New to Jaguar community

That’s how I bought it, but yes! E Type configuration. The red is a little off-putting but perfect for a Concourse 'd Lemons

Funny, but I saw your bimmer in the garage so maybe I thought your were racing it or something.
gtjoey1314

Hello Mark - when you get the chance to raise the car up, would you mind posting a photo of the exhaust piping run - I have been thinking about running the exhaust pipes, like on an E-Type, under the differential, instead of through the differential, but never sure if it would work - also, another real helpful site is www.bernardembden.com/xjs/index.htm with lots of great photos and repair info - Tex Terry, II - 1991 XJS V12 Classic Coupe, 1986 XJS V12 Coupe - sent 1/28/2021 1424hrs. EST USA.

And apparently there are even straight 9s (though I think only for ships not cars)! A V10 would be easy enough. Wonder if any production motors run on 11 cylinders…other than a Jaguar V12 on an off day of course :wink:

1 Like

Ships have all sorts of nutty things. There are ship engines where apparently you can just choose however many cylinders you need for the power required. And when one of them malfunctions, you can just tie that one off and keep going on the others.

2 Likes

Cylinder deactivation is an interesting concept–I know some Ford 1Ls (and probably others too) offer that now on normal vehicles. Makes a three-banger into a two at idle and low speed. I wonder what the long term wear on the intermittently used cylinder will look like.

The cylinder deactivation is probably on a rolling cycle so they all take a rest in turn.

Oh that’s interesting–would make good sense to do it that way. For some reason I imagined that the special tech to turn off a cylinder would only be outfitted on one of them but I suppose it wouldn’t cost hardly anything extra to outfit them all with it. Though I wonder if a driver of a car with such an engine could feel different vibrations/engine feel dependent on which cylinder was taking a break.

That’s correct about ship engines…if i remember correctly… and 3_5_7_
9 are usually radials

This is an excellent list. I’ll add:

Inspect all hoses carefully.
Clean the PCV filter thingy under the breather pipe on the top of B bank. Dunk it in petrol for a bit.
Change the brake fluid! Be prepared for seized brake pistons too. Might be worth rebuilding all the calipers as a precaution if this has never been done. At least you don’t have ABS to go wrong.
Change the differential oil.
Renew the brake accumulator if it has one.
Grease all the suspension grease points. Check the wheel bearings too.
Check the injector wiring loom. Replace with quality wire if problems found.
Keep a fire extinguisher in the car.

If it’s not rusted out, you’ve done very well. You’ve probably still got a lot left to spend to get it running well, but that’s doable. A good shell can be hard to find and the car only has one once.

Honda Crosstour had cylinder deactivation, initially it was the same cylinders, but that was causing problems, so the had it random

The body is good, I will do a general refresh of all fluids. The brakes were done with calipers 4 years ago, I think I just need to do the fluid. It stops very well. Lots to keep me busy.

1 Like

You mentioned tires–what are you going to put on? Pirelli P600s are available but very pricey–probably would cost you twice the price you paid for the car for 4 of them! Cooper Cobras are available in the exact right size and can be had at Walmart or wherever for ~$125 a piece!

Also add to your list to inspect all the fuel lines in the trunk–old British rubber weeps eventually and can lead to gas smell and even liquid fuel leaks in the trunk! While doing those inspect in the sump tank too for rust/debris–that will give you some sense of the health of your fuel tank too!

And to echo everyone else, welcome to the forum!

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I will start on my to do list tomorrow, I did order a Haynes manual and will go through the car system by system.
I am thinking of getting a small lift to safely get the car up in the air, I had one in my old house and built a Cortina Mk1 with a Ford 5 L V8 for the Grassroots 2004 challenge. That was a fun project. BTW, the Cortina was just an empty shell, I did not destroy a running car.

Speaking of tires, a couple of months back I bought a set of 5 of these in the link to replace the 235 60-15 BF Goodrich and perhaps original Pirelli spare. Maybe just a 1/4" wider than the BF Goodrich tires, V-rated and hey, only $105 per tire. I really wanted to buy made in USA, but couldn’t find anything comparable for the price. So far I am favorably impressed. Just thought I’d share.

Galaxy R1 Tire by Vitour Tires Passenger Tire Size 245/60R15 - Performance Plus Tire

On 01/29/2021 1I am looking a Falken Pro touring A/S 225/70 15 for $85 each, I need all season here in the Pacific Northwest

Welcome to the best on-line forum for the Jaguar XJS.

1 Like

Thank you, I have learned so much already!

I remember seeing this for sale on craigslist in Seattle? Are you around here? Nice to have another XJS driving around the NW. Not many!

North of Seattle, Anacortes Washington