Monza oil filler cap anyone?

Modeling clay is an invaluable tool to keep in the shop for measuring clearances. I stuck a piece on top of the oil filler cap and closed the bonnet, then opened it and checked the clearance. The picture speaks for itself; a tad over 1" clearance between the upper edge of the filler cap and the bonnet, because the edge of the filler cap sticks up 1/2" higher than the edge of the cam cover.

Umā€¦ the site is Jag-Lovers: the forum is E Type.

1 Like

Yes. You just use whatever size cap the engine starts out with and the turn it down to form a collar/spigot/sleeve (add alternative technical word to taste.:slight_smile:) and match the OD of that collar to the ID of the cap neck. The example shown on my E used XJ ribbed cam covers.

Thatā€™s good, and Iā€™d like to see what clearance would exist on the outboard side of the cap, where my concern lies.

Ahh of course !! GTJoeys recent posts have featured comments re his MK2,
theres my mistake.

1 Like

You just want to see how many times you can make me run up and down the stairs to the garage. :smiley:

In the below picture the red line denotes clearance of 1-1/8", the blue line denotes 1-1/2". Itā€™s going to vary with each car, but not by over a 1/4" Iā€™d guess.

2 Likes

Hrm: it might be too close for comfort, with the upright Monza cap.

Is that the moss/ Sng?
Because the SC one from England looks a lot lower

Sorry guys
Iā€™ve been off the computer for a bit
Washed the Etype and took it to church
Yes this cap is for the Etype possibly.
There seems to be another lower version in the U K from S C thatā€™s a tad lower?
Anyone know of that?
Bleeding the brakes with this bleeder is a pleasure
I redid it again and will wait a day and do again
Itā€™s night and day and balancing the pedal height to offset the Zeus brakes makes this an interesting project!
Guys Iā€™m at 2,000 rpm at 50
2500 at 60 and 3,000 rpm at 70
With the 185 tires ishhhhh
If there is one weak spot left
Itā€™s the transmission
Iā€™ve got a 6,000 mile run coming and a birdie flew in my ear about a great company making 5 speedsšŸ˜€
So we shall see
Trying to have fun
Geneva would have been great butā€¦
Get details on that cap!
Gtjoey1314

All ears about that 5 speed upgrade!!

John, That is a real smart ideaā€¦Thank you.
gtjoey1314

MG, Did you get that from Moss? SNG?

Hi Joeyā€¦Im in the UK and have just see your post on the UK forumā€¦another forum member had a batch of the caps and had the adaptors madeā€¦iv contacted him to see what the current situation is on stockā€¦will get back in touch with you as soon as i get a replyā€¦all the bestā€¦Steve

Thank youā€¦
gtjoey1314

Il look when not in a car, but let me ask my question: is there a Monza cap for the "later*, smaller diameter oil cap of the SII/III cam cover?

Ithought they were all the same just no lettering, Im talking height from base up on cam coverā€¦
seems a company in england has a funnel base not a flangeā€¦

You mean the cap on later XJ6 saloons that is bayonet rather than threaded?

The type of cap with the bar across fits into a smaller threaded hole compared with the early type.

Thatā€™s the one! I could always source one, and just have my fab guy weld it to my spare cam cover.

Not with you Paul, I talking the standard Jaguar cap with bar.