Mk2 Brake Servo overhaul kit?

Hi guys, does anyone know where I can get a repair kit for my original '64 servo cylinder body ?

I have new kits for the Diaphragm and slave cylinder but really would prefer to also renew the gasket ( No 39 ) between the servo cylinder body/drum and its lid plus the ‘leather cup’ seal ( No 28 in service manual). This, on my car, appears to have an inner aspect of some type of rope with the perimeter clad with rubber. Not sure why the manual refers it to being ‘Leather cup’.
Is it crucial this is in perfect condition to ensure perfect functioning ? My own just has a little roughness to the rubber in one area hence my preference to renew it. Thanks in advance to any replies.

Hi.
I’ve been looking for pretty much the same items myself for my 340 servo. It appears that some of the parts are now unobtainable or very difficult to locate.
I was agonising over it for several days until i saw on ebay that david menners do a replacement servo kit for £96, so i decided to order one and see how it goes. I dont think its worth all the hastle of rebuilding the servo when the cost of the separate parts where adding up to approx£70 and still some parts not located. The new servo kit for another £26 was, in my eyes a no brainer.
Cheers.
Ebay item number…
Last one left.

Item# appears dead…

You may be trying to find parts for the servo on the right which was the original one in my 1965 3.8S. When it developed a small vacuum leak (might be expected after 50 plus years) the shop replaced it with the type on the left which seems to be the standard work around these days. Seems to work just fine.

Try ‘jaguar mk2 brake servo kit’.
It should come up as the first one on lhe listing…

Try past parts and J and L spares here in the UK.

I contacted Past Parts and have sent off my slave cylinder to them to re-sleeve it with a S/Steel insert. Hopefully all will work out ok. Thanks for every ones input here.
Eugene

I can’t find the listing but I wonder whether this kit is actually for the later servo like the E Types used.

I recently overhauled my Mk2 brakes as part of putting in a bigger engine.

I installed a later model Lockheed unit as parts for the 6 7/8" booster are not available.

I had to slightly modify the mounting points on the nacelle that holds the booster onto the inner guard. The brakes are excellent, better than any of my E types.

Hi Tony sorry for delay in my reply. Thanks for searching for the kit. As I had said in my last post the cylinder is away to be re-sleeved with a S/S insert. I have managed to get a ‘new old stock’ kit for the servo drum from ebay.

Ok. No probs. Good luck with the servo re-build.
Not fitted my replacement yet as the car is in bits for a full restoration, but hopefully we’ll both have good brakes when finished…

Hi There - I bought a Mark 2 3.8 Manual with overdrive last November but it has got a problem with the brakes - when slowing down virtually to walking pace the brakes suddenly lock on and bring the car to an immediate halt. A light tap on the brake pedal releases the brakes and off we go until it happens again. I have been told by people whose opinion I value that it could be the brake booster. Any thoughts would be much appreciated and if it is the problem, is the best replacement booster to buy a 3.0 to 1 boost ratio or 4.25 to 1 boost ratio. The main supplier is offering both. Thanks Ian W

In my experience the boost level of the original item is more than adequate. The difficulty is obtaining spares to rebuild it.

I overhauled my brakes recently when I put in a 4.2 engine.

Although my original booster worked I wasn’t happy to just put it back untouched. All I found on offer was the 4.25 booster, so I bought that.

This physically fits fine in the mounting nacelle but the bolt pattern is different so you need to modify it for this.

With the 4.25 booster the brakes work well; to be honest I can’t really tell the difference.

Hi Andrew,

Many thanks for the prompt and helpfull reply – I think I will go with the 4.25 Barratt unit and hope for the best.

I should have commented that my car has previously had Coopercraft discs and callipers fitted to the front end so the braking performance is pretty good as it is apart from the irritating locking-on condition I described.

Regards,

Ian Wilkins

Hi Ian, I’m having a similar problem with brakes locking and then releasing after a couple of minutes.
Did renewing the booster solve your problem?
Thanks Steve

I bought the ‘uprated’ 4.25 unit from SNG Barratt over 5 years ago,. Most of the time it works fine, but when,due to unfavorable traffic conditions on a warm day, the pedal seems to ‘lock up’, I give the peda; two quick taps with my fott, then all is well once again. I don’t know what causes this, but I just learned to live with it, along with the other peculiar quirks these cars occasionally exhibit.

1 Like

That can also be caused by a sticking master cylinder piston that does not easily and quickly return to its fully home position. Also, how old are your rubber flex brake lines? These can deteriorate internally and act like a one way valve. Happened to me once with the one for the clutch which is at the back of the cylinder head on an S Type.

1 Like

Hi Steve,

At this stage I have just been putting up with the problem as we are in the Australian winter and the car does not get much use although by coincidence I did do a quick trip round the block yesterday just to keep things moving.

I have talked to the Mark 2 Register guys in our Jaguar Club and the consensus certainly seems to suggest a booster problem and after looking closely at my car it looks to have been fitted with an aftermarket Barratt booster at some stage, so this will be the way to go replacement wise together with the rear flexible hose which looks a bit old. My car has also had a Coopercraft front brake upgrade just to add to the complications…

Also I do get the impression that the problem can be temperature related and is worse in the summer when things get hot rather than now when it is cool…

Regards,

Ian Wilkins

I had the ‘sticking on’ problem with mine when hot.

This winter i replaced the servo and the master cylinder and it’s fixed.

But i won’t know which it was :slightly_smiling_face:

I bought to 3-1 servo from SNG Barratt but now i wish I’d taken the opportunity to get the 4.25 as, although the brakes are very good a bit less pedal pressure would be welcome.

1 Like

Reading the previous replies I am now convinced most likely the sticking problem is temperature related. I replaced the rubber brake hoses some time ago, and if, indeed, the hoses were the culprit, rather than hot temperatures, the problem should have reared its ugly head during cold weather, during which it never has.

Hi Ian, thanks for your reply. Not an easy job (4 me) with the engine being in :frowning: but I think a new booster is the way to go. Cheers