New engine--Another V-12 vs Chevy small block

what? No ignition amplifier?

PACKARD automobile had an advertising ad years ago that said “Ask the man who owns one.”

I have several converted cars (and some of the same model that are matching #s). These include Rolls Royces (3) and Jaguars (3). I absolutely love the converted cars because I do not have to “tinkle” with them. I drive them with total confidence. The matching #s cars make me wonder what to do if there is a problem. Basically, I cannot enjoy them because of a fear whether it be psycholigical or not. When I read about the problems the listers have, it makes me apprecuate my converted cars more. I drive the converted cars as daily drivers and enjoy them immensively. Some have said that when converting the car it will destroy the value. The value is what one is willing to pay. I have been offered much more for the converted cars because there are those who want the styling and the dependabilty (and are willing to pay). An example is my 79 Rolls Royce Silver Shadow with a 350/400. This week I was offered $30,000 for it (but will not sell). Long story short, if you do NOT enjoy working on cars constantly and do NOT want to work on them on a regular basis, go with the conversion. The reason the 350 is popular is because of the cost. A factory crate 350 is about $1800. The 400 tranny is about $1200. My converted cars with the 350 are super fast (and not much to go wrong). John’s Car kits are complete and any good mechanic can do the conversion. A well done conversion will be almost identical to the OEM except when you open the bonnet with no difference in handling, ride or quietness! Contact me directly if there are any questions. One of my Jaguars was converted 33 years ago!

Richard

2 Likes

Yah, what he said…

Or…

Sort your V12 out properly and enjoy! :slight_smile:

I can see how a person could get a lot satisfaction from either choice.

Cheers
DD

2 Likes

2 Likes

Thanks! I am leaning toward a conversion. Now just trying to decide Small Block or Big Block.
Jep

LS3 LS3 LS3 [quote=“Jeptha, post:26, topic:376071, full:true”]

Thanks! I am leaning toward a conversion. Now just trying to decide Small Block or Big Block.
Jep
[/quote]

...…………..

Thanks! I am leaning toward the Chevy 350. Just trying to decide whether to go Small Block or Big Block. If you don’t mind, which is yours? I want the super fast so if the 350 small block is what is working for you, then this might take care of this piece of the puzzle.
Again, thanks for your input it has helped greatly.
Jep

around twenty yrs ago a guy did a BIG BLOCK 454 swap to a series 2 Jag!
had the GM 400 trans, and it ran great ,except no traction , JAGUAR rear suspension was NOT ever designed for HIGH torque, ripped out cage mounts, whole rear cage went cattywumpus sideways!

tried to sell it for $3500, 1yr1/2 later took $1500. for it!

actually a good driver,fast enough for most road kill, anyway lumps have little value but can be great cars for everyday cruising!

i have my XJS roadster , because its a V12 cylinder car , i would have never put $30K+ into a $500. dollar bucket if it was not 12 cylinders! the SOUND is always amazing, and hypnotic!

NOW for you guys that are not aware of reality, JAGUARS CAN BE VERY ADDICTIVE AND POSSESIVE OF THERE OWNERS!!!

just see how much money is spent on potential junk cars , on this site?
ronwild%20cat%2Cburnout%20006

1 Like

Go small block fuel injected
Grjoey

Thanks! I will throw that into the mix of considerations.
Jep

Gotta admit, that’s pretty cheap.

After all this discussion I feel lucky to have a good representative 88. .v12…had it now 11 years …kept inside…
drove in good weather. …bought it at 18000 miles…now 45000… I drive it sensibly. .like a luxury Rolls Royce…feel privileged to drive it…some times I get upset until I understand some of the idiosyncrasies. …why waste time and money modifying when you can buy speed out of any Cadillac showroom that is faster and will get you traffic tickets …I opt to be a little conservative and pragmatic. Of course if one has lots of money to throw in and really likes to work that hard…well then MODIFY !FB_IMG_1558958131377

But, that is only the beginning!! A lot more needed. $'s Ask me!!!

DITTO on that $.
ron

There is no weight saving of 400lbs with a Chev. The 350/400 weighs 600lbs and the V12 weighs 650lbs.
The LS engines weigh more than 400lbs. Don’t know were you got your weights from.

If you convert go LS they are to affordable now not to use the best . It will give you more performance and dependable ! I purchased a XJS that had a jons kit with an small block Chevy and had a LS put in the place along with a 4160E trans and vintage air . Classics with LS drive train will make the car more marketable for the masses if you resale it.

In my opinion, the major point here is that you already have a 5-speed for the V12. Why on earth ditch that to go back to a three-speed auto?

1 Like

Hey Jeptha…Check this out:

https://www.lowmileageparts.com/Product.aspx?ProductId=317844&gclid=Cj0KCQjwu-HoBRD5ARIsAPIPenfIiht_vmdq97jA_EQnQ8Qch5nHIkSzWwDB1OhMD_jiCYtcSYPmdnQaAj3lEALw_wcB#.XRlNxXUpC2c

Thanks Nick! That is one of the steps I have been slowly taking, to find what will work with the 5-speed manual. It is too much fun and powerful to give up.

Jep