New Jaguar owner

I am feeling disadvantaged being new to this site. How do I check PM’s?

Hi Maddy:

If you look at the icon on the top right of your screen, the “M” in the grey circle, and click on it you will see an envelope indicating a private message. Usually, if you have been contacted privately there will be a number showing below you icon, thus advising you to click on and read same. By the way, welcome to the Forum. A wealth of information and advice is found here. I will also vouch for what has been said about Charles, he was the first person to contact me when I joined this group many years ago and is more than willing to share his expertise.

Chris.

1 Like

Maddy;
If you sent a PM to me, it hasn’t come thru as of 0-21-2020 at 12:43 Cent Time.
On being a member of this “XK-List”, I believe I actually “signed-on” around 1999 when we bought a “Windows 98SE” computer… before that, I use to “lurk & reply”, about once a month, using my sister-in-law’s computer… then the Admin’s figured-out “non-members” could post queries and replies and they put a stop to that!!
With respect to that “near-do-well” ;-} Mike Spoelker, he is on the “Deacons List of Backsliders” as he has NOT attended ANY of the “Sir William Lyons XK-120 Full Gospel Tabernacle of Originality” services in a LONG time!! (I did see him once, out behind the “services” with a bottle of something… probably that “seal swelling” stuff that’s advertized to stop oil leaks… The makers never tested it on XK Jaguars!!). It should be noted that ANYTHING Mike S. tells you about an “XK”, can be taken straight to the bank!!
And, YES!! I am in Texas (is there anyplace else???-- only place I know where one can drive 300 miles while maintaining a 100mph AVERAGE!! (in the XK120DHC, of course!!) AND never see ANY form of law enforcement!!
Mike quoting "Da Rev’und Willie Nelson, is “almost” correct… I’ve been mistaken a time or two, but, by gawd, I’m NEVER Wrong!! And with respect to “being different”… I’ll simply reply to that with a firm “Hell Yeah!!” I also live by the creed of: “If you can’t have fun, There AIN"T no since in goin’ !!”
Charles
Ch #677556 Purchased from First Owner in May 1967!
PS: Given you have Wire Wheels, you “probably” have an “SE” FHC… so, Chassis # should begin with S679XXX. Engine number should start with “W” if built before mid-53… with an “F” after that. IF, on the other hand, “someone” mucked around and replaced head or engine, the “Brass Commission Place” (on the firewall) will list the “as left factory” Chassis, Engine, Body and Gearbox Numbers… ceb

2 Likes

Click my avatar: hit ‘Message’, then send me one.

Thank you! I will record the numbers and post them when I am able to locate them on the car at some point in the near future.

Maddy

Maddy, welcome to forum! You should know there are consequences to posting the full set of your car’s numbers on Jag-Lovers, and you may regret it later.

Most likely the numbers You report here will be passed onto other websites, such as XKdata.com, without your permission. This can result in fake sales ads for your XK120 appearing on Ebay or other Internet sites.

All anyone on this list really needs to assist with repair or restoration advice is the general area where your Chassis Number falls, minus the last two digits. For example: 6796xx.

If you eventually have specific repair questions about your engine or gearbox, then at that point post those numbers. But until that need arises, I would hold off on posting those numbers.

1 Like

Sage advice. But rather post numbers I wish to know that the numbers match. The previous owner has the paperwork on the car but has suffered a head injury. He has been in the hospital and now in rehabilitation. It may be some time before I actually get the numbers from any source. When I do I would only mention the numbers match.

Maddy

1 Like

Charles,

You sound like quite the character, one who enjoys the simple pleasures of motoring in your xk120. I will eventually look for and match numbers. The car sits in the previous owner’s garage with stacks of boxes around it making it difficult to stand next to the car let alone bend over it looking for numbers. When I set the car free from its resting place I will be able to tell more. Do chime in on any of my posts as I begin the journey to bring the car to running condition.

Maddy

I see I did in fact misspoke on this reply. I will not post numbers but will post whether they match the factory numbers. Is there a build sheet on these cars?

I put air in the tires. Not sure of the pressure but gave them 32 psi. For 24 hours they seem to hold air just fine.
Maddy

My spinners look better than that image you posted so since I cannot find a hammer to toolkit with the car I’ll have to purchase a hammer.

What I used.

Falls 5lb Lead Hammer for Knock Off Wire Wheel-Made in USA https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07SBJZQ2C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_X5iDFb1SBSF1A

Thanks, Maddy.

The fact that the tires are holding air suggests that the tubes aren’t damaged and that the car can probably be moved about safely for some time.

You’ve certainly been deluged with advice. I’m a old-guy, longtime XK owner and will be happy to answer personal questions.

Good luck,

Dick

(San Diego)

Not in the sense of Vettes and muscle cars, but you can get a Heritage Certificate from JDHT. You have to give them all the numbers, and they will tell you whether they match the production record. They will not supply any missing numbers.

Personally I can’t get worried about having put my numbers out on the internet for 25 years, as it is more establishing proof that I own it.
In fact google Jaguar and my chassis number and you get hundreds of my posts.

You are best logging chassis number and history of you car on xkdata as it provides a definite line of existence and proof of ownership etc it is cars that aren’t listed that someone is more likely to use the chassis number on a clone this is of course unusual on say fhc normally it is roadsterr chassis numbers that get stolen.

Is this concern about a car’s numbers being used on a clone real or imagined? Anyone can get the VIN off a modern car by just looking at the bottom of the windshield. Even if someone could use the numbers, I can’t see how it would create any liability for the true owner. On the flip side, it would be nice to have information on the cars which are still in existence, and those that were manufactured close to the time of other cars. That is one of the benefits of XK Data and similar reports which have been published for years in XK Gazette.

There was a Gull Wing Mercedes in the States that had a serial number which was the same as one here in NZ. Mercedes investigated and came to the conclusion that the car in the US was a fake, the perpetrators had used a continental 7 which I believe didn’t come into use until later than the cars manufacturing date.

Closer to home, I guess the problem steps in when you find two or three cars claiming the same chassis number, usually when there is something about that particular number which would bump up the price, such as XK120 FHC 679002 for example, or a restored car that has a cloned number because the original number could not be found or established.
Caveat emptor.
So having established my number very well on the internet, and with a clear chassis stamp, original ID plate and valid Illinois title, I don’t think it’s likely that anybody will clone a car using my number.

In Maddy’s case, he will receive a title (and likely other records) from the previous owner that go back many decades proving a history of ownership. It appears Terry and Rob are arguing that Maddy also needs to have his XK120 numbers on a public website to prove ownership.

If in the unlikely event his Chassis Number were to turn up on a stolen or cloned XK120, I would think the decades-old documentation in his possession would be far more dispositive than a 2020 enrollment in XKDATA.com.

But the issue I brought up earlier was that numbers posted on Jag-Lovers tend to flow directly to XKDATA without an owner’s permission. See for example S811036. Those numbers were posted on Jag-Lovers just a few days ago by a non-owner, and they were subsequently placed on XKDATA by a second Jag-Lovers poster and non-owner.

My point is if Maddy wants his numbers on XKDATA, or any other website, it should be his decision. He will forgo that decision by disclosing his numbers on Jag-Lovers.

Here is the latest on the 52XK120FHC:
The air is holding in the inner tubes almost a week now. That is good. I tried to push on the car to get it to roll forward or backward. I couldn’t budge it! Then I tried to pull on it with a nylon tow strap around the right front wheel axle using our Jeep to see if I could get it to budge. It did lunge forward but did not roll at all. The car has sat motionless for 15 years in this garage so maybe the brakes are seized up. This will be a fun move! I expect snowy weather to arrive soon so I do need to move the car soon. The house it is in is being purchased at years end which is another reason to move the XK.

Maddy

1 Like