, but will keep leaves, light sprinkles, wandering eyes from messing up the E-Type interior with little modification. Works for me! Don.

I made one of those from a bedsheet sprayed with CampDry.

Snaps across the back, ties at the door handles and wipers.

Folds down to a very small size, but can handle light rain or heavy morning dew.

2 Likes

In your first shot there is a screw adjacent to the rear of the window. I “think” if you loosen this off there is the potential to pivot the metal piece closer to the window.

My gaps were as bad but the upholster has managed to fix through the adjustments that can be made.

Stew

Does the driver side have the same gap ?

Marco

Yep, same both sides.

Hmm, I’ll get out there tonight and take a look. Thanks for the hope…

Hmm, was the gap correct at some point ?