Need front bumper bracket for 52 XK 120 OTS

I am searching for this part:
Jaguar Bumper Bracket, “Cowhorn” Behind Front Bumpers C3831

Being told it is backordered until end of April. I could have it fabricated if anyone had a drawing they would like to share.

Since my go to parts supplier has closed down for the month of April I am still without the part: Jaguar Bumper Bracket, “Cowhorn” Behind Front Bumpers C3831. The 1952 XK120 OTS is in for front end repair and paint which is supposed to be completed by end of next week. Can anyone offer any potential sources for this part? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Have you tried the used parts suppliers, Welsh for instance.

Thanks for the note on Welsh, I have emailed them and hope to hear from them Monday.

No drawing, but here’s a couple of pics of one of mine in primer. 31 inches of 3/16” x 1-1/4” bar stock.

image image

Edit: if you want the pics at high definition, or more detail, let me know

Not my car. It really looks like Texas longhorns, doesn’t it.

for my supercharged (in period) race car which ran without bumpers I have made this in aluminum along with all the mounting pieces to wings and sidecreen knobs and end plugs for cockit roll
probably saved 6lb/ 3kg !

Nick, much thanks for the photos and measurements. I am finding out that the front bumper system on the 120 is quite complex and the part you show is the spring bar that is mounted to the “longhorn” mount that is attached to the frame. I really appreciate you help!

Rob also posted a photo that is the part that I am searching for, thank you Rob…

Ah. Terminology gets me into difficulty once again. That piece is 2”x1/4” stock cut out from a single larger plate but could be fabricated from five pieces of bar stock. What you need is a pattern, but here are a few pics:

image image image

simple lazer cut job made several in steel and a couple in alluminiun complete with holes and then bend to shape

for my supercharged (in period) race car which ran without bumpers I have made this in aluminum along with all the mounting pieces to wings and sidecreen knobs and end plugs for cockit roll
probably saved 6lb/ 3kg !

1 Like

Here you go, Phil. This is 1/4" graph paper, three pages. Print out in colour so you can see the blue lines, cut at vertical demarcation, tape pages together.

XK120 bumper support member C3831 .pdf (996.7 KB)

You do know that you have to put this thing into the front of the body before reuniting the body with the frame. It may be possible to get it in once the body’s on the frame but it would be a bear of a job if so.

1 Like

Nick, you are amazing! Cant thank you enough for all your help with this. I have heard that this part us very difficult to install with the body on, I will keep you posted on our progress.

Again your assistance with this is greatly appreciated!

You’re welcome. Note that the above is not a drawing but a pattern. The graph paper was laid over the piece, bends and all, and traced.

If the body’s on the frame you may find it better to fab the thing in two pieces to allow easier installation then weld them together in situ.

That may be the best approach… I will let you know how it goes…thanks again!

One more pic to help with the fab. Tip to tip the piece measures 46.5”.

Someone’s who good with Photoshop… :rofl:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.amazon.com%2FNear-Deer-Taxidermy-Longhorn-Off-White%2Fdp%2FB07658G4KY&psig=AOvVaw2rc6B9o7azc8EFDEGLMC0s&ust=1587402566723000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAIQjRxqFwoTCIi8gMP99OgCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAJ

Paul, thats a nice rack!

Vy, thenk you, Herr Doktor!

:grimacing:

I have a cowhorn removed from a 1952 XK120 available in Virginia (see pic) as well as some of the other front bumper brackets. Contact me off list.

Bruce, Great thanks!