MKIV Cigar Lighter Fuse Holder

Thank you, Peter.

You guidance is always appreciated.

My MKV has the three spool type and is fine. Perhaps the MKIV will benefit from the solid state regulator?

With my thanks as always,

Tim

Ā£320.00 + post! I nearly fainted. :scream: Thatā€™s $600.00 AUD!

Iā€™ll keep looking for a good original one.

I received my fuse holder from Holden today, ordered Oct 27 so 13 days in transit from UK to USA. Well wrapped in corrugated cardboard and plastic bubble wrap.
The mounting hole spacing is 1-13/16" so the holes in my scuttle that I previously thought were right are not.

However, looking again I find I have another hole which I didnā€™t pay attention to before because it looked too big, that now I see has been torn out, and the spacing is right, so it probably was originally for mounting this fuse box.

Right now there is no wire at all going to the lighter socket.
Anybody know what gauge wire and amperage fuse I should use? Not that Iā€™ll be using the lighter, but maybe something like a tablet charger.

Hi Rob,

Mine has yet to arrive. Are you happy with the quality?

Tim

Hi Rob, if you are talking about the original lighter socket, it was manufactured before the current standard became the industry standard (probably in theā€™50s) and todayā€™s standard accessory plugs are not compatible for size or for making contact.

Cordell Newby at Western Jaguar in the U.S. had a brilliant copy with the same style of lens, but made as a standard lighter/socket. He was out of stock a while ago and I donā€™t know if he proceeded with replenishment.

I found this fellow on eBay. Just put this Item Number into the search bar. Heā€™s in the USA. It might be the ā€˜standardā€™ size? It canā€™t hurt to ask. eBay item number:

Tim

It looks definitely like the standard type because of the heat shield, and confirmed by their description. If I were missing one, I would have one of these.

Iā€™m happy with the quality from Holden, in fact it says Made in England on it and if itā€™s not new I would have thought it was NOS.
I have a couple of those 35 amp fuses courtesy of Roger. :smiley:
A lot of the wiring is 14 gauge so if nobody has a better feeling Iā€™ll go with that.
I got one of those lighters from Cordell a year ago.

1 Like

The reproductions do ā€œlook the partā€ but they are a smaller diameter so you canā€™t put the modern lighter in the original holder.

Peter

I bought one for my MKV, though have yet to fit it. I wonder if it would charge an iPhone, being positive earth and drawing charge from a generator? Iā€™m sure I couldnā€™t have any lights on while I did this! :smile:

I swapped my car over to negative earth for various reasons and I put a small fuse in my cigar lighter supply and can plug my sat nav in there now.

Peter

I remember the conversation we had about that some time ago. Iā€™m really not that concerned about charging anything (I was being cheeky) as I take a few charging batteries with me to last all day.

Tim

So I thought I would put the fuse box on, discovered the 2BA cheese head screws I picked out donā€™t fit, head to big for the recessed holes in the fuse box.
Does anyone know what size and head the screws should be?
The head canā€™t be larger than .260"
#6-32 round heads fit, but they seem awful small.
BTW this may be a date stamp on the box, 45 79, so maybe it is NOS after all?
IMG_20201112_104148561
And I discovered there is a plywood footboard in the way, Iā€™ll have to remove it to get the nuts on the screws.

Turn the heads down on a lathe? Or failing that, on a drill with a file?

Peter

Hi Rob,

Mine arrived today. It does look like NOS. Mine has the numbers 37260A 13 81.

Tim

Andā€¦thatā€™s exactly what I did, worked out fine.

Pity - tried to order one- been waiting few months but nothing so far

Did you order one from him on eBay and it hasnā€™t turned up?

Tim

Yes - the lighter - still trying to fill the holes in the dashboard!

Richard Carter