New to Jag Lovers, just bought a 70 XKE coupe from original owner on BAT

A fifty-year dream comes true. I served in Vietnam way back and dreamed of purchasing one then but didn’t. So, what worked out is I bought this one from the original owner who served in Vietnam during the same time that I did. After his recent passing his family put it on BAT. I could not resist. Would love all the advice I can get about owning this. Thanks for your feedback. David

3 Likes

Hi Dave welcome ! How about some photos …we love to see them ….this forum is a great help and a friendly bunch of enthusiastic owners of E types…… from mechanical geniuses to those who just want to know “what’s this bit for”……

Enjoy your car and 50 year dream….drive hard and fast ….like you would have done 50 years ago ( all within the limits of both the car and law which you may have cared less about then)

3 Likes

Here is the beauty!!! Have not seen it yet, it is in Chicago, and I am in Maui! Original paint, Willow Green

3 Likes

Welcome to the J-L group David and thank you for your service way back when. I hope you got a decent welcome home from 'nam. Not all service guys did.

You’ll enjoy being a part of J-L as it is a great group of folks and so much knowledge about these cars. Also maybe look at the UK group which has many members in common with J-L and is a good info source as well: The 'E' Type Forum - Index page

I’ve an old friend, Gene Thomas, a pharmacist probably retired nowadays, who lives on Maui and to whom I sold my first '63 FHC E-type. Maybe he still has it. Your car looks great and I’ll bet you can’t wait to see it! More photos are always welcome from new members!

2 Likes

Thank you, Scot and Danny, for your welcome. Looking forward to all that J-L has to offer. My welcome back from 'nam was not all that good but I made it. I have not seen another E-type on Maui. Does Gene still have it? Do you know how to contact him here? If he does have it I would love to meet him. Be well, David

1 Like

Love it. Great story. We have a ‘70 Coupe in BRG in Chicago. Put about 150 miles on it last Saturday. We were annual travelers to the islands for several years until ‘19. If we get back out there I will look you up. Enjoy the car!

looks very original. congrats.

1 Like

That would be great Andy, would love to meet you here on Maui!

Congratulations David. I’m still in the dream phase but I’ll confirm what others have said, this is a great group of friendly and supportive people.

1 Like

Thank you CliveR, So glad that I was told about this great group. I am so new to Jag’s that I will need much help and ask stupid questions because I am so green with these. Keep dreaming!

No such thing as a stupid question here

2 Likes

we all own Jaguars, that should tell you all you need to know about our common sense.

2 Likes

Welcome David! I can relate to how excited you are. My story was I dreamed of owning an E-type for most of my adult life until I finally was in a position to buy and restore one in my 60’s. I smile every time I see her in my garage.

3 Likes

JCarey
Sounds like we shared the same dream. So glad yours came true too. Would love to see a pic of your beautiful Jag.

I’m afraid I’ve lost touch with Gene Thomas. I’ve tried to chase him through the car, but I lost the VIN to it! Keep hoping to see it some day. Arizona car so it was very clean.

1 Like

David,

It’s great to see that you made it to Jag-Lovers! There is no question concerning E-Types that has not been asked here, so you will never be alone if you have a problem. Do you know when your “new” E-Type will reach you in Maui?

-David

1 Like

Aloha David and Mahalo for letting me know about this site! The Jag is at SwapMotors/Ultima Raceworks in Chicago. They handled the sale. I asked them to check the brakes, A/C and repair the gauges. Also, they are putting on new tires that I had shipped there. Hoping to leave their shop in mid Oct and get to Maui sometime in November, fingers crossed. Cannot wait! Be in touch soon.

1 Like

Congratulations, David. Change the name a few times and your story would be that of many of us here on J-L and on the other side of the pond on E Type UK. I had lusted after one since I saw my first on in either '61 or maybe '62. The itch finally got scratched in 2008 and I’ve been grinning ever since. You’re in for some fun times with the car and in talking to folks who haven’t yet gotten their itches scrached! What’s the highest speed limit on Maui? I’ve always thought that the Islands would be the perfect place for an OTS with year-round comfortable temperatures for top down driving.

1 Like

Aloha Mark, Thank you for your reply. You are right it seems this is common among owners. So glad you have your dream coming true too. Speed limit highest is 65 mph. I drive a convertible, vette and an Alfa, around the island now. This will be a great addition. I have not seen another XKE on the island. Enjoy!!!