New engine--Another V-12 vs Chevy small block

Roderick, Thanks for the send! I believe I looked into this company in the past and if this is the same group then I decided not to try them. What I read from the reviews was pretty bad: not sending what was ordered, not being able to get in contact or no one would solve the issue. There were a lot of bad reviews. I also tried to contact them by phone and email to ask some questions but I never was able to get anyone to return an email or call. If know something about them that might change my mind. I would buy that engine if that is what they would send and if I could some info on it BUTā€¦

Jep

That is probably what I will do if I canā€™t find a good V-12 out there. There is a member on this forum that I have been in touch with who a V-12 with 80,000 miles on it. I am going to get some more info on that engine from him as soon as I can.
Thanks,
Jep

1 Like

Umā€¦ is that picture REALLY a Jaguar 12?

And for less than $3 grand?

Color meā€¦ doubtful.

Jepthaā€¦ I am so sorry. I did not check their ratings before sending you the link.
Man, these guys are on the Better Business Bureauā€™s frequent flyer list!
Have never seen a company with an"F" rating beforeā€¦
https://www.bbb.org/us/nj/wyckoff/profile/wholesale-auto-parts/low-mileage-parts-0221-24002012/complaints

Thanks for trying! I guess they havenā€™t gotten any better. Looks like the complaints have continued to pile up since I looked into them.
Jep

What colour do you want Paul? Puce would look good I think :slight_smile:

Better than the screaming yellow zonker valve covers!

:smirk:

That explains a lot.

Does the V12 have the Marelli Ignition?

I have been busy of late so had to put the project on hold. I guess I am going with a swap engine. I was going to get a GM/Chevy LS376/480 495 HP Cammed LS3 but I found a Chevy 5.3L 400HP swap at PowerTrain Products Inc for half the price so I will have a good bit for other upgrades (ideas on upgrades anyone?). My problem is getting everything to go with it. I was wanting to get the OSD small block kit from Johns Cars in Texas but this engine is a long block so the kit wonā€™t work and it also wouldnā€™t work with the Crate engine I was looking at. I can get some parts (motor mount, springs, super duty radiator) from Johns Cars but there are parts that I will need that I will have to find somewhere else. Any suggestions? I will need the Harness, etc.
Thanks,
J.C.

Thanks! I am just getting back to the project and ready get it started. I looked at a crated LS3 and I am now looking seriously at a Chevy 5.3 400HP Hot Rod Swap but it isnā€™t a small block so the kit from Johns Cars wonā€™t work. Any good suggestions on a really good small block fuel injected?
Thanks,
J.C.

The Chevy stuff is easy but
Ever try a Lexus swap?
Quiet
Never breaks
But a lot of out side the box thinking
Or try electric something?
Ok pile on everyone hey it ainā€™t my projectšŸ˜€

If I were contemplating serious heart surgery I would go electric. I have seen conversions done with an electric motor inside each wheel hub, and a big chunk of Li-Ion battery where the original engine sat. It would be heart breaking - but at some point, in the not too distant future, the liberals will outlaw high capacity, petrol engines. Iā€™d rather have a drivable Jag, with a wickedly fast 0-60 (electric beats the pants off petrol at acceleration) than have a museum piece stuck in the garage.

Why make this a partisan, political issue?

Start with Andrew Weinberg. Jaguar-specialties. does the later Chevrolet alloy engines. Circa San Jose.

Check the somewhat dormant Lump forum here and search for past posts from Andrewā€¦

The harness thing is an issue. very complex. Out of my league by miles.

Carl

IMO the weak link to this chain is the stock diff & IRS, especially the 4 rubber mounts. Iā€™ve replaced them 3 times banging shifts. With a 5sp it compounds things. Two other obstacleā€™s is getting someone to set up the diff correctly so it doesnā€™t whine or clunk, itā€™s a royal PITA removing & replacing the diff pumpkin twice. I work on my own V12 but it must true, V12 techs @ Jag dealers are really hard to come by in the US, I was told this by Bobby Rahal.

Thanks for the lead. I will give him a look.

I donā€™t think the big oil lobbyists will ever let that happen. Especially once they figure out they are doing more harm to the earth and more pollution making all those big batteries. And then the dumping fields when they are done. I will take my chances with the hot rods (they would probably have to grandfather those already out there in anyway). But thanks!

I installed a stock Chevy 454, built my own headers, mated to a th400 in my 86 xjs about 10 years ago and havenā€™t had any issues. I drive it gently as I love the torque. Pulled the engine & trans from a motorhome and do my own fabrication, total cost from start to finish about $1500. Retired, on a fixed income, and lotsa smiles per mile. Do what your skills allow.

3 Likes

Ah, the ā€œTonawanda Terror!ā€

IIRC, the truck version had 4-bolt mains, and a longer stroke, for even MORE torques!

1 Like